Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Genie Crashing

omgiv
Aspirant

Netgear Genie Crashing

I recently was propmted to upgrade the Genie app on my Mac.  I had not had any problems what so ever before the update but this latest update (2.4.22) crashes at least once a day.  I have the I have restarted my computer but that hasn't been a fix yet.  Anyone else experiencing problems with the lastes update?  Thanks!

Message 1 of 12
Don505
Aspirant

I am seeing the same problem with genie version 2.4.22 and MacOS 10.12.6 (Sierra) on a Mac BookPro, 15in, Retina, Late 2013.  I did not have the problem before I upgraded from MacOS 10.12.5.  The genie appears to function normally whenever I use it.  All of the failures have occured when other applications were running.  I just get the standard message from the OS that NETGEAR genie has crashed.  I have sent the crash dump to Apple.

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 2 of 12
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @omgiv and @Don505,

Please try uninstalling and re-installing the app.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 3 of 12
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @omgiv and @Don505,

I would like to follow up and check if you are still experiencing the issue.

Regards,

Dexter
Community Team

Message 4 of 12
Don505
Aspirant

Yes, the problem continues to occur about once per day.  It continues to occur when the program is not "foreground", but has been placed in the dock at lower right.  The crash may be associated with router activity (send/receive to/from internet) by other software.

This is after I deleted and reinstalled the current release of the "genie" as requested.  I continue to suspect that the problem has something to do with the changes in Apple's OS update from 10.12.5 to 10.12.6  as it appeared after the update was installed.  (Note: the update to OS 10.13 is due soon.)

Don

Message 5 of 12
omgiv
Aspirant

I just deleted the application and reinstalled it.  It seemed to be doing fine but when I came back to my computer, the app had crashed and closed.  I am also running 10.12.6.  Thank you for checking in.

Message 6 of 12
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Don505,

Please try updating to the latest version of the app (2.4.26).

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 7 of 12
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Don505,

I would like to follow up and check if you are still experiencing the issue.

Regards,

Dexter
Community Team

Message 8 of 12
Don505
Aspirant

I installed the new version of the Genie Monday afternoon.  It has not crashed since.  So that is about 6.5 hours so far without a "has stopped working" message from MacOS 10.12.6.  I think that you have fixed the problem, but I'm not "sure" yet.  I'd suggest giving it a few more days to be sure.

Great work.  These are never easy.

Don

Message 9 of 12
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Don505,

Thank you for the update. Please keep us posted.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 10 of 12
Don505
Aspirant

No more crashes of the Genie with Mac OS 10.12.6 "Sierra" with the Genie software update to version 2.4.26.

Thank you,    Don

PS: Unfortunately, a new major update of the Mac OS to 10.13 "High Sierra" is coming out.

Message 11 of 12
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Don505,

We have the Genie successfully installed and running without issues on High Sierra in our lab.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7