Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Genie Questions

Mike9874
Aspirant

Netgear Genie Questions

Ok guys, I have the desktop version of genie, using the R6300 router.
Seems to work kinda ok, but the option on the network map for "Turn on access control" does nothing, just spins then dies.
So what is this option really suppose to do IF it actually did work???
Can't find anything about what this option is suppose to do.
2nd question: Does anyone with the R6300 router actually have it working??

Thanks guys, Mike.
Message 1 of 10
katie23
Guide

Re: Netgear Genie Questions

Mike great question. I just purchased this router and was wondering the same thing. I was tinkering around everything as I thought that the access control might allow me to do mac filtering, but like you said just spins around and does nothing.
Message 2 of 10
Ndxaustinz
Aspirant

I posted the same question a few weeks ago when I bought by router as well. Nobody answered my question. My guess is that option doesn't work on netgears flagship router.
Message 3 of 10
Mike9874
Aspirant

katie23 wrote:
Mike great question. I just purchased this router and was wondering the same thing. I was tinkering around everything as I thought that the access control might allow me to do mac filtering, but like you said just spins around and does nothing.

Well Katie, it does pop up the logon screen sometimes asking me for user/password for our router, but even after entering the user/password it just closes spins some more then exits....so does nothing at all. Seems nobody on here seems to talk about this feature or even cares if it works or not..... Still don't know what its suppose to do either. Oh well.....Mike.
Message 4 of 10

I don't bother with that desktop genie, its just more a pain than anything. Don't uninstall it but stop it from starting up in msconfig and set it to manual in services.
Use http://192.168.1.1/start.htm to enter the routers interface, it does the same thing without having random hassles the desktop genie produces.
Message 5 of 10
Mike9874
Aspirant

Alter wrote:
I don't bother with that desktop genie, its just more a pain than anything. Don't uninstall it but stop it from starting up in msconfig and set it to manual in services.
Use http://192.168.1.1/start.htm to enter the routers interface, it does the same thing without having random hassles the desktop genie produces.

Ok, I understand if you don't like or use it, that's cool. But the genie doesn't brother anything on my puter.....I don't understand what hassles it preforms?? besides having a feature that doesn't work, and also not even giving ANY information on what the feature is intended to do! But....ok I guess...
Message 6 of 10
Ndxaustinz
Aspirant

I have the genie app installer on my iPhone 5 and my computer. That feature doesn't work on either app.
Message 7 of 10
katie23
Guide

I like the genie desktop app. I think it functions pretty good.

Perhaps we will get another upgrade that will make the access control work, like mac filtering. 😄 I have high hopes.
Message 8 of 10
madhatter
Apprentice

I like the DirecTV genie ... now she's hot!
Message 9 of 10
Gavin_Hossack
Aspirant

Hey all,

I have a WNR2200 and this functions as well as can be expected, it's nothing special but it works.

I have the Genie app on my MacBook Pro and my iPad and would like to know how the remote login functionality works (which is apparently has) so that i can login into my network when i am not at home, which i needed to do last week when i had issues with my network (luckily i have a visitor network which was working well)

I would also like to know how to remove devices from my visitor network should i wish to, which i am informed is possible, but it doesn't explain to to do this in the manual.

Cheers all
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7