Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Genie crashes

rvwaal
Guide

Netgear Genie crashes

Hi,

Every time I launch backup, it genie timeline crashes.

Additionally, Readycloud cannot write to or download files to the external hard drive or 120gb flashdrive (NTFS formatted) plugged into the usb port. Files can be seen and new folders can be created.

I did try installing the old drivers per instructions provided in other discussioons, but nothing works.

Otherwise, the router works fine. I specifically purchased and paid extra money for a these features. I find the persistent problems with this software dating back several years problematic. Might be my last Netgear product.

router model: R6700v2

firmware: v1.1.0.38

win10, 32 bit

rca cambio tablet

Thanks, I appreciate any help.

Model: R6700v2|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 22

@rvwaal wrote:

Hi,

Every time I launch backup, it genie timeline crashes.

You refer to the genie. This could be one of several things, the browser interface, a Windows or Mac application, or an Android iThing app.

And what is "timeline crashes"?

Message 2 of 22
rvwaal
Guide

Hi,

When I open Netgear Readyshare Vault, then click on the Backup tab, I get the following message: 'Genie Timeline has stopped working'. At that point, the program closes. I've reinstalled the software several times and tried installing the older drivers. Nothing helped.

I'm running a Windows 10 tablet. No android or Mac software present.

I'd appreciate any troubleshooting tips.

Bob

Model: R6700v2|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 3 of 22
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @rvwaal,

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 4 of 22
Carlossr
Tutor

Exactly the same behavior. Win 7. Sw and fe updated.
Thanks
Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 5 of 22
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Carlossr,

1. Are you also referring to the ReadySHARE Vault software?

2. Have you tried re-installing the program?

3. Does the issue persist on another device?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 6 of 22
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Carlossr,

I would like to follow up and check if you are still experiencing the issue.

Regards,

Dexter
Community Team

Message 7 of 22
myryde77
Star

Hi Dexter,

Could you send me the same message?  I am having the same issue as rvwaal.  Updated the readyshare vault and installed the genie now when i hit backup in readyshare vault it gives the error attached.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times.  My previous version was working but not backing everything up it was supposed to so i updated and now this.

Thanks,

Doug

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 8 of 22
rvwaal
Guide

Hi all,

I'm still looking for a solution.  The latest software update helped some, but did not solve the issue.  Netgear has to stop marketing features that do not work.  An online search indicated that these software issues and workarounds have been around for years.  Next router will not be a Netgear.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 9 of 22

Your first message said: "it genie timeline crashes".

I have no idea what that means.

How are you opening "Netgear Readyshare Vault"?

Desktop (PC/Mac) Genie?

Desktop app?

Browser interface?

Message 10 of 22
myryde77
Star

Check my attachment.  It shows the error.  Using windows 10 PC to open vault. 

Message 11 of 22
rvwaal
Guide

Please

@michaelkenward wrote:

Your first message said: "it genie timeline crashes".

I have no idea what that means.

How are you opening "Netgear Readyshare Vault"?

Desktop (PC/Mac) Genie?

Desktop app?

Browser interface?

Please read the other posts where I answered all these questions.  And other user's posts. 

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 12 of 22
myryde77
Star

Hate to say it but i spent 3 hours last night searching no answers were found.  Would you be of help and guide us to these answers?  I also called support and they are worthless.  (restart, reinstall, try another computer, reset router, etc....)  Already did all this which is why i am calling support.  Not helpful.

Message 13 of 22
rvwaal
Guide

@myryde77 wrote:

Hate to say it but i spent 3 hours last night searching no answers were found.  Would you be of help and guide us to these answers?  I also called support and they are worthless.  (restart, reinstall, try another computer, reset router, etc....)  Already did all this which is why i am calling support.  Not helpful.

myrde77:  It looks as if we have near-identical experinces.  I also tried everything you listed without success.  With this chat board, I'm asked repeatedly about version of windows, etc, but no practical suggustions.  Bottom line, Netgear's marketing promised features, but their software is unstable.  I have given up, but this will be the last time Netgear gets my money.

Message 14 of 22
Carlossr
Tutor

Unfortunaty, the sw does not work. Several trials and nothing. It is a simple App, It is not suposed to be an expert to install. I Will use other sw.
Thanks
Message 15 of 22
rvwaal
Guide

@Carlossr wrote:
Unfortunaty, the sw does not work. Several trials and nothing. It is a simple App, It is not suposed to be an expert to install. I Will use other sw.
Thanks

Are there other software options?  Please advise.

Bob

Message 16 of 22
Carlossr
Tutor

Hi there are many options but I'm using
https://www.lifewire.com/aomei-backupper-standard-review-2617893

Do the job and is enough forma me.
Regards
Message 17 of 22
rjsargeant
Initiate

Like everyone else Netgear Genie crashes.  I spent some time going through the community files and these problems go back years.  Whilst there have been various fixes suggested, people continue reporting the same problems.   I would encourage Netgear and they do appear to read this forum to tell us how and when this problem will be fixed.   Netgear the floor is yours!

Regards

Message 18 of 22

@rjsargeant wrote:

Like everyone else Netgear Genie crashes.

Nope. Works here.

If you are referring to the desktop genie for Windows, Netgear has a habit of sneaking out new versions without telling us. It certainly does not provide an automated update process.

So from time to time I go and get the latest version:

genie Landing Page | Apps | Discover | Home | NETGEAR

Message 19 of 22
rjsargeant
Initiate

Sadly I am using the latest version and I have even tried past fixes which reverted to earlier drivers.  Looking through other posts on the community site, there are a lot of users who are and have been experiencing similar problems for a long time.

Regards

Message 20 of 22
sbrady4
Tutor

I have the same problem.

Windows 10, new router and software (GEnie & Ready Share Vault) downloaded & installed.

ReadyShare Vault crashes as soon as click on backup tab, so I can't change any settings. This happens on multiple computers on my network. 

It also never completes a backup that starts by pushing the smart backup button on the main tab. It seems to start backing up fine but aftrer a minute or two it says it was unsuccessful. 

I have two hard drives plugged into router.

Is the REadyShare Vault software intended to be used on more than one PC on a network?

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 21 of 22
GDell
Aspirant

I get a Backup Engine Failed message every two minutes on one of my PCs running Windows 10. Several other PCs on my network backup just fine. Under Services/Genie Timeline Services/Properties/Recovery/Subsequent failures I have set Restart the Service to keep the backup retrying. The messages in the event viewer seems to indicate a recurring Stack Overflow error -

Faulting application name: GenieTimelineService.exe, version: 7.0.1.100, time stamp: 0x5856675f
Faulting module name: GSWatcher4.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5856661e
Exception code: 0xc00000fd
Fault offset: 0x0000000000039f87
Faulting process id: 0x1c90
Faulting application start time: 0x01d3bc21cc5a166f
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\NETGEAR\ReadySHARE Vault\GenieTimelineService.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\NETGEAR\ReadySHARE Vault\GSWatcher4.dll
Report Id: c97fb232-2f26-4aac-9351-93c7de5fd6db
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Message 22 of 22
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 13 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7