Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Genie kills performance on my Windows 7 64 Bit desktop

fonman99
Onlooker

Netgear Genie kills performance on my Windows 7 64 Bit desktop

I would like to use Genie to provide Airprint access to a few printers on my network, but every PC I install it on quickly becomes very sluggish to the point where I have to uninstall the program to get back to normal. I have tried it on an Intel NUC, and 2 very beefy 6 and 4 core systems, and on each the systems slow to a crawl until I uninstall Genie.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Message 1 of 6
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Re: Netgear Genie kills performance on my Windows 7 64 Bit desktop

Can you please expand on "providing access to printers?" What kind of access? Are these USB, WiFi, or ethernet connected printers? I think that it's likely that what you need to do can be done without genie. However, I could be wrong, since I don't know what you're doing *smile*.
Message 2 of 6
Tjisret
Aspirant

Since this latest version of Netgear Genie I have had to uninstall and forget about it. I myself was getting a power state failure and causing a Blue Screen of Death on my WIndows PC when I tried to power down or put the PC to sleep. Drove me insane trying to figure it out but then I posted it in the Windows 8 Foums and posted my crash results on it and someone was able to help me. There is a Email address for Genie support netgeargenie@netgear.com and they might be able to help you. Now for Airprint have you searched the App Store? I seem to remember that there are Apps that can provide Airprint support to older printers that are not Airprint Compatible and that in my opinion might be a better way to go or get a new printer even the cheapest one today should have Airprint Support.
Message 3 of 6
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Yes, my 6-month old printer has Airprint support (for example). I'm not using it that, but if I needed to, it's there.
Message 4 of 6
VE6CGX
Master

Hi,
I never bother with Genie. My printer is compatible with airprint. If needed I'd use app. for airprint not with Genie.
Message 5 of 6
Tjisret
Aspirant

Since you have a printer that does support Airprint I most diffidently would use it. You can use it w/o your computer turned on and it does not take any computer resources but Genie does take resources (granted not much but it does) and here lately it really has been buggy.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7