Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Genie login username

Meo034
Aspirant

Netgear Genie login username

Hi

I recently purchased a Netgear Nighthack R7000 wireless modem and all seems to be working well except the Genie app on my IPad or IPhone. I changed the admin password from the default "password" to a more secure password and since then, I am unable to login using the Genie app. I checked to ensure I have the latest firmware installed on my wireless router (which I do) as well as the latest version of the Genie app. I also have the remote management enabled for the wireless router so that I can monitor the network remotly. However, having the Netgear Genie app would be so much better for my GF and I to manage the network and access to the internet within our household.

Can anyone help me with this issue?

PS: I can remotly connect using the Genie app instead of using the At Home login but as soon as I want to view any of the settings for the R7000 router, it is asking me to enter the admin password. Again, if the default password is set back to the original passwrod, I can access and view/manage my network. However, if I change the passwrod to something different from the default, I am no longer able to login.

Please advise

Message 1 of 15
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Meo034,

I will need the following information for me to provide you with a recommendation:

1. What version of iOS is the iPhone and iPad using?

2. What version of the NETGEAR Genie is installed on both devices?

3. What is the firmware version of the R7000?

4. Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing the app on both devices?

5. Does the issue happen on other devices (computers, Android devices)?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 15
Meo034
Aspirant

Hi Dexter

Below are the information requested.

1. What version of iOS is the iPhone and iPad using?

IPhone 6 - IOS 9.01

IPad 2nd Gen - IOS 8.4.1

2. What version of the NETGEAR Genie is installed on both devices?

IPhone - Netgear Genie 2.4.12

IPad - Netgear Genie 2.4.12

3. What is the firmware version of the R7000?

I have checked to ensure I have the latest installed and the firmware version V1.0.4.30_1.1.67 

I also reset the router multiple times as demanded by NETGEAR in a previous Ticket using their recommended process without any success

4. Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing the app on both devices?

I have tried to uninstall and reinstall the Genie app on both devices without any success. I have the exact same results where I can't login to the wireless router using the Netgear Genie app from my IPhone or IPad

5. Does the issue happen on other devices (computers, Android devices)?

The Netgear Genie installed on my laptop (using Windows 7 64-bit) has the same issue once I changed the password within the router to a more robust password other than the default 'passwrod".  Once this is done, I can't login from the Netgear Genie app from the laptop. The only way I am able to login into the wireless router is from the web browser using either the 192.168.1.1 or www.routerlogin.net or when the remote management is enabled, then the https:// IP address:8443 However, all Netgear Genie apps will not allow me to login

I do not have an Android device but looking at all the messages, it appears many others have the same issues using Android devices

Please advice on the next possible steps in order to rectify the issue

Regards

Message 3 of 15
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Meo034,

Thank you for providing the information. We will need to further isolate the issue since my tests using almost the same setup gave me a different result.

1. Please perform a firmware re-flash then reset and reconfigure the router. You may refer to the links below for the steps:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23960

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9665

2. May I know if you have tried another firmware version?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 4 of 15
Meo034
Aspirant

Hi,

Tried the reflash the firmware along with reset the settings without any success.

Perhaps there is a flaw wiith your Genie App for IPhone and IPad?

I must have reset and reflash the wireless router at least 10 times since everyone from the support department want you to do this!!

Very frustrating

Message 5 of 15
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Meo034,

You are correct, this is possibly an issue with the iOS app. Engineering is already aware of this issue and they are currently working on a fix but no ETA has been provided yet. Please make sure that you keep the app up to date in the event that they push out the fix. We apologize for the inconvenience on your part. Rest assured we are working on improving and fixing these issues based on customer feedback.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 6 of 15
Mfcloer
Aspirant

I have used the app for months without problems.....until the last app upgrade.
Message 7 of 15
Meo034
Aspirant

Thanks Dexter, looking forward to be able to manage the network from my IOS devices

The latest release (2.4.18) did not fix the issue either and it appears many others now have similar problems. I am hoping the engineers are considering the lenght for the password to be at least 12-16 characters with case sensitive letters as well as allowing numbers so the strenght and security of the network can be kept high!!

Message 8 of 15
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Meo034,

This has been noted. We do prioritize security and this is something that is being looked at. We appreciated your input and we'll continue working on it.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 9 of 15
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Mfcloer,

May I know what is the issue?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 10 of 15
Mfcloer
Aspirant

Genie app will not let me log in with my password or default password. This happened at some point after the last update.
Message 11 of 15
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

H @Mfcloer,

This situation has already been reported and is currently being looked at. Please make sure that you keep the NETGEAR Genie app up to date for a possible fix.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 12 of 15
ScodezDC
Aspirant

I am having the same problem - unable to log in to the Genie app on iOS after changing the 'admin' password; however the app DOES login successfully if I go back to the default 'password' (which isn't a secure option).  iOS 8.4.1 on an iPhone 6; Netgear Genie app 2.4.18; Router Nighthawk R7000; Firmware V1.0.4.30.

Scott

Message 13 of 15
Mfcloer
Aspirant

I found that the latest upgrade requires a minimum 8 characters. I went into router web and reset password to the 8 character minimum and now all back to normal.
Message 14 of 15
jahSJ
Aspirant

So there is a minimum password length required on the router in order to use the Genie ipad app?  I thought my issue might be something like that as the login link was greyed out.  Will that be changed to support whatever password the router supports?  Thanks, Jeff

Message 15 of 15
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7