Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Nighthawk App keeps saying Logon timed out

spollard101
Tutor

Netgear Nighthawk App keeps saying Logon timed out

Hello!

I hope someone is able to help me out - because this is so unbelieveably frustrating. 

For starters - using:

Netgear Modem CM500

Netgear Nightawk AC1750 Route R6700v3

ISP: Comcast - 600 mbps (no clue if this matters)

Firmware Version
V1.0.4.122_10.0.95

I have been able to use the Netgear Nighthawk app without issue for the past 3 years. However, over the past few days all of a sudden, I was required to log back in to my admin account, and everytime I try - it states "Logon timed out, please try again. If this issue persists, try rebooting your device."

SO - I rebooted my modem and router, nothing. Tried uninstalling the app and re-installing. Nothing. Even rebooted the router and modem again after reinstalling the app. Nothing. Same issues persists

Futher - I am able to log into my modem via routerlogin.net with no issue - made sure passwords were right and all that.

Can someone please help? I really would love to use the app - not sure what just happened 

Sean

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 28
plemans
Guru

Yours isn't the first that I've seen this happen to lately. 

A couple people have downgraded firmware to see if it'd help. 

For some it did, others it didn't. 

Most have just elected to keep using the browser to log in until an app update or firmware update fixes is. 

Message 2 of 28
spollard101
Tutor

Hey there!

Thank you so much for the response @plemans 

For a newb like myself - how would I go about downgrading the firmware? and further would this impact service?

Message 3 of 28
plemans
Guru

You download it from the support site (downloads--->view previous versions)

Then simply follow the manual update process but use the older firmware instead of the newer version. 

https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router

Message 4 of 28

A new version of the Nighthawk app has just landed.

Maybe it fixes whatever was broken.

Message 5 of 28
jgottbrath
Tutor

I am started getting this error message couple weeks ago. Have let go hoping fix self. updated router firmware. rebooted multiple times. deleted and reinstalled app and still have error.

Did yours ever fix? may just keep using laptop. app is worthless at this point.

Message 6 of 28
logontimedout
Initiate

Current version of app (1.19.0.2392) does not fix the "logon timed out" issue. Nighthawk app is useless now.

Android 12 on Pixel 6pro.

Message 7 of 28
Vaylgar
Aspirant

I have been getting this the last couple weeks now on my old firmware , I upgraded my firmware to see if it resolved this and it did not , I'm also now having a serious issue where my router is also throttling my connection speed to my isp I can test on thier router my nighthawk is rj45 into and their speed to me is approx 92 mbs if I go through my nighthawk all of a sudden I'm only able to get 6 mega per sec bandwidth and my QoS is not enabled. I dont understand what could have changed on it's own! I am rusty but I'm a microsoft certified systems engineer and been a network administrator for 5 years and been doing my own networks longer. This is a serious problem for me!!
Message 8 of 28

@Vaylgar wrote:
I have been getting this the last couple weeks now on my old firmware , I upgraded my firmware to see if it resolved this and it did not ,

It seems to be related to the app rather than anything else.

@Vaylgar wrote:
I'm also now having a serious issue where my router is also throttling my connection speed to my isp

Hard to see how these two things can be related.

You might want to start a fresh conversation to try to get to the bottom of that one.

Message 9 of 28
jgottbrath
Tutor

Well fact no one from Netgear has even bothered to respond and all updates since my original message did not fix issue. I suspect Netgear does not care... probably will not buy Netgear again. Anyone have a good suggestion for other routers?

Message 10 of 28

@jgottbrath wrote:

Well fact no one from Netgear has even bothered to respond and all updates since my original message did not fix issue.

Did you read the reply to you? That explained that the problem has nothing to do with your firmware. It is a problem with the Nighthawk app. That is why it has hit different routers.

@jgottbrath wrote:

I suspect Netgear does not care... probably will not buy Netgear again. Anyone have a good suggestion for other routers?

You read just one of the many discussions on this issue. And an old one at that.

It is a pity that you aren't getting personal attention among all the other messages. But you joined in on an old discussion started six months ago by @spollard101  rather than starting one of your own. That is a better way to get personal attention.

From more recent discussions, its seems that Netgear does care and has a fix in the works. Just how long the fix will last, is anybody's guess. After all, it isn't the first time it has happened.

Message 11 of 28
jgottbrath
Tutor

Yes, I read the issue is app only. Point is that if Netgear is not going support the app or appearing to act interested in fixing when known issue why would I want to continue to use their product. I can log directly into it, but it is an old nighthawk. It is getting time to replace, so debating which brand to switch if Netgear is not interested in fixing issues customers are having.

Your probably right I should create my own. Not sure if I want to exert that much effort at this point.

Message 12 of 28

@jgottbrath wrote:

Point is that if Netgear is not going support the app or appearing to act interested in fixing when known issue why would I want to continue to use their product.

Up to you, but the first bit is incorrect.

Netgear is "appearing to act interested" albeit a bit too slowly for most people.

Message 13 of 28
Starrel
Aspirant

I am having the same exact issue. I even tried a factory reset on my router. Deleted the app and reinstalled. Everything. Yet when i go back through my set up, it just keeps giving the error when it gets back to the admin login page. Idk what to do other than buy a new router.
Message 14 of 28

@Starrel wrote:
Idk what to do other than buy a new router.

That won't help. The problem is not the router. It is the app on your phone. Another Netgear router would do the same thing.

Until Netgear fixes this, the best option would be to forget about using the app to manage your router. Use the browser graphical user interface (GUI) instead. This is best done on a PC with a wired connection but wifi will also work.

How do I log in to my NETGEAR wireless router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 15 of 28
Starrel
Aspirant

Okay, but I tried doing it on my laptop. It keeps telling me to download and use the app. Sorry, im awful with this stuff. Like i said, i factory reset it. So i dont know if it messed something up. Im trying to set it up again but it wont let me.
Message 16 of 28

@Starrel wrote:
Im trying to set it up again but it wont let me.

"Won't let me" doesn't tell us where you have problems. What are you doing and where does it go wrong?

You can set up a router without using the mobile app.

Manuals are always a good place to start.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Look for the model number on the label on the device.

Begin with the Quick Start/Installation Guide.

If that doesn't help. check the manual.

Message 17 of 28
Starrel
Aspirant

The mobile app will not work. It takes me to the admin login page and when i enter my password, it immediately says "login timed out please try again." After the factory reset, it wont let me continue past that page. I dont know what else i can do seeing that i cant connect to the router with my laptop. I totally lost here.
Message 18 of 28

@Starrel wrote:
The mobile app will not work. It takes me to the admin login page and when i enter my password, it immediately says "login timed out please try again."

As the conversation that you have wickedly hijacked show – naught person – this is a widespread issue that is down to a broken app on a mobile devices.

Nighthawk App Logon Timeout - NETGEAR Communities

That's just one of dozens of conversations on the same topic.

The good news is that you do not need any app to set up a router. Indeed, the app is possibly the worst way of going about it, despite Netgear's exhortations.

I already provided one link that should have offered some clues.

Here is another one:

How do I set up and install my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 19 of 28
XxDubzNationXx
Aspirant

Any updates of when this issue will be fixed?
Message 20 of 28
Sczzi
Aspirant

Netgear I just bought a brand new router been literally putting my hair out trying to get the router set up for 3 days. every night after work I can't log out of my account. when I try to log on it says "login time out please try again " been trying for 3. days this is unbelievable I am unbelievably mad at this thing most frustrating in ever had with the internet. now I'm stuck with this garbage router setup I have no receipt to return this $179.00 router. AC2600 router model number is r7450 and now out of frustration, it is in pieces what a total nightmare the whole thing was. I can't turn off an unknown device connected to my wifi 

Message 21 of 28

@Sczzi wrote:

Netgear I just bought a brand new router been literally putting my hair out trying to get the router set up for 3 days. every night after work I can't log out of my account. when I try to log on it says "login time out please try again " ...

That is because you are trying to set up the router using a mobile app. Netgear tries to force everyone to do that but it it is not necessary.

How do I install my NETGEAR router using the router web interface? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

That has been the recommended method for most of the life of Netgear's routers.

For many people it remains the best way to set up a router.

Message 22 of 28
Rayjensen
Aspirant

I have the same problem with login timeout on the app, but I alsoe have the problem when I try to login with My homeassistant system. It startet at the same time...
My firmvare is: V1.0.11.136_10.2.120
I tryed a factory reset, and after that it worked for 2 days, and now I am back again, not able to login..
Could it be a memory problem??
Message 23 of 28

@Rayjensen wrote:
I have the same problem with login timeout on the app, ....

Possibly, but this discussion is so old that it is impossible to know which bits are relevant your problems.

You have joined in on an existing conversation that may or may not have anything to do with your problems.

There is also a good chance that the official support team is busily monitoring new conversations and may miss your addition to this one.

If you do want help with your problem, check previous stuff that may be related then start your own discussion.

Message 24 of 28
nickyd62
Aspirant

The frustrating part is it's not only on the iPhone version of the Nighthawk app. I recently (up until early November) has a Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra and always kept my apps updated. The "Logon timed out.." issue started a long time ago on the Android app I had downloaded from the Google Play store. I have now switched to an iPhone 14 Pro Max and (mistakenly) assumed that it was an issue with the Android version of the Nighthawk app... sadly that's not the case. I'm getting the same Logon timed out message on the iPhone app I just downloaded (v2.21.1.354). My router is the R6400v2 with newly downloaded Firmware Version V1.0.4.128_10.0.104. I've done all the restarts, password updates, software downloads, etc., but nothing works.

I appreciate the community members who remind us that we can log into router using a browser (which I can), but the point is both the Android and iPhone apps are broken - for a long time now - and Netgear doesn't care enough to fix it. That's enough to make me consider another brand since I'm due for a modem and router upgrade.

Message 25 of 28
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 14 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7