Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Nighthawk app now requires registered account to use?

jeffr1992
Follower

Netgear Nighthawk app now requires registered account to use?

I'm trying to better understand the bandwidth usage of various devices on my network. The Netgear Nighthawk app on the Google Play Store used to allow me to do this easily. However, this seems to have changed recently, where I'm now forced to register an account before I can use the app. Since I have no interested in making an account with Netgear, am I out of luck, or is there another way I can see how much bandwidth each device on my network is using? Thanks very much.

Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Netgear Nighthawk app now requires registered account to use?

None of netgears consumer routers have allowed individual device data tracking. Its been one of the most requested features on the idea exchange. So I'm not sure where you think it was or what it was tracking

Message 2 of 3

Re: Netgear Nighthawk app now requires registered account to use?

@jeffr1992 wrote:

However, this seems to have changed recently, where I'm now forced to register an account before I can use the app.

@plemans has already explained that Netgear has never supported tracking per device, so I will stick to dealing with the above.

There are various things that you could interpret as "register". What is asking you to do this?

You do not have to "register an account" before you use the Nighthawk app.

You do have to create a way for the app to connect to your router.

If you want to use Anywhere Access, you do have to sign up for an account that lets you get at the router through Netgear's cloud connector. Maybe that is what you interpret as "register".

But access to your router by the local wifi just needs you to fill in the email access details.

Maybe a more detailed description of what is happening at your end would clarify what you see.

But, as @plemans says, with or without registration, you aren't likely to get what you want.

Since I have no interested in making an account with Netgear, am I out of luck...

We don't know what you mean by "an account" but be warned that the increasing use of cloud services to link things means that you will; fund yourself shut out of some stuff regardless of whose kit you use.

Many cloud things are happy to use something like a GMail account as an intermediary.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7