Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear R6300v2 Desktop Genie User/Password not working for Parental Controls

CommoTCB
Initiate

Netgear R6300v2 Desktop Genie User/Password not working for Parental Controls

I have a Netgear R6300v2 provided by Charter.

Charter will not Support the Router beyond providing the function of WIFI.

I can Login using routerlogin.net but it has No Parental Controls based on the current Firmware of V1.0.3.6_1.0.63CH.

Advanced Tab - Security - Block Sites mentions www.netgear.com/lpc for the Desktop Genie

Desktop Genie has Parental Controls, clicking on Parental Controls it requires login credentials, but when using the User/Password for the Router which is Valid per routerlogin.net I get Login Failure.

Checking the list of Routers from Netgear http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24686 my Model (R6300v2) and all versions are Supported for Desktop Genie.

Charter will only provide Parental Controls for PCs via a Software Program.

CHARTER get with the Program! We now have SmartPhones and Tablets that need Parental Controls!

I need help ensuring that I can provide Parental Controls at the Router level so that all WiFi devices are included for my family.

Netgear...Please help me?

John

Message 1 of 3
TheEther
Guru

Re: Netgear R6300v2 Desktop Genie User/Password not working for Parental Controls

That 'CH' at the end of the firmware version suggests that the firmware is customized for Charter.  If true, then your beef is with Charter.  I don't see how Netgear can help you.

I hope you know that if your kids have smartphones then router based parental controls won't do anything for cellular data.  It won't take long for kids to figure out that turning off Wi-Fi will bypass parental controls.  You would also need parental controls provided by your cellular provider to have complete coverage.

Message 2 of 3
CommoTCB
Initiate

Thanks "TheEther"

I have Cellular Content Filters with Verizon Wireless through thier "Family Safeguards and Controls".

As you mentioned it, it doesn't take kids long to figure out a Gap in the Network which just happens to be the WiFi.

As much as they use Data the WiFi is the most economical vs Wireless Data.

Charter is basically washing thier hands of this situation as they are stating they only Support the Router for WiFi only and anything beyond is on NetGear even thought they supplied the Router and are charging me monthly for renting it.

But if they truly have a Custom built Firmware then they are a party to my issue after all as that Firmware probably has the Netgear Genie access being Blocked.

Thanks,

CommoTCB

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7