Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear USB Control Center and Mac OS Oasis 10.14

ricbret
Guide

Netgear USB Control Center and Mac OS Mojave 10.14

Configuration: 

Internet connection through Netgear Nighthawk r7000 A1900 Smart Wifi Router 

USB connection from Brother HL-l2300D (no built-in networking) to Netgear AC1200 High Power 700mW Dual Band Wi-Fi Range Extender - Desktop with 5 Ports (EX6200)

Basically this configuration has been working for several months, using the Netgear USB Control Center software to establish a direct-via-ethernet connection from my iMac to the printer. 

I did not upgrade from Sierra (Mac OS 10.11) to High Sierra (Mac OS 10.13) because it was mostly for people with iPhones. But Oasis (Mac OS 10.14) had a number of good features so I upgraded this week. Upgrade went without a hitch, but when run the Netgear USB Control Center displays a dialog saying "Installation is incomplete! Please reinstall again. <OK>"
Reinstalling has had no effect on this.  It continues to dispaly that message. 

I'm, using installer version 2.40, downloaded from 
https://kb.netgear.com/000053245/ReadySHARE-Printer-Utility-Version-2-40-Mac-Supports-MAC-OS-10-13-a...

Please advise.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 43
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @ricbret,

Welcome to the community!

Please make sure you allow the installation of apps downloaded from the app store and identified developers.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 43
ricbret
Guide

Yes, the "Allow apps downloaded from" option has "App Store and identified developers" selected.  That is not the problem.  See many other similar reports, although those are against High Siera, not Oasis.

Message 3 of 43
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @ricbret,

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,

Dexter
Community Team

Message 4 of 43
DavidChen
Aspirant

Hi Community Team,

My app has the same problem, R6400, Mac OS X 10.14, USB control center just doesn't work. I'd like to ask is there an update version of the app can be used?

Thanks.

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 5 of 43
ricbret
Guide

Yes, it's pretty obvious what's happened, all this level 1 support can be pretty tedious. It just needs to be QA'd to easily confirm there's a bug in this configuration (latest released USB Control Center build and Mac OSX 10.13 or 10.14.

The bug should be on the developer's plate by this point, but I have my doubts.

-Ric 

Message 6 of 43
Jminterweb
Aspirant

Macbook Pro late 2012 Mojave 10.14.1 and the controller keeps displaying the same installation is incomplete error. Yes, I allowed downloads from this developer. 

Message 7 of 43
schumaku
Guru

@ChristineT @Christian_R another long term problem - and nobody seems to care. Needless to say that software packets need to be signed according to the OS requirements so no security exceptions need to be set in place, too.

Message 8 of 43
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi all,

Issue has already been reported to engineering. We will provide an update once available.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 9 of 43
ricbret
Guide

Thanks Dexter from the Community Team.

Glad to hear this was finally escalated to the engineers.

Is there any expected ETA for a fix?

Also, should a fix become available, how will that be communicated to us?

-Ric

Message 10 of 43
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

No ETA yet. We will provide an update on this thread and other similar threads should a new downloadable version with the fix will be available.

Dexter

Community Team

Message 11 of 43
Zoomly
Initiate

Is there any solve/update to this for the new year? Customers are left without access to their printers due to Netgear software not being updated to meet new OSX Mojave updates. 

Please advise.

Message 12 of 43
JeffStent
Tutor

This issue has been on the list for months. When can we expect a resolution?

Also, when I download and install the print share software it fails repeatedly showing ' Installation incomplete'. I am not alone with that issue as well. C'mon guys - any progress to report?

Message 13 of 43
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi all,

This has been reported to engineering and is currently being debugged.

Dexter

Community Team

Message 14 of 43
JeffStent
Tutor

Here is a great work-around for network printing until Netgear figures it out. Search internet for a 'shareware' program called HandyPrint. Works simply smooth with my Netgear R6400 router, Mac iOS 10.14 and Canon D530 printer.

Message 15 of 43
ricbret
Guide

So Jeff, will this will work with dumb printers that only have a USB interface that is plugged into a Netgear extender?  Do you recommend the 5.0 version, or is the 3.15 version suitable for determining it's performance?

Message 16 of 43
JeffStent
Tutor

My printer is a dumb printer. I simply plug the USB printer cable into the rear, 2.0 USB port. I believe my Handy Print software is the most recent for iOS. That is version 5.2. Works like a charm. Just be prepared for a bit of delay before the printer starts. I use this for both my iPhone, and my wife’s iPhone. We each also print from iPads

I hope that helps!

Message 17 of 43
ricbret
Guide

While I'm happy this works in your situation, after playing with this for an hour I'm pretty sure it's not addressing the point of this issue.  Let me explain.

I have an HP Laser Printer in another room.  It's not attached to my Macintosh.  The USB cable on the printer is plugged into the USB ports on a Netgear AC1200 High Power 700mW Dual Band Wi-Fi Range Extender.  Previously, the Netgear USB Control Center software allowed me to attach to that remote printer over my home network to print directly.  

I believe the HandyPrint is mostly made to allow a printer attached to a Macintosh to be shared out to other computers and mobile devices.  It doesn't appear to talk directly to the Extender to access its USB connected printer.  I suspect it wouldn't work if the printer was similarly attached to the WiFi router (in my case a Netgear Nighthawk X4).

Thanks,

-Ric

Message 18 of 43
JeffStent
Tutor

So sorry, Ric - 

I have no experience with any extender. My printer is plugged directly into the router USB port. Works fine for multiple iOS devices.

Perhaps someone else can offer guidance for the extender.

Jeff

Message 19 of 43
ricbret
Guide

Thanks Jeff. My config still works fine with the PC in my den as well (right next to my Mac and running the PC version of the Netgear Control Center Software) so I'm absolutely sure this is a problem that will be solved by a new version of the Mac version of the Netgear Control Center Software that is compatible with the latest builds of OSX.  I know they're working on it, but it's obviously not a priority for whomever it is assigned to.  

Message 20 of 43
sporte823
Aspirant

Glad to find this thread! I recently switched to a Netgear Router so I didn't have to pay to rent Xfinity's. Since the switch I have been unable to connect to my WiFi Brother printer. I used to be able to print from both my cell phone and laptop.  I have played with this for hours thinking I was doing something wrong but it appears its an issue with the router after all. Ridiculous this thread has been open for months with no solution. I tried downloading the USB Control Center and get the same error on my macbook 10.14.  Hoping to see an update posted on this thread soon.

Model: C6250|AC1600 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 21 of 43

@sporte823 wrote:

Since the switch I have been unable to connect to my WiFi Brother printer.

There is a steady stream of messages on this topic. Although I am not sure why the USB control centre comes into play with a wifi printer. Unless Macs do something freaky, Wifi connectivity goes nowhere near the USB

One of the common themes, apart from the fact that printer makers are hopeless at managing wifi connectivity, is that it hits people who have replaced their router with something else. They then expect the printer to work with no intervention on their part. That won't work. The printer needs to be told to forget the old router's wifi connection and set up again from scratch.

The usual way to fix wifi printers is to find the printer maker's utility, the software that runs on your operating system. Then use that to connect the printer to the wifi.

The router just broadcasts wifi. It is then down to the printer to play ball. There isn't much that you can do on a router, beyond fixing it to a particular IP address, that affects what the printer gets up to.

Where possible, using the WPS feature can simplify things.

Message 22 of 43
JeffStent
Tutor

Sporte823, you missed the point completely.

We would welcome your SUPERUSER SENSEI assistance. The issue relates to printers connected to router via USB cable. That is why USB matters.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 23 of 43
schumaku
Guru

@JeffStent wrote:

The issue relates to printers connected to router via USB cable. That is why USB matters.

Understood. However, people talk of a WiFi printer - what is confusing at least - making it hard to provide appropriate assistance. Be aware you talk to community members, not to Netgear here. Most of us have very few hardware models at hand only, and specific issues with hardware sold to specific markets only - and even worse with firmware probably under control of the ISP in the case of these Cnnnn modem/routers coming into this trhead recently, too.

Message 24 of 43
ricbret
Guide

Yes, to clarify and restate the original problem (I'm the OP):

I had been using the USB Control Center software to allow computers on my network to print to the Brother HL-l2300D which has no built-in networking, wifi or ethernet. 

The software had been working fine, but something in a recent Apple OSX update caused it to start failing, reporting that the software needed to be re-installed.

Not only did the installed software fail, but the software installer was no longer functioning properly, failing to install the USB Control Center.

Outside of this thread, I'd been contacted by Netgear support, who offered me a "beta" (really not even Alpha - I'm a 30 year software development veteran here) that reportedly fixed the situation.  It did not. In fact the new installer played havoc with my computer's start-up process and I had to go to drastic lengths to restore my system.  I reported this to them, suggesting that their in-house QA create a current OSX system to do sanity testing on before offering it to customers.

That was back in early January.  I've heard nothing from them since.  Luckily I have a PC right next to my Mac and can typically use that to print (the Windows USB Control Center is still working just fine in my environment.)

So please, don't confuse the point of this thread without reading the whole of the thread. It's not a firmware issue.  I has nothing to do with network capable (ethernet or wifi) printers. It has everything to do with Netgear not keeping their software up to date against current OSX updates.
-Ric

Message 25 of 43
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 42 replies
  • 12 kudos
  • 15 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7