Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear USB Control Center and Mac OS Mojave 10.14

schumaku
Guru

Re: Netgear USB Control Center and Mac OS Oasis 10.14

Ric,

Welcome to the club - I had to restore a Mac for the very same cause, too. Wasn't difficult, probably it could be fixed otherwise, bit the SSD of that system was not heavily filled, to the TimeMachine did a brilliant job (as usual). QA does apparently not exist with Netgear these days.

-Kurt

Message 26 of 43

Re: Netgear USB Control Center and Mac OS Oasis 10.14

@JeffStent wrote:

Sporte823, you missed the point completely.

That's what happens when someone joins in on an old discussion and throws in an issue that has nothing to do with the original problem.

I was just trying to solve the wifi bit in the message from @sporte823.

Message 27 of 43
jimsiler21
Aspirant

Dear Netgear

I am running into this problem, a problem that is easily reproducible, major, and was first reported almost five months ago.  Seriously?  

Environment:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)

macOS Mojave 10.14.3

Message 28 of 43
ricbret
Guide

Yup. Welcome to the "Netgear Community." 

Message 29 of 43
schumaku
Guru

Understand Netgear is phasing out this feature - at least it's absence of the ReadyShare USB Print feature from the bleeding edge RAX80 (AX8) and RAX120 (AX12) does confirm this impression. Is this another dead end @ChristineT  @Christian_R ? Fixing this should take days, not more than half a year. If this is the"new Netgear" than good night.

Message 30 of 43
ricbret
Guide

That would be disappointing and a very good reason to go with a different manufacturer. Developers need to budget for system-change-related updates to their utilites, otherwise they're just planning for the product to become obsolete.  Rewarding such planning by buying another product from them is the worst message we can send as consumers. 

And yes, as someone with decades of software development under his belt, I can confirm that a reasonably skilled OSX developer should be able to do such an update in days, not months. 

Message 31 of 43
jimsiler21
Aspirant

Just got off the phone with Netgear "support".  Suffice it to say I will not be buying any more Netgear products.  As to the software, send me and NDA and, after I execute it, the source.  I'd rather do that than ever repeat the experience I just had.  Beyond the general and truly grotesque incompetence (it took my 10 minutes on the phone with a supervisor to convince him to find out what the problem was or even let me tell him) there was the "it's out of warranty" spiel.

I don't know what's going on in Netgear land but it's clearly not good.
I've finally decided to run everything in via pfSense and just use ORBI as an AP.  At least then I can control what needs to be controlled and fix things if they break.  I don't envy anyone without deep technical know how who face a Netgear problem.

Message 32 of 43
schumaku
Guru

The list of g. i. (love that wording) can be exceeded to many other - mostly consumer - products. Plenty of issues carried forward to the latest AX routers - without the slightest enhancements to complete product series. @Christian_R  (can no longer find @ChristineT why ever, probably a SaaS issue). And qualified criticism is honoured by ignorance on all channels - wonder how we're supposed to help the loyal customer.

Message 33 of 43
jimsiler21
Aspirant

To make things ever so much nore fun, there isnoobvious way to remove the software from my macbook or even stop it from autostarting.  And as far as warranty Netgear has claimed that it is not bound by Maine state law regarding implied warranties.
===== a reply from netgear =====

You can refer to this articles that the Netgear Devices Has Only 1 Year of Hardware warranty and 90 of technical support from the date of purcase. and for our newly implemented that the orbi devices comes with 1 year off technical support from the date of purchase. however your devices is already beyond that entitlements/warranty.

and this warraty is implemented to the hole North America in all states.

===== end of netgear reply =====

I also don't appreciate them refering to North America as a "hole" 😉

Much easier than fighting with them is to find and contact reputable reviewers such as wirecutter.com that have given high marks (in this case highest rating) and let them know what level of support their readers can expect when facing problems.

Message 34 of 43
vc_stargazer
Guide

seriously, still no update?

Message 35 of 43
schumaku
Guru

@ChristineT  @Christian_R  The macOS 10.14 developer and beta releases are available for almost 18 months now - can't be that Netgear is leaving the customers back behind that long - complete disappointing. Even for consumer software, releases must be ready on major upgrades (being macOS, Windows, ...).

Message 36 of 43
nivenor1
Initiate

same issue, NetGear USB control center will not install, heading to Amazon to change my product review. Netger response to the thread very disappointing...

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 37 of 43
akanelson
Initiate

I have the exact same issue.

MacOS Mojave 10.14, USB Control Center V2.40, App Store and identified developers option selected on Allow apps downloaded from and I always get the Installation is incomplete! Please reinstall again message.

Would you please provide a fix/solution for this issue?

Thanks

Message 38 of 43
MickMoo
Aspirant

Has this STILL not been addressed or resolved? I just installed Mojave on my MacBook Pro.

I get the message: Netgear USB Control Center Installation is incomplete! Please reinstall again.

I had to do a force quit after the message popped up because it stopped responding.  

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 39 of 43
DocBee1
Aspirant

Just getting in the que in the event this issue is ever resolved and a notification is sent out, I mean it's only been occuring for about a year! MacBook Air, OS Mojave, 10.14.6.

Message 40 of 43
schumaku
Guru

macOS Catalina is out in the wild now, too....

Message 41 of 43
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi all, a new version is available for download on the link below.

https://kb.netgear.com/000061563/ReadySHARE-Printer-Utility-Version-3-1-Mac-Supports-MAC-OS-10-13-an...

Dexter

Message 42 of 43
ricbret
Guide

Got direct mail that this had been fixed and the fix was publicly available. 

An hour after I started attempting to get it to work, I'm convinced this is as broken as the previous release.  

On install the app is noted as unsigned and the developer is not registered in the installer or application.  macOS Catalina is more stringent about this, but I used all the standard bypasses (comand-click the icon and choose Open from the pop-up menu to bypass security issues, etc.

Finally getting it installed I'm greeted with the same damn Installation is incomplete message from before.  The app launches, but is totally unresponsive.  I'll include images of the relevant messages.

Oh, also, successive attempts at installing added multiple login items for my user profile. Image included (after I deleted four or so of them from successive attempts at installing).

Of course this system is so lame I'm limited to one image upload, so I'll have to put them all into a single image.

I'm glad I've already given up on this app and am planning on replacing my Netgear equipement later this year.  Shame, I used to be so proud of my router choice, now I'm pretty much done with this company.

Message 43 of 43
Discussion stats
  • 42 replies
  • 12 kudos
  • 15 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7