Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear and Charter

aschwinn
Aspirant

Netgear and Charter

After reading some posts it sounds like netgear and charter cannot work together?? I hope that's not ture. However, I just had a Charter rep to the house and he said that the Netgear will not work because of an issue on Netgear's end. We have been without wireless for a few days now. Any help would be great.

It worked in Jan. and did so until just a few days ago. What's the issue??

Thanks,
John Adam
Message 1 of 7
Mighty_Putty
Apprentice

I have both a Netgear modem (CM600) and router (X10) with Charter hi-speed internet service, and have no issues with the Netgear equipment.  

Here is a list of Charter's supported modems: 

http://www.spectrum.net/support/internet/compliant-modems-charter-network/

The only thing I can think of -without questioning the tech's conclusion- is that yours is not on the supported list of cable modems.

You might want to explain in greater detail what the issue is, your cable modem and router models, and what the tech did resolve this before coming to his conclusion.  Also, you can now get a free cable modem from Charter as long as you have their hi-speed internet service. The expertise of Charter's subcontractors vary wildly, BTW, so just be aware of that. If your cable modem and router aren't out of scope and functioning normally, call Charter back and have someone else come back out and check the outside connections, coax cables and whatever else falls under their purview.

Also, as part of your troubleshooting process to eliminate your router as the issue, just connect your computer or laptop with an Ethernet cable directly to your cable modem, thereby bypassing your router. If you're connecting to the internet at that point, you have some troubleshooting to do on the router.

Message 2 of 7
aschwinn
Aspirant

I have the AC1750 which is not listed so you recommend replacing it with a CM500 or 600?
Message 3 of 7
Mighty_Putty
Apprentice

The AC1750 is your router. That list was referring to the cable modem.

Do you have a laptop or computer that connects to that AC1750 via an Ethernet cable?  The fastest way would be take that cable, unplug it from the back of the AC1750, and plug it directly into your cable modem's Ethernet port, first removing the existing Ethernet cable that's already in the cable modem.  That way you take the AC1750 out ot the picture.  Now, if you have internet connectivity after doing this, you may have an issue with the AC1750.  If you still do not have internet connectivity, you're now looking at either the cable modem or Charter's network.

What is your cable modem model?  

Message 4 of 7
aschwinn
Aspirant

I have internet when I remove the AC1750. And the cable modem model is Arris.
Message 5 of 7

AC1750 is not a model of router or modem. It is a wif standard.

It could be a C6300, R6400 or R6700. Maybe even something else.

Message 6 of 7
Mighty_Putty
Apprentice

If you restore your Ethernet connections to their original state, now including your Netgear router back into your connectivity setup, do you still internet connectivity through your wired device?  BTW, the other poster's right.  I was thinking you had an R6400 or thereabouts.  Am I correct presuming that and not a modem/router combo?

With this exercise, I wanted to make sure you were getting internet connectivity into your home directly from the cable modem (eliminating a couple of potential suspects). Now with the router back in the equation, do you still have wired connectivity, but no wireless connectivity? If so, would you be able to identify if it's devices connected to the 2.4 GHz Wifi, 5 GHz wifi or both that are not able to connect? 

This would be a good place to walk you through some troubleshooting:

https://kb.netgear.com/1110/Troubleshooting-wireless-networks   

Also, are you still within your support/replacement period for your router if it turns out that it's not working properly? 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7