Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear genie automatic content scan feature causes DLNA/ media server to disconnect. MUST READ!!!!!

Sarahvich84
Follower

Netgear genie automatic content scan feature causes DLNA/ media server to disconnect. MUST READ!!!!!

Hello all,

I am a long time netgear fan and i am here to voice my frustration in regards to the DLNA/ media server issue that plagues all of netgears modem's and router's with genie firmware.

The second modem router that i purchased from the netgear range was the DGND3700v1 which in my opinion was and still is the best you can get when it comes to DLNA/ media streaming stability and reliability. It comes with the old smart wizard firmare which was and still is way better than the genie firmware which has replaced the smart wizard firmware. The smart wizard gave you the option to change the automatic scan for files to manual where you could set the scan period to for example 60000 minutes which would stop the media server from automatically searching for newly added files which results in the media server disconnecting randomly while you are trying to watch a movie.

View screenshot at the following website:

https://www.google.com.au/search?biw=1366&bih=627&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=NETGEAR+dgnd3700+media+server&oq=N...

After a few years i decided to upgrade to the D6300 thinking it would be a million times better but i was sadly wrong! This modem/ router has the genie firmware in which the manual content scan feature has been completely removed so you are only left with the automatic content scan feature which is the cause of the frequent, random and extremely irritating DLNA/ media server disconnections/ drop outs that everybody that owns a netgear with genie firmware is experiencing.

I have contacted netgear numerous times over the last few years in regards to this and explained what needs to be done but all they have to say is that i will have to wait for another firmware update to be released which contains the manual content scan feature which i don't think they are planning on doing.. ever!!!  I have been waiting years!!!!

Netgear needs to realise that removing the manual content scan feature has severely crippled their DNLA/ media server usability and they need to fix it by re-adding this feature.

Message 1 of 2
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Netgear genie automatic content scan feature causes DLNA/ media server to disconnect. MUST READ!

Hi @Sarahvich84,

Thank you for your valuable input. We certainly appreciate your continued support for NETGEAR. Rest assured we are working hard on consistently improving our product features based on customers feedback and this will be no exception. We will be looking into this as part of future updates.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7