Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear genie high cpu usage.

giants14
Novice

Netgear genie high cpu usage.

Not sure where to post this but do I need the netgear genie, because it keeps making my cpu go crazy. Thanks.

Message 1 of 17

Welcome to the forums. I wouldn't bother with GENIE. General consensus here is it's pretty useless. Save yourself the headache and uninstall. You can use the routers GUI to make any configuration changes you might need.
Message 2 of 17
stenopete
Tutor

You do and you don't. Depends what your needs are. Its good to have as it does make thing easier.

If you're one of those people that does everything through the browser then you don't need genie.

Side note - genie shouldn't be using a lot of CPU resources. Check for maleware and viruses. Use a good av scanner.

S..
Message 3 of 17
sir_bazz
Guide

Yeah I have noticed the same as the OP.

The geniedaemon constantly uses cpu even if the client itself isn't loaded.

In terms of CPU time, it's always the 2nd highest on my PC after Firefox.

Finally uninstalled it after reading this post
Message 4 of 17
stevnim
Star

I use Genie to print from iPhones/iPads using the AirPrint converter feature. Both my printers do not have AirPrint built-in. The latest version of Genie, 2.3.1.46, has a problem and seems to consume all resources. I've gone back to using 2.3.2.25 without problems.
Message 5 of 17

I had a feeling someone would chime in with you do and you don't.. (no offense intended BTW). Yes, for those who won't (can't) buy a true network printer and/or network attached storage, you need GENIE in all it's glory. So, I'll just say I like Netgear, but I don't like GENIE.
Message 6 of 17
stenopete
Tutor

I, for one, do like to use genie. It runs smooth and it has features that are useful. All my devices are connected and it transfers all my files that I need to share without any problems.

S..
Message 7 of 17
GregCz
Novice

I experienced the high CPU usage.
I tracked it down to TWO instances of the Genie code running at the same time. This may have been inflicted by a recent code upgrade. I removed the application using regular Windows Remove and deleted the program directory after a reboot. Reinstalled Genie and lived happily ever after 🙂

G
Message 8 of 17
scjay
Aspirant

I had 3 Window 7 PCs with Netgear Genie running (just upgraded to latest version) and noticed that two things wrong. CPU usage was high and Ethernet/internet performance was way down. These 3 PCs are mainly hardwired to my gigabit switch unless I undock my laptop and use the wifi. Performance would get worse throughout the day and the though put was about 1/100th the normal Ethernet speed until I rebooted the systems. Tracked it down to Netgear Genie. Removed the software and the CPU and network performance problems are gone.
Message 9 of 17
R01k
Follower

Yeah, those stock applications have the habit of not being too useful. I've never used Genie and haven't felt the need to so far.
Message 10 of 17
snakyjake
Tutor

Same problem here. I can't do media streaming (via Kodi/XBMC) with Genie enabled.

Disabling Genie is not an option since I'm making use of the Parental Controls Bypass feature.
Message 11 of 17
sierrdx
Initiate

I loaded Genie on two different PC's with the same result, CPU is pegging on both. This cant be an anomaly and is extremely annoying so I am removing it from both.
Message 12 of 17
stevnim
Star

stevnim wrote:
I use Genie to print from iPhones/iPads using the AirPrint converter feature. Both my printers do not have AirPrint built-in. The latest version of Genie, 2.3.1.46, has a problem and seems to consume all resources. I've gone back to using 2.3.2.25 without problems.
The new version released today of Genie, 2.3.1.57, seems OK and does not consume all resources.
Message 13 of 17
stevnim
Star

I spoke too soon and the resources problem is still a problem. After uninstalling Genie 2.3.1.57, computer system speed is back to normal.
Message 14 of 17
snakyjake
Tutor

Would you mind posting what processes are running?
What are your genie.ini settings?
Message 15 of 17
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I liken genie to a app which claims to save battery use. Another app running using resources claiming to save resources. Just like using fresh water to rinse cans and bottles before placing then in the recycling bin.LOLOLOLOLOL I don't use parental controls so I guess it does have some benefit it that's a concern.
Message 16 of 17
snakyjake
Tutor

Whoops...I don't need the genie.ini

But I am curious how much has to do with traffic or parental controls, or something.
Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7