Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear genie won't install on mac

DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @dmurphy, @galychanyn, and @BobbyAHorton,

This has already been reported and engineers were already made aware. We apologize for the inconvenience that this has caused you. Rest assured, we are working on a fix. Please keep an eye out for the next update.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 26 of 33
BobbyAHorton
Guide

DexterJB, and others concerning NetgearGenie not installing correctly on my Macs running OSx 10.10.5.

My problem got updated to NETGEAR support and they have assigned a NETGEAR Support Case number to it and have been in contact with me to obtain more details about my LAN configuration and the Modem and Netgear Router information. I have just sent them the information that they requested. Florence, Expert ID 8330, NETGEAR L2 Support Expert, sent me a message this morning that said she would try to coordinate with you, DexterJB. You may want to let her know who else has been having a simular problem with installing NetgearGenie on their Mac computers.

One other point. By using http://www.routerlogin.net and submitting the user name "admin" and password that I changed from the default, I can see a web based NetGear Genie display and control various Router functions. l assume that the netgearGenie.app provides the same information and similar controls in a more user friendly manner. I have downloaded the netgearGenie user manual.

Message 27 of 33
galychanyn
Aspirant

I have opened a support ticket and talked to a rep. He told me it is better to use routlogin.net since Genie has limited functionality. So, I wouldn't miss it too much. Another issue is the ReadyShare utility for printer sharing. It also doesn't work. As it was mentioned in another thread, they need Apple to release some source code in order to fix it. Sounds weird.

Message 28 of 33
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @BobbyAHorton,

Florence and I have been in contact and discussed this issue. We are trying to compile the necessary information for us to properly escalate the case and address it.

The web based NETGEAR Genie actually provides you with more control of the router settings compared to the application. You can use that as well in managing the settings of your router.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 29 of 33
tomfromva
Aspirant

While I can control all the router settings I want from the router firmware or http://www.routerlogin.net/index.htm the real function I want and cant get from the router but only from the genie app is airprint functionality on a mac which is connected to an old non airprint printer. Do we have an update date for the fix?

Tom  

Message 30 of 33
BobbyAHorton
Guide

@tomfromva @DexterJB @dmurphy @ranik @galychanyn

To all who have had trouble running NetgearGenie.app after installation on a Mac. Problem being that Mac OS says that app file is damaged or such.  Support just sent me a solution. Here it is.

Running the NetgearGenie.app after installation on your Mac from a non administrative user fails because the OS apparently doesn't see a read property for the app for the running account.  The fix is to go into the NetgearGenie.app's Mac information window (from Finder, do Get Info for the app) and unlock the info window, then add the user account from which you are running (click on + at bottom of "sharing and permissions" section of the window and then select account name to add to the Netgear.app's sharing and permissions section). It should be "Read only". I don't no why the "everyone" read only permission doesn't work, but adding the running account name allows the Mac OS to open and run NetgearGenie.app. I have done this on both my iMac connected directly to router and my macbook connected via wifi. Both from  nonadministrative accounts. I have not tried running NetgearGenie.app from my administrative account, so may have to specifically add the administrative account name while running from the administrative account.

Hope this helps everyone who has had the same trouble I have had.

Message 31 of 33
edkaye53
Aspirant

Changing the setting in on the Macbook allowed the app to install.  Thanks 

Message 32 of 33
Yuli
Aspirant

This worked for me. Thanks!

Message 33 of 33
Top Contributors