Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Betreff: NetgearGenie.exe enable Autostart on Windows 8.1

crowne
Follower

NetgearGenie.exe enable Autostart on Windows 8.1

I'm transtitioning to a new laptop running Windows 8.1 and I can't seem to get NetgearGenie to load automatically when I log on.

It was doing this without any issues on my previous laptop running Windows 7.

I've unchecked and checked the option in the tray "Settings / Enable Autostart"

I've tried adding a shortcut to the startup folder "shell:startup",

I've tried changing the settings on the shortcut to "Run as Administrator"

and I tried changing the compatability settings to Windows 7.

None of this seemed to work.

I am running NetgearGenie Version 2.4.12.

Does anyone have autostart working on windows 8.1?

If so did you do anything special to get the autostart working?

Message 1 of 13
DonKanone
Aspirant

I´ve the same problem, at first on W7 and now on W10. Autostart with no function.

Message 2 of 13
netwrks
Master

Re: NetgearGenie.exe enable Autostart on Windows 8.1

Here's a link to other 8.1 user's.  Just an FYI, Genie can have a negative impact on your network, running it on a PC. It is not required to run your router. So, if you do get it loaded, and your network starts to do weird things,  (network slow down wifi disappear) close the app, and see if you network stabilizes. You can login to the router via the default router ip address (192.168.1.1) from a web browser.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/General-WiFi-Routers/NetGenie-on-windows-8-1/m-p/379073#U379073

Message 3 of 13
Mike833335007
Aspirant

I too have the same issue.  Autoload worked fine in Windows 7.  Autoload does not work at all in Windows 10.  I use Genie for printing from my iPad to my Samsung printer through a TrendNet printer server.  Now I have to manually open Genie in order to print from my iPad; with Windows 7 I did not have to since Genie autoloaded automatically at startup without a hitch.  Not a big deal, but inconvenient.

Message 4 of 13
x123
Aspirant

I have same issue since updating from W7 to W8.1

will not auto start

if i manually start Genie, runs perfectly

Message 5 of 13
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @x123,

Please make sure that the NETGEAR Genie program is set to auto start. You may refer to the steps below:

1. Press the combination of Windows key + R to open the Run command.

2. Type msconfig and press Enter.

3. Select the Startup tab.

4. Make sure that the NETGEAR Genie application is checked.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 6 of 13
DonKanone
Aspirant

I had contact with the technical support and they will fix that problem
...best regards
Message 7 of 13
tamanaco
Apprentice

Still not fixed in Windows 10 with the latest release 2.4.16 - No icon shows up in the taskbar unless one starts the Genie Desktop Application.

Message 8 of 13
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @tamanaco,

I can confirm this. We are constantly working on the NETGEAR Genie program to make sure it provides the functionality that is expected of it. In the mean time, please make sure that you keep the program up to date for possible fixes.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 9 of 13
Mystara
Initiate

Since this application seems to ignore it's startup call, is it possible to start the program using a Startup folder shortcut and a command line option to minimize it to tray?

I know I do not need this application for most things, it does however provide me with the ability to Air Print from my mobile devices, so it has it's uses. That is something I cannot do from the web interface.

Message 10 of 13
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Mystara,

Yes, you may try adding the program shortcut to the Startup folder of Windows. As for letting it startup minimized, you can right click on the shortcut > select Properties > select the Shortcut tab > look for Run > select Minimized on the drop down menu > click Apply then OK.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 11 of 13
Zed273
Aspirant

I too had this problem but found a fix.  In this thread:

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/11216-startup-programs-wont-start.html

There are instructions for changing your security policy to allow certain apps to run.  Once I made the change, Netgear Genie would autostart (among a couple other programs I was having the same issue with).

Message 12 of 13
rsoane
Novice

I second this request. I find this feature essential in printing from my iPad/iPhone and while my desktop stays on pretty much 24/7, it does occasionally restart for updates I've set to auto login with my user account but the Genie app will not start automatically.

Message 13 of 13
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7