William10a
Master

Re: New Genie

How is it working out for you?

Message 2 of 25

Also on Android.

Not sure that I like it.

Why does it force me to have an on-line MyNetgear account before it will load and let me see what is happening on the local network?

Just  noticed, new desktop genie as well.

Message 3 of 25
William10a
Master

I find this what all the app's that used to work router's with all makers of routers today I believe that is partly a marketing game to get your information to target adds too you

Message 4 of 25
Smarbury
Initiate

You don't need to sign in with NETGEAR online account.

There is a SKIP button allowing you to skip it

Message 5 of 25
William10a
Master

It's a nice that netgear allows a out feature in the program set up some do not.

Message 6 of 25

@William10a wrote:

I find this what all the app's that used to work router's with all makers of routers today ...

Can you explain that please? I don't understand it.

Message 7 of 25

@William10a wrote:

"a out feature"

What's that? I haven't found it. Where do I look?

Message 8 of 25

One of those well hidden features.

It would help if it didn't invite me to sign in every time I launched the Android genie.

Message 9 of 25
William10a
Master

An opion to to sign up or not too sign for genie account.

Message 10 of 25
schumaku
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

Why does it force me to have an on-line MyNetgear account before it will load and let me see what is happening on the local network?

No, it does not. There is an opiton to skip below the myNETGEAR login resp. registration buttons. You can also use the top-left hamburger menu, and Sign-off myNETGEAR, and Sign-in later if required again. 

Don't be confused with the device (router) Log out and Login - the stuff you see in the lower white "status" for the router. 

Note the "Router Management - Locally Conncted" ...this is why a myNETGEAR login is already in place - it's used to enable and use the "Remote Access" feature btw.

Message 11 of 25
schumaku
Guru

Dislikes and shortcomings - DUT R9000 1.0.2.xx, Genie 3.1.10 on Android 7.1.2/7.1.1

- weak contrast - white on a light blue looks sexy, but can be hard to read

- Potrait mode only, not permitting display roation

- Main view has duplicated status/netowrk information wiht the SSID/WiFi Name on top _and_ below in the white box

- Main view, white box - Ruter Management (ie. the "Locally COnnected" and the Router WiFi name, like "NETGEAR5G" text massively oversized

- Network map -> (any wireless deivce) -> Details does no longer show the current link rate, only the Signal Strength is retained
- Network map -> Router -> Details lacks of the public IPv4 and IPv6 address(es).

More to come.

Message 12 of 25
William10a
Master

Sounds like the computer and logging into 192.168.1.1 is still the best way.

Message 13 of 25
schumaku
Guru

@schumaku wrote:

Note the "Router Management - Locally Conncted" ...this is why a myNETGEAR login is already in place - it's used to enable and use the "Remote Access" feature btw.

Can't figure out on thow this "Remote Access" feature should work. Away or on another (W)LAN, Genie 3 does attempt to connect local, it starts to explain on how to acccess the Netgear router WIFi.... 

Update: The "Remote Access" can work when using WWAN (3G/4G) network only, not when being connected by WiFi to other Internet connections. Hm, this sounds wrong to me, too.

Message 14 of 25

The important point is that this behaviour differs from what went before.

Why?

Beyond sending us all up a learning curve, other than the visuals what benefits does the new version bring to users?

Message 15 of 25
schumaku
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

Beyond sending us all up a learning curve, other than the visuals what benefits does the new version bring to users?

What about the opiton to cloud access to your home router from Genie - at least as long as it's not over WiFi, but WWAN 3G/4G:

Screenshot_20170224-224916.pngScreenshot_20170224-224926.png

Note: This R9000 is not exposed to the wild Internet at all, neither by IPv4 nor by IPv6 - so no public routable address required (essential for users with DSlite Internet Service connections), no direct admin port exposed, ...

Message 16 of 25
schumaku
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

Hey Michael,

Have just downloaded the PC version from -> Netgear genie - Network Control … At Your Fingertips - this Netgear genie version...

Version 2.4.38
Copyright (c) 2017, NETGEAR Inc.

... does not ask for the myNetgar account. Curious where you have discovered and downloaded a version wht myNetgear.com and hopefully remote access?

Message 17 of 25

@schumaku wrote:

@michaelkenward wrote:

Hey Michael,

Have just downloaded the PC version from -> Netgear genie - Network Control … At Your Fingertips - this Netgear genie version...

Version 2.4.38
Copyright (c) 2017, NETGEAR Inc.

... does not ask for the myNetgar account. Curious where you have discovered and downloaded a version wht myNetgear.com and hopefully remote access?

I found the new desktop genie for Windows when I ran the old one. It popped up with a "New version available" banner. (It may take time!)

Version 2.4.38. Looks just like the old one. No login or faff like that.

Message 18 of 25

I have found another massive bug in the new Android genie.

I have two wifi networks at home. When I tested the genie on my second network, it would not connect. No surprise, it wasn't a Netgear router/modem.

But now it simply will not connect to the original Netgear network.

It keeps on trying to connect to the IP address of the second network.

OK, no problem. Enter the IP address of the Netgear network manually.

Do that and it asks me to connect to the wifi network. Er, it is connected to the wifi network.

Fine, let the app guide me through connecting to the wifi network that it is already connected to.

It sits there "Detecting Connection". (Remember, it is already connect, as I have just done a speed test on it.)

OK, go to wifi settings. As expected, it confirms that I am connected.

"Go back". Still "Detecting Connection".

15 minutes later and it is still detecting. Truly sloppy programming, not to have some sort of timeout.

I just happen to have another Android device. Check that this will connect if I manually connect. Fine.

Did anyone beta test this pile of junk? A decent beta tests sets out to break the thing, not just to confirm that it works in in standard circumstances.

Message 19 of 25
William10a
Master

The problem seems to be give the programers more cpu power and more memory to play with they forget to how to keep their codes small and error free some times a simple code line work better.

Message 20 of 25
schumaku
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

I have found another massive bug in the new Android genie.

I have two wifi networks at home. When I tested the genie on my second network, it would not connect. No surprise, it wasn't a Netgear router/modem.

But now it simply will not connect to the original Netgear network.

It keeps on trying to connect to the IP address of the second network.

OK, no problem. Enter the IP address of the Netgear network manually.

Do that and it asks me to connect to the wifi network. Er, it is connected to the wifi network.

Fine, let the app guide me through connecting to the wifi network that it is already connected to.

It sits there "Detecting Connection". (Remember, it is already connect, as I have just done a speed test on it.)

OK, go to wifi settings. As expected, it confirms that I am connected.

"Go back". Still "Detecting Connection".

15 minutes later and it is still detecting. Truly sloppy programming, not to have some sort of timeout. 

The thing is that Genie (3?) does introduce a remoe or cloud access. Initially, and still randomly, I see similar things when connected to (complete) different (W)LAN. Somehow, it appears the remote connection can't be established.

When I see it right, the App will attempt to establish a cloud based remote connction unless the router and the mobile client are not on the same broadcast domain resp. TCP/IP subnetwork. It will no longer try to access an IP address evnen if it is direct routable - this set-up with multiple routers and NAT is a pain in the back anyway (sorry saying) and not really the usage case for the App.

Message 21 of 25
Pluto8
Apprentice

The thing is that Genie (3?) does introduce a remoe or cloud access.

Nothing new, the old Genie has both local and cloud access (at least the IOS version). When logging in, you can choose between “CloudAccess_At_Home” and “CloudAccess_Remote_Access”.

Message 22 of 25
guyguy
Apprentice

So, Netgear FINALLY updates the Genie but is there anything new with the update? Is there any new features or still the lame boring Genie? 

Message 23 of 25

See above.

Message 24 of 25
guyguy
Apprentice

See above where?  So they give Cloud Access and a different way to sign in. Those are the only two new features added to Genie? 

Message 25 of 25
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7