Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New Nighthawk App 2.2 Now Available!

Dustin_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

New Nighthawk App 2.2 Now Available!

NighthawkApp2.png

The Nighthawk App is now available to upgrade. Download the latest version to enjoy performance improvements, bug fixes, and the latest features like Remote Management. Now you can easily control and monitor your network from anywhere! Test your network speeds, pause device internet, and set up your guest network remotely. With remote management enabled, you can even set up voice commands for your router using your Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant device.

To download the latest version of the app, visit the following:

App Store | Google Play Store

Don’t forget to tell us your thoughts below!

Message 1 of 18
azsunny38
Aspirant

Re: New Nighthawk App 2.2 Now Available!

I downloaded this Nighthawk to update fireware on my router.

It asks me to complete two security questions. The first one is my oldest sister's first name. I only have one sister and I knew her name for sure. The 2nd question was my mother's middle name of which I know it for sure. But never one will they accept as if I don't know what I am talking about. I now can't get past this screen to continue on to update the fireware. This sucks.

Message 2 of 18

@azsunny38 wrote:

I downloaded this Nighthawk to update fireware on my router.

It asks me to complete two security questions.

Did you actually set up the questions and answers in password recovery?

A router can get into that "password recovery" mode if that feature is turned on but you have not set it up. I see this as a bug in the firmware.

If you know the username and password, try restarting the login process.

If you get stuck in recovery, then a factory reset is the only way to regain control. That will put you back to the default username and password.

After you have done that, either disable password recovery, or set it up with your own questions and answers.

Message 3 of 18
80njc80
Apprentice

D7800 is not supported error?  Looks like the following have been added in the version histories:

- Support for R6400v2 and R6700v3

- Supports the R6020, R6080, R6120, R6220, R6230, R6400, R6800 and R6900v2

- Added support for Nighthawk XR500

Message 4 of 18

@80njc80 wrote:

D7800 is not supported error?  

Looks like no modem routers are on that list. Were they ever?

The Android app says it is for routers.

Message 5 of 18
80njc80
Apprentice

Yup. But Netgear still email product updates as per below with direct links. It’s the little things that need to change...

“Don't Forget! We've Enhanced Your D7800 Product Security.
If you haven't already updated your router's firmware, you can do so using the Nighthawk App”.
Message 6 of 18

Joined up thinking, that would be a good idea.

Message 7 of 18
DaddioV
Initiate

Downloaded the new nighthawk app. It doesn't recognize my R7000P running latest firmware 1.3.1.26. The Genie app works great. Why do I need the nighthawk app and why doesn't it work with my router?
Message 8 of 18

@DaddioV wrote:
Why do I need the nighthawk app and why doesn't it work with my router?

You've got me there.

The Nighthawk app is sold as something to help us to set up routers. (There is also an Orbi version for the same purpose.) After that it is a pale imitation of the Genie, only confirmed by the lack of a desktop version of the Nighthawk thingy.

Your aren't missing much.

Message 9 of 18
-zion
Initiate

I just installed the Nighthawk app on my iOS device for my netgear xr500.

The pause/resume funtion, speed test functions etc arent really there or simply not working.

Is there a fix for this?

Thank you.

Message 10 of 18
DryHeat
Aspirant

I have set up my guest network without password.
The nighthawk app will not let me activate the guest network without filling in the password field.
Can the app be modified to allow this?
Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 11 of 18
DryHeat
Aspirant

I figured it out. I set the security to none.
Message 12 of 18
Gadgetguru09
Initiate

Still not impressed, missing a lot of functionality.

I really miss being able to set upload and download speed for each individual device on my network like I could with the Asus router and app.

Message 13 of 18
Rbenard
Aspirant

Genie properly suspends internet. Nighthawk app suspends but then wipes name of device and type of device (changes name to _ _).

Edit: when updating name / type Nighthawk app will not consistently save name/type. There seems to be no pull down on device list page refresh function.
Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 14 of 18
schumaku
Guru

@Rbenard wrote:
Genie properly suspends internet.

Luckily I don't think Genie has this power yet 8-)

@Rbenard wrote:
Nighthawk app suspends but then wipes name of device and type of device (changes name to _ _).
Edit: when updating name / type Nighthawk app will not consistently save name/type. 

Talking of "Device List" and the ability to Pause/Resume the Internet access? Must be a specific problem with your router firmware and or configuration. Works nicely using the Nightawk App (2.2.0.368 on Android 8.1) e.g. against the R9000 v1.0.4.3 here. 

@Rbenard wrote:
There seems to be no pull down on device list page refresh function.

The update/refresh does happen automatically - at least when a device is connected resp. disconnected from the (W)LAN - within about 10 seconds. Concurrent administration using different Apps/WebUI might not be a good idea as there is no lock (beyond of the Web based Genie sessions) and data push in place, the routers are pure single-user administration devices.

Message 15 of 18
htroudi
Apprentice

I would love to see "Wake On Lan" function through Nighthawk apps remote access.

Could such a function be implemented?
That would be awesome!!!

Thanks
Message 16 of 18
schumaku
Guru

@htroudi wrote:
I would love to see "Wake On Lan" function through Nighthawk apps remote access.

Could such a function be implemented?
That would be awesome!!!

Add it to the "Idea Exchange for Home" cummunity section - there are some other posts ref. WoL already.

Message 17 of 18
WyvernHall
Aspirant

Just a quick minor bug report: The device list on the Netgear Genie has may tablets correctly listed as 'Tablets' but they show up as 'scanner' on the Nighthawk app v2.2.4.397. I assume this is just an error assigning labels in the app so that they line up with the Genie.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 18 of 18
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7