Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New Nighthawk App - where are the parental controls??

patsch
Tutor

New Nighthawk App - where are the parental controls??

As suggested by Netgear I had set up an OpenDNS account and used the Netgear Genie App to enable / disable the parental controls on demand.

Today I was forced to upgrade to the new Nighthawk App - and the parental controls are gone.

I have now no way to turn parental controls off - I have to go through the OpenDNS site. This is a major inconvenience, as it was very useful to be able to just turn the Internet on for 5 minutes even during a configured 'down' timeslot.

Any reason why this feature was removed ? Esp. as the screenshot of the Nighthawk seems to suggest that it is still there ???

nighthawk.png

Model: R6020|AC750 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 34
patsch
Tutor

On a related note....I tried to factory reset the AC750 router to get rid of the parental controls alltogether - after 10 minutes the amber light is still blinking...I thought that factory reset (holding the button on the back for 5 seconds) should initiate a reboot ?

Message 2 of 34

@patsch wrote:

On a related note....I tried to factory reset the AC750 router to get rid of the parental controls alltogether...

What's the model number? It will be something like R6XXX.

AC750 is not a Netgear model number. It is a label that Netgear, and others, attach to hardware to describe wifi speeds.

Message 3 of 34
schumaku
Guru

@patsch wrote:

On a related note....I tried to factory reset the AC750 router to get rid of the parental controls alltogether

Factory reset won't disable LPC -> https://support.opendns.com/hc/en-us/articles/227987607-How-to-Enable-Disable-Live-Parental-Controls

As the LPC control is not available on the Nighthawk App (one of many shortcomings on the Nighthawk App), you have to head to the desktop (Windows or macOS) Genie versions. Head to https://www.netgear.com/lpc and scroll down for the downloads.

@patsch wrote:

... - after 10 minutes the amber light is still blinking...I thought that factory reset (holding the button on the back for 5 seconds) should initiate a reboot ?

Reads like corrupted firmware, requiring recovery. Same after power-off and power-on?

Message 4 of 34
earthsound
Star

@patsch wrote:

As suggested by Netgear I had set up an OpenDNS account and used the Netgear Genie App to enable / disable the parental controls on demand.

Today I was forced to upgrade to the new Nighthawk App - and the parental controls are gone.

I have now no way to turn parental controls off - I have to go through the OpenDNS site. This is a major inconvenience, as it was very useful to be able to just turn the Internet on for 5 minutes even during a configured 'down' timeslot.

Any reason why this feature was removed ? Esp. as the screenshot of the Nighthawk seems to suggest that it is still there ???

Netgear has dropped the ball here. If you have an Android device, you'll want to install the 3.1.74 version of the Genie app to retain the ability to configure connected devices using Access Control based on OpenDNS parental controls.

Don't upgrade the Genie app unless they've fixed this bug and add back support for all the router models they erroneously dropped recently. 

Message 5 of 34
patsch
Tutor

R6020

Model: R6020|AC750 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 6 of 34
codyag
Initiate

Same problem here, Disney Circle is not working either. Netgear, please fix this ASAP!
Model: R6900P|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 7 of 34
schumaku
Guru

@codyag wrote:
Same problem here, Disney Circle is not working either. Netgear, please fix this ASAP!

A little bit off-topic - Netgear does fail again to make things clear. Why on earth don't they use the term "Circle" or "Circle by Disney" also on the App? No, they replace it (apparently) by a tile named "Parental Control" and confuse both the Live Parental Control (OpenDNS based) as in place on many Netgear routers.

Back to Circle by Disney issue - Netgear has published yet another marketing video https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-App/Manage-Your-Network-amp-Get-More-Out-Of-Your-WiFi-Wit... stating:

"From the app dashboard, you have easy access to these features:

• Device List — Monitor the devices connected to your network and pause the Internet to any device.

• Internet Speed Test — Check the broadband speeds from your service provider.

• WiFi Settings — Update your router’s firmware and personalize your network name and password.

• Guest Networks — Set up separate WiFi access for guests.

Smart Parental Controls — Easily manage content & time online with Circle® with Disney.

• Remote Management — Easily monitor your home network anytime, anywhere."

Yet another marketing lie, isn't it @Dustin_V  ?

Message 8 of 34
moneymoney
Aspirant

Re: New to the community ... how can I get service

how can I get service what # do i call to pay the 65$ a month payment..

Message 9 of 34

Re: New to the community ... how can I get service

@moneymoney wrote:

how can I get service what # do i call to pay the 65$ a month payment..

Are you asking about Circle? Some other service?

What hardware do you own?

Have you set it up for Circle?

Have you tried this issue in the section given over to Circle?

Circle Smart Parental Controls - NETGEAR Communities

Message 10 of 34
lauranda
Tutor

You can re-enable Parental Controls by downloading the previous version of firmware and from routerlogin.net interface -> "Upgrading" (you will get a popup asking if you are sure you want to downgrade) to the Firmware Version 1.0.4.26 Download, see https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R9000.aspx#Firmware%20Version%201.0.4.26

Note: Release notes from v1.0.4.28 did not list any security updates.

Also, since the recent genie update, the app does not show parental controls option but the web interface does. So you might have to go to a browser vs. the app. @patsch thanks for the tip to install the 3.1.74 version

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 11 of 34

@lauranda wrote:

You can re-enable Parental Controls by downloading the previous version of firmware

Is it the firmware that has disabled Parental Controls or, as the first message from @patsch says, the Nighthawk app?

Message 12 of 34
lauranda
Tutor

It appears to be both. Now parental Controls can no longer be enabled in router login page even with the old firmware. Ugh
Message 13 of 34
schumaku
Guru

@lauranda wrote:
It appears to be both. Now parental Controls can no longer be enabled in router login page even with the old firmware. Ugh

Hm, there as never a control to enable it on the Web UI - it always redirected to the NTGR LPC Web page AFAIK.

You must use the Genie desktop program on Windows or MacOS to enable OpenDNS based LPC -> How do I configure Live Parental Controls on my NETGEAR router? Once enabled, most of the specific administration is done on the https://netgear.opendns.com/ Web page.

Message 14 of 34
lauranda
Tutor

Today I found I had to re-activate and setup OpenDNS - I was not able to do this from the web interface because it directs you to Circle Disne, but setup worked in the older version of Genie. Yaay! I can now enable/disable parental controls (see image) from the routerlogin.net web interface from my phone. Note: Old versions of Genie are available from APKPure app store!

Message 15 of 34
lauranda
Tutor

If you are still under warranty or have insurance with SQUARETRADE you can file a claim. 

Message 16 of 34
gojambi
Aspirant

How do I file claim?  I bought Dec 2018 for the sole purpose of having parental control feature. Looks like Genie desktop app is gone, nothing in the admin of the router and as of April 10 the Disney Circle app is gone. I want my money back to buy a router which does have this feature. Help!

Model: R6900|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Message 17 of 34
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @gojambi, welcome to the community! The desktop Genie will continue to work for the Live Parental Controls feature. You can download it on the link below and go to the DOWNLOAD PC or DOWNLOAD MAC links at the bottom.

https://www.netgear.com/home/discover/apps/genie.aspx

Also, your router (R6900) is among the models that do support the Disney Circle feature as described on the link below.

https://kb.netgear.com/000044718/What-NETGEAR-routers-support-Circle-with-Disney

Dexter

Message 18 of 34
schumaku
Guru

@DexterJB wrote:

Hi @gojambi, welcome to the community! The desktop Genie will continue to work for the Live Parental Controls feature.

Sorry Dexter,
Lot of features previously available with the Genie Apps only are not available on the desktop Genie. And the bypass account can't be used on the mobiles now, too. This aint a solution...

Message 19 of 34
gojambi
Aspirant

I downloaded circle Disney app and it says to connect to my WiFi which I am and the app doesn’t think I’m connected. Does this app even work? If so how do I setup and can I set specific times to shut down WiFi?? That’s why I bought the router
Message 20 of 34

@gojambi wrote:
I downloaded circle Disney app and it says to connect to my WiFi which I am and the app doesn’t think I’m connected. Does this app even work?

Have you set up your R6900 router to enable Disney Circle?

You need to do that before worrying about apps on a mobile.

By the way, did you read the earlier messages in this discussion? (You've joined in on something that started months ago from someone using different hardware.) Scroll back and you will see that there is a section of this place given over to Circle?

You don't say which app you are using. Android? iThing? It may make a difference.

@gojambi wrote:
If so how do I setup and can I set specific times to shut down WiFi??

You don't need Circle for that.

There is support stuff for the R6900, including a manual, at the end of this link:

>>> R6900 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

See the section Set Up a WiFi Schedule.

Message 21 of 34
earthsound
Star

@DexterJB wrote:

Hi @gojambi, welcome to the community! The desktop Genie will continue to work for the Live Parental Controls feature. You can download it on the link below and go to the DOWNLOAD PC or DOWNLOAD MAC links at the bottom.

https://www.netgear.com/home/discover/apps/genie.aspx

Also, your router (R6900) is among the models that do support the Disney Circle feature as described on the link below.

https://kb.netgear.com/000044718/What-NETGEAR-routers-support-Circle-with-Disney

Dexter

Dexter, 

Since the R6400v1 isn't supported, could you have the engineers set the Genie iOS and Android apps to allow it to keep managing those routers instead of pushing us to an app that doesn't even support our hardware or our Live Parental Controls?

Thanks!

Message 22 of 34
gojambi
Aspirant

This link brings up a new page with the new Netgear app. Don't see anything in there for parental controls. I upgraded firmware in router to latest. No parental controls from admin page. When I use circle w/ disney app it says connect to your wifi network. I am and I get an error "couldn't find circle on your router"  Do I need another piece of hardware to use in addition to the router?  Do I need to buy a circle device? I"m about ready to sell the router and buy one with real parental controls. ANy help?

Message 23 of 34

@gojambi wrote:

No parental controls from admin page.

Where are you looking? "Admin page" could mean several things.

If you have a PC or Mac, download the Netgear Genie:

genie Landing Page | Apps | Discover | Home | NETGEAR

Then you should see a tab for parental controls.

You could start here:

Parental Control | Block Websites | Internet Safety | NETGEAR

@gojambi wrote:

Do I need to buy a circle device? I"m about ready to sell the router and buy one with real parental controls.

You say that you have the R6900. According to this, your device supports Disney Circle.

What NETGEAR routers support Circle with Disney? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Don't give up. Just approach the thing methodically as described in the various articles.

Did you find this?

What are the available service plans when using Circle with Disney on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | ...

And, of course, there is this place:

Message 24 of 34
schumaku
Guru

@gojambi wrote:

This link brings up a new page with the new Netgear app.

There is "just" a very intrusive pop-up overlay promoting Netgear Nighthawk and Orbi Apps. Top right, you find a [X] control to close it and gain access to the Genie landing page again.

@gojambi wrote:

Don't see anything in there for parental controls. I upgraded firmware in router to latest. No parental controls from admin page.

This is exactly what the existing Netgear router user base like many of us does not understand - end apparently even less Netgear. We need continued App support for Netgear LPC (Live Parental Control) - either by allowing the Genie App again, or including the lPC support with the Nighthawk App (instead of bloatware like the WiFi Analyzer). The re-purposed the Parental Control button on the Nighthawk App does only appear while connected to routers supporting Circle. 

@AbhayB  please - your customers, your business!

Message 25 of 34
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 33 replies
  • 28 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7