Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New Nighthawk App - where are the parental controls??

gojambi
Aspirant

This link is obsolete. Genie app no longer works, replaced by Netgear app. Tried that, searched every option and no parental controls.

Model: R6900|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Message 26 of 34
DH53001665
Initiate

So I have read this thread. My warrant expired last week. I, like many others, bought this specifically to have detailed control of my network with four teenagers. This change is unacceptable- NETGEAR has not corrected it, therefore I will be forced to remove and sell this router to by one which has the features I want. It will not be a NETGEAR - this router was expensive - I won’t pay a second tie for NETGEAR.
Message 27 of 34

You have every reason to feel aggrieved, but if the router still supports parental controls, then the feature is still there, but he way of getting at it has changed.

The app isn't the only way. There might even still be a way to handle it remotely. If so, it would be nice of Netgear told people how to use it.

It is beginning to look like Netgear embarked on a major rework of the Netgear Genie to create the Nighthawk App and, as usual, underestimated how long it would take. There have been a few updates since the original launch, maybe there are more in the works. Customers have just been left in the dust.

Message 28 of 34
schumaku
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

You have every reason to feel aggrieved, but if the router still supports parental controls, then the feature is still there, but he way of getting at it has changed. The app isn't the only way. There might even still be a way to handle it remotely. If so, it would be nice of Netgear told people how to use it. 

Unfortunately, this is not the full truth . even if my standard answer is about the same as yours. There is functionality lost which was part of the Genie App, when it comes e.g. to enter a bypass account password on a device.

And I'm not fully convinced that some API features for LPC were retained on recent Nightawk model firmware builds, too. 

@michaelkenward wrote:

It is beginning to look like Netgear embarked on a major rework of the Netgear Genie to create the Nighthawk App and, as usual, underestimated how long it would take. There have been a few updates since the original launch, maybe there are more in the works. Customers have just been left in the dust.

Correct! However, there is not much wind coming up cleaning the dust away.

Message 29 of 34
Insomnix
Initiate

Netgear has yet to find a solution and after an hour of tickering I found a solution that works.

1 : Find a way to TELNET in to the router.

I used this one here http://www.antinode.info/nte/index.html

2 : run the NTE command to unlock telnet

mine was nte m=11:22:33:aa:bb:cc n=192.168.1.1 u=username p=password

You will see "nte: Received ACK message. Telnet access should be enabled."

3 : use PUTTy and telnet in to the router

4 : use the router credentials to log in to the router

5 : type the following

nvram set ParentalControl=0

6 : Restart router

This did it for me and I know that Netgear is not one to approve of going in through the back door, but I was not about to factory reset the router after they broke the function.  You may need to reboot the computer you used or go to a CMD window and use

ipconfig /dnsflush

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 30 of 34
Mikestur
Aspirant

I bought the new AX8 Router and I liked everything about it except for the app. It does not support parental control. I have been an ASUS user and was trying to switch to Netgear because of all the good reviews I see online. Today I will be returning the AX8 because Nighthawk app lacks a lot of functionality that the competition offers.
Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 31 of 34

@Mikestur wrote:
Today I will be returning the AX8 because Nighthawk app lacks a lot of functionality that the competition offers.

Netgear shot itself in the foot by introducing a new app before it was fully cooked. At the beginning of the year it published a video of the all-singing, all-dancing new NIghthawk app. Unfortunately, some months later too many of the feature demonstrated still don't work in the production version.

My guess is that parental controls and other missing features will return, but such is the pace of software development at Netgear that I am not holding my breath.

You may be able to do what you want by using the browser on your mobile device – it still works on the desktop app – but that is too complicated for some people.

If you want to try the browser option, just point a browser at thew OpenDNS account that you have set up for your router.

Message 32 of 34
schumaku
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

@Mikestur wrote:
Today I will be returning the AX8 because Nighthawk app lacks a lot of functionality that the competition offers.

Netgear shot itself in the foot by introducing a new app before it was fully cooked. At the beginning of the year it published a video of the all-singing, all-dancing new NIghthawk app.

Can't agree more. Booth feet, both knees, ...The Nightawk App can only support features implemented on the router - for now there is no OpenDNS support on these leading edge devices. Complete strange.

Pace ... what pace?

@michaelkenward wrote:

If you want to try the browser option, just point a browser at thew OpenDNS account that you have set up for your router.

Trouble is that there is no OpenDNS updater on the Netgear routers which are not supporting OpenDNS ...

Message 33 of 34
Mikestur
Aspirant

Yup that is one way but too cumbersome to setup also, I am constantly changing my sons Internet Time. With the ASUS app it is really easy to update the setting.

Message 34 of 34
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 33 replies
  • 28 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7