Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk Android App Keeps Stopping

captbad
Initiate

Nighthawk Android App Keeps Stopping

Today I attempted to open my Android phone's Nighthawk app (v 2.11.5.1716) and have continuously encountered a problem in accessing the app. When the app intially opens, it attempts to connect to the router, but then shuts down, displaying "Nighthawk has stopped." All efforts to fix the problem have failed, including unplugging and repowering both router and modem, resetting the router, and uninstalling/reinstalling the app. Bottom line, the app will no longer open up and work properly. It just immediately shuts down. 

As additional info, I updated the firmware on my R7000 router a few days ago--to v 1.0.11.128 (prior to experiencing the issue). Perhaps this is the source of the problem.

Any suggestions as to a fix?

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 7

Re: Nighthawk Android App Keeps Stopping

Netgear broke  this app in a recent update. It works on some devices but not on others. Samsung phones seem to be especially sensitive.

There are several conversations on this topic around here.

There was also an earlier episode when the iOS app failed.

One solution has been to track down the apk file for the previous version and install that. I tried. It worked briefly and then went the same way.

Message 2 of 7
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Thanks for all the info on this I will report the crashing to the engineers.

DarrenM

Message 3 of 7
captbad
Initiate

FYI latest Nighthawk Android app update, v 2.12.0.1770, finally enables my Samsung phone to connect successfuly to R7000 router--app no longer crashes when opened. Obviously problem was due to "bugs" in prior app version. 

Message 4 of 7

@captbad wrote:

FYI latest Nighthawk Android app update, v 2.12.0.1770, finally enables my Samsung phone to connect successfuly to R7000 router--app no longer crashes when opened. Obviously problem was due to "bugs" in prior app version. 

It certainly works in some circumstances, but it still crashes in others.

I use the app to control two routers through Anywhere Access.

The app happily launches an goes to the device it first finds. But if I switch from one router (7800) to another (R7000P), or even from Anywhere Access to local Wifi, it still falls over.

However, restart the app and it will launch and connect to the router that I was trying to switch to before the crash.

So, progress but still not a permanent fix.

The Orbi version doesn't crash. But that connects to just one device.

Message 5 of 7
NighthawkdownS
Aspirant

I purchased the Nighthawk AX8 in January and since the beginning of summer my Nighthawk App keeps crashing. I reset my Samsung S10e mobile phone and sill did not correct the issue. I also installed it on my older Samsung S9 and the same issue happened. I installed it on an iPhone 7 and the app works fine. My old phone (iPhone7) is an old phone that I have kicking around. I paid $400 for this router and it seems that Netgear has not fixed the issue as of yet, Will Netgear fix the issue or will I just return the router to Costco? let me know if you plan on fixing the issue of the Nighthawk App on Android on Samsung phones. It's been months and no fix has issued. It’s disappointing that after spending this much money and be patient on a fix that Netgear has done nothing to fix the issue.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 6 of 7

@NighthawkdownS wrote:

let me know if you plan on fixing the issue of the Nighthawk App on Android on Samsung phones.

You don't say who you are talking to there, but I have no plans to fix the issues on your phone.

I can't. Like most people here, I am just another customer.

Perhaps you meant to ask @DarrenM for help.

It is hard to know whom to blame for this problem. It seems to be limited to Samsung phones.

In my case. I have found that while the Nighthawk app crashes, I have worked out how to get it to do what I want. (This is a slight improvement on the first version of the app that crashed.) I find that the problem shows up only when I switch between routers (I have two) and how I access them (local wifi or Anywhere Access).

You don't say what you are doing when the app crashes, or even which version you have installed. (I have V2.12.0.1770.) So there's not much more I can add. With luck Netgear is on the case and will mend the app soon.

@NighthawkdownS wrote:

I paid $400 for this router and it seems that Netgear has not fixed the issue as of yet, Will Netgear fix the issue or will I just return the router to Costco?

Only you know if the features that you can't use through your Samsung phone are serious enough to return your router. For me, I do nothing of consequence through that route.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7