Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk App Device Offlne (Code:CDIL-API-FAIL)

rpmurph8300
Apprentice

Nighthawk App Device Offlne (Code:CDIL-API-FAIL)

I rebooted my RAX50 router last night and now the internet led is red, although i have access to the internet and everything seems to be working.

However when i go to my Netgear Nighthawk app and look at devices i get an error message that says device offline:: CDIL-API-FAIL which i've never seen before.

I did a factory reset of the router, reloaded firmware, and reboot, but haven't been able to fix the issue. Anyone have suggestions on how to fix this? Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 25
plemans
Guru

what modem/gateway is it connected to?

Message 2 of 25
rpmurph8300
Apprentice

I use the RAX50 in AP mode so it connects to the switch which connects to the firewall which is connected to the ISP modem.

I got the app to start working and showing attached devices after doing another factory reset and not loading my backup config but recreating the settings from sratch. However the ISP light is still red.

The modem is technicolor TC8715D.

ISP Modem > Firewall > Switch > RAX50

Message 3 of 25
plemans
Guru

In AP mode, the RAX isn't controlling any of that. 

Plus you have a Modem/router combo device and a firewall in line. I'd be betting on one of the devices that is actually managing routing functions to be blocking something. 

Which features are disabled on my NETGEAR router when it is set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Suppor...

Message 4 of 25
rpmurph8300
Apprentice

I mean everything is working normally just don’t ever remember the internet led being red.

I see there are other posts about people with a similar issue with the led being red but everything is working normally.

Message 5 of 25
rpmurph8300
Apprentice

LED is white today and was able to confirm anywhere access can be enable again. I didnt touch any other settings on any of the network appliances following the issue yesterday. Appears to be some kind of delay after rebooting the wireless router and then restoring the factory settings.

Message 6 of 25
rpmurph8300
Apprentice

Well unfortunately, both issues have come back again. I rebooted the router again just to test and sure enough the led light is red and when I go to my devices in the Nighthawk app i get that same error (Device Offline code: CDIL-API-FAIL) and it won't load any connected devices.

This definietly seems like a bug in the firmware 1.0.3.96 or an issue with Netgear's services or APIs. Debating whether i should try and downgrade the firmware? Eitherway i think Netgear support needs to take a look at this.

Message 7 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to contact NG support about. 

@DarrenM 

Message 8 of 25
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

I will escalate this error up to our Devs.

DarrenM

Message 9 of 25

I have same issue with RAX50 and support does not have answer. I have been thru all the resets and firmware upgrades and no luck.

Thinking about downgrading
Message 10 of 25
rpmurph8300
Apprentice

Sorry to hear your having the same issue. Although it does make me feel a little better it wasn't just me. Been trying to get support to esclate this. Haven't gotten an answer yet whether they think its an issue with the latest firmware or latest version of the app, or maybe something with the APIs. On Friday on sent them screenshots of the app errors and a debug log from the router.

Message 11 of 25
rpmurph8300
Apprentice

FYI. I did end up downgrading temporarily until Netgear fixes the issue, which is hopefully soon. Majority of the issues appear to be resolved with the previous firmware version, except the access control.

Message 12 of 25

What upsets me is one pays so much $ for a high grade router and you would expect support. I purchased 6 months ago and the phone support has expired. To offer only email support and going back and forth with foolish troubleshooting tips is uncalled for. If you can prove downgrading fixes most of it why can’t they learn something?
How do you downgrade the iPhone app? My problems started when they upgraded the app,
Message 13 of 25
rpmurph8300
Apprentice

I couldnt agree more. The support for these higher end products should be free.

Yea I'm not super cofident the tech i spoke with its gonna be able to get all the info, screenshots and logs to the correct person so this can get resolved. The only way i know to downgrade the app for iOS is by restoring your phone from an icloud backup when the app was using an earlier version (and don't update this time or turn off automatic updates) because you can't install older version from the app store. I'm sure there are other ways though.

Message 14 of 25

@DarrenM 

Is there an update on this?

Also the updated iPhone app will not let me connect locally unless I wipe it and reinstall then I can connect locally and see devices but as soon as the Anywhere Access takes over we get the error (Code:CDIL-API-FAIL) and there is no way to get back to local option.  In viewing the screen shots at https://www.netgear.com/home/services/nighthawk-app/ I can see where like the previous app where we can have a choice as remote or local access.  Please push this to App Dev because we can't downgrade on the app to get it working again. 

Message 15 of 25
rpmurph8300
Apprentice

I've had the same issue with the app connecting using "anywhere access" even though i was on the local lan. I was only able to resolve this by deleteing the app and reinstalling like you mentioned. I reported this to them in my case as well.

Message 16 of 25
rpmurph8300
Apprentice

When you say updated phone app are you referring to the Nighthawk app update that was just released today for iOS? Looks like the new version for iOS is 2.11.5.17.

Message 17 of 25

the new version for iOS is 2.11.5.17 now shows my EAX15  expander locally and the devices on that.  When i first updated the app it searched for and showed thr RAX50 locally and looked like it was going to work but it soon forced itself to use Anywhere Access and of course the devices do not show anymore.  I was hopefull for a instant. 

It shows  Error Could not reach server. Try again later.  (Code:CDIL-API-FAIL)   I still think this is an app or their server issue for the Anywhere Access.

Message 18 of 25

Due to the poor and drawn out support and the fact Netgear will not take the ownership seariously of creating the problem with the upgrade of the app, we can not function any longer as a home business with this expensive junk from Netgear.  They refuse to move this to higher support level and have given me bottom level support via email that asked stupid queston like is it powerd on, etc.  I have reinstalled, wiped to factory clean both the router, extender and software 6 times now folllowing thier steps cause they have no idea on what thier doing.   I brought this problem up with a neighbor IT guy and he told me he had same support problem with them earlier so he dumped the Netgear product.

We have removed this equipment and replaced it with working flawlessly equipment from a competitor. I will never use or recommend Netgear to anyone.

Since it is in warranty, I should get a refund or a new replacement of my router and extender. This was good money throwed away.

Message 19 of 25
rpmurph8300
Apprentice

I still have yet to see any updates whether this is an issue related to the Netgear Nighthawk app or an issue related to the firmware.

In addition i've noticed that the access control is not working. Even after selecting pause in the Netgear Nighthawk app, network access to the device is not stopped and when viewing the device from the router management gui under Security > Access Control it does not show blocked which is very misleading. At this point I would not rely on this functionality for stopping network access to the device.

Message 20 of 25

It should be illegal for a manufacture to make an update that doesn't work per their product advertising and refuse to support or refund the paid price while in warrenty after they break it.  I know some states have lemon laws on vehicles. I wish it was on things like this.

They have your money and laugh it off as you leave to go to their competitor.   BTW Netgear told me to go get a refund from the seller but they only offer 30 days after purchase not the warrenty.  

Message 21 of 25
sy123
Aspirant

NIGHTHAWK 2.11.6.0 doesn't work on my iPhone XR, but it works on my iPad Pro.

Message 22 of 25
JW21
Aspirant

Message 23 of 25
ElSix
Aspirant

Digging this up as this has been an issue for about a year now with my APP and nothing I wanted to add other services (paid) on controlling devices for kids etc but this issue has definitely left a sour taste in my mouth. Any and all Updates on this error would be appreciated. 

Modem: MR80 

Firmware: V1.1.6.14

iOS APP

Version: 2.18.1.6

Message 24 of 25
rpmurph8300
Apprentice

I personally switched to a Synology RT6600AX and so far I love it. Really no comparison in features, capabilities, mobile app, etc. I got so tired of dealing with the Netgear….only being able to get support if paying for it, constant Nighthawk app issues, new firmware breaking stuff, etc. I kept the RAX50 as a backup but don’t have any plans to really use it further.
Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7