Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk App: Firmware 1.1.6.6 - Device Map Shows No Connected Devices; Device Manager Missing

Brezle
Tutor

Nighthawk App: Firmware 1.1.6.6 - Device Map Shows No Connected Devices; Device Manager Missing Info

Details

Mesh system

- MR80 tri-band router

- MS80 tri-band satellites (x3)

- Firmware: 1.1.6.6

App

- iOS (iPhone 12) v.2.11.6.0

Issue

For 2 months before I updated firmware to 1.1.6.6, everything on the App was working fine.

- The device manager showed me for each device:  (i) connection type - whether connected to router, or to satellite 1, 2, or 3; and (ii) band and link rate.

- The network map also worked properly:  when I clicked on the router or any of the satellites, it showed me what devices were connected to it, what band they are on, and the link rate.

Here is what they looked like before I updated the firmware:

Device Mgr - Before Firmware UpdateDevice Mgr - Before Firmware UpdateNetwork Map - Before Firmware Update

One week ago I updated the system to firmware 1.1.6.6, and everything has gone to hell.

- The device manager list looks completely different -- it is a white interface (not gray like before), tells me nothing about which component the device is connected to, or the link rate

- Worse, the Network Map shows me "no connected devices" for all of the components -- the router and all 3 satellites.

Here is what they look like now:

Device Manager - After Firmware UpdateDevice Manager - After Firmware Update

Network Map - After Firmware UpdateNetwork Map - After Firmware Update

Although I can still see in Device Manager what devices are connected to my network, that is the only information I now get.  I have no idea what devices are connecting to each satellite or the router or what link rate they have (and none of these details are available via the router's firmware page either).  This leaves me no ability to assess or optimize the architecture or connections in my network.

I have already tried the following, so suggesting I do these again will not be helpful:

- factory reset of the router and all 3 satellites (by inserting paper clip into "reset" buttons)

- reinstalling the system anew on the App, from scratch

- deleting and reinstalling the App multiple times

- logging into the App remotely via Anywhere Access (not via my wifi network)

Oddly, when I reinstalled the system from scratch, the issues seemed fixed very briefly (the device manager and network map at least looked like they did before the firmware update), but within minutes of the system being up and running again, all the problems reemerged.

I have to believe this is being caused by the update to firmware 1.1.6.6, as these problems never happened before and emerged simultaneously with the update.

I appreciate any suggestions or advice.  Thanks.

Message 1 of 21
Brezle
Tutor

Re: Nighthawk App: Firmware 1.1.6.6 - Device Map Shows No Connected Devices; Device Manager Missing

Don't know what happened with the photos - let me try again:

Device Mgr - BeforeDevice Mgr - Before

Device Mgr - AfterDevice Mgr - After

Network Map - Before

Network Map - AfterNetwork Map - After

Message 2 of 21

@Brezle wrote:

Don't know what happened with the photos - let me try again:

It may be some time before the images land. To ensure that you aren't posting anything naughty, a Netgear moderator has to approve the pictures.

You can attach images to messages without any delay.

Message 3 of 21
RJNY
Aspirant

I am expereincing he same issue follwing the 1.1.6.6 update - the device manager has changed, lack of detials for each satalllite and unable to see all the devices. 

Message 4 of 21
RJNY
Aspirant

Can we go back the prior firmware ?

Message 5 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Has A reset been performed? 

@RJNY wrote:

Message 6 of 21
RJNY
Aspirant

HI, short answer is no I have not perfomed a reset.  I've alerted support and await to hear a response as others have reported the same issue. I would like a more specific insight.... 

Message 7 of 21
Brezle
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Has A reset been performed? 

@RJNY wrote:

Yes I have done a reset. In the original post, I listed everything I have tried already:

- factory reset of the router and all 3 satellites (by inserting paper clip into "reset" buttons)

- reinstalling the system anew on the App, from scratch

- deleting and reinstalling the App multiple times

- logging into the App remotely via Anywhere Access (not via my wifi network)

Netgear has to be aware that 1.1.6.6 is causing issues for a lot of people -- does anyone have knowledge of a fix or one that is in progress?  Thanks.

Message 8 of 21
SoCalSharkLord
Aspirant

Exact same issue/NO devices found on my 2 satellites..but to add it has also affect WiFi....3 story home/seems like the WiFi is ONLY emitting from base/home unit - my 2 satellites have a gaming console plugged in to each via Ethernet cord but as I go higher in house, WiFi strength dwindles...before this firmware, I had strong signal throughout house. Help NetGear?!?

Message 9 of 21
lisatkd
Tutor

I am having the same issue since updating the app!  Are they aware of this issue?  There is no way to report this issue unless you have a paid agreement.

Message 10 of 21
wonge01
Guide

Has there been any response on this issue?  I'm past my 30 day complimentary support and was never provided a solution. I did the factory reset like everyone else, along w/ reinstalling the App on my iPhone but neither worked.  I'm reluctant to reflash the firmware as I don't think that will resolve the issue based upon other's responses here.  

Netgear team, will there be a response to this subject?

Message 11 of 21
RJNY
Aspirant

No response in the community no response to my case.. The issue still exists and they've simply disappeared. Very disappointing
Message 12 of 21

@wonge01 wrote:

I'm past my 30 day complimentary support 

90 days.

"NETGEAR provides complimentary technical support for NETGEAR products for 90 days from the original date of purchase."

Support | NETGEAR

Message 13 of 21
wonge01
Guide

typo, on support time frame, regardless there doesn't seem to be any response from support on this issue.

Message 14 of 21
SoCalSharkLord
Aspirant

Has anyone heard ANYTHING regarding this ongoing issue??

Message 15 of 21
DS_Miller
Initiate

I have the same issue with my MR60 and while I have been unable to solve the problem with a factory reset and reinstall, I have found you can log in to the satelite directly using the IP of the Satelites. the user is admin and the password is what you use to log in to the primary router.  There you can see the option for connected devices.  Its not as convienient as the app, but it works. 

Message 16 of 21
rodneyiii
Aspirant

Can you help me log into the satellite as you described?  I also have the MR60 Nighthawk mesh system and have the same issue.

@DS_Miller wrote:

I have the same issue with my MR60 and while I have been unable to solve the problem with a factory reset and reinstall, I have found you can log in to the satelite directly using the IP of the Satelites. the user is admin and the password is what you use to log in to the primary router.  There you can see the option for connected devices.  Its not as convienient as the app, but it works. 

Message 17 of 21
DS_Miller
Initiate

To log in directly to Satelite: 

1. Open Nighthawk App on phone ( these instructions are for an iPhone)

2. Select Network Map

3. select one of the satelites

4. Select the detail tabs ( note: it takes a while before you can select. first the app has to try to load devices. of course this dosnt work.  Eventually, you can select the Details Tab. 

5. Schrol down and get the IP Address of the satellite

6. Launch a browser and put the IP Address in the address bar and enter

7. this should launch the sign in page where the USER ID= admin and the password is what you created when you set up the router.  If you never changed the default. the password is listed on a tag under the router.

8. Select attached devices from options on left of page 

Good Luck - Let me know how it goes.  

Message 18 of 21
wonge01
Guide

Thanks, yes found that but just not what is represented with the product. If you are going to offer the App and the advertised features it should work as intended. Very disappointed and will not buy Netgear again when I do my next upgrade
Message 19 of 21
mgiannace
Aspirant

So after speaking with tech support who hung up on me or we mysteriously were disconnected , I went back into Routerlogin.net and reran the smart setup. After that everything came back up and now my devices are showing up that are connected to the Satellites Wifi and Plugged in. I fixed this on my own. This is for the MR80 Nighthawk Mesh System

Message 20 of 21
mercat68
Aspirant

Complaing about this on a Nighthawk Mesh thread and they pointed me this way after figuring out (via the log-in to the satellite unit route you describe here) that my system's fine and the app is broken. Problems started for me after upgrading MR60 firmware to 1.1.6.122 (manually). I've flagged another problem for Netgear with the app since the firmware upgrade: The speed test doesn't appear to be working correctly. Previously, you'd see it go thorugh several rounds of download and upload before giving you a final result. Now, it doesn't do that and just immediately tells you the quality of your connection speed (with zero data showing for download/upload rates). I've used the in-app bug reporting system (shake phone to bring up menu) to report both problems.

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7