Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk App Logon Timeout

Sund0387
Guide

Nighthawk App Logon Timeout

I can not access my WiFi settings using the Nighthawk App. I get to the admin login portion and type in my password and an error message pops up saying logon timeout.

I’ve tried resetting the admin password multiple times and have removed special characters from this password as well...no dice.
Model: C7000-1AZNAS|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 58
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Sund0387,

Welcome to the community! May you let us know the current Nighthawk app version you have installed (iOS or Android)?

Thanks,
Christian 

Message 2 of 58
Sund0387
Guide

Version 2.5.1.10 on iOS.
Message 3 of 58
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Sund0387, 

Can you check to see if you're able to access the admin page using a web browser. 

Christian 

Message 4 of 58
Sund0387
Guide

Yes, I’m able to access this. I type in the same credentials in the app and get the error message.

I’ve also uninstalled and reinstalled the app on my phone, tried changing my admin password, restarting my modem/router.

None of this works—it is an issue with the app.

One of your colleagues informed me via chat that others are having this issue as well, and that your engineers are working on pushing out an app update. Is this correct?
Message 5 of 58

According to Netgear, not always the most reliable source, the Nighthawk app does not support the C7000, it that is what you have.

Which products support the NETGEAR Nighthawk app? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Just the C7000V2.

The C7000 is down to the Netgear Genie app.

Which NETGEAR home router models can I manage using the NETGEAR genie app? | Answer | NETGEAR Suppor...

Message 6 of 58

PS A good place to check out stuff on the C7000 is the appropriate section of this place:

Cable Modems & Routers

The support pages for the C7000 also suggest that you need the Netgear Genie:

If you visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

you can feed in your model number and find the documentation and downloads for your hardware.

Message 7 of 58
Sund0387
Guide

I believe I have C7000v2. That’s what it says when I access the router setting through a web browser anyway?

I’ll try the genie app again, but that one wasn’t working for me either. Did some digging and found that it is no longer updated and that people are supposed to migrate to the nighthawk app?
Message 8 of 58

@Sund0387 wrote:
I believe I have C7000v2. That’s what it says when I access the router setting through a web browser anyway?

OK. That wasn't obvious from your earlier messages.

Knowing the exact details is important.

Netgear's "drop-down" database is often out of date.I see that your model is not listed as an option!

Message 9 of 58
Sund0387
Guide

As of March 2020, the C7000v2 is listed as being supported on the Netgear website.

https://kb.netgear.com/000055505/Which-products-support-the-NETGEAR-Nighthawk-app
Message 10 of 58

@Sund0387 wrote:
As of March 2020, the C7000v2 is listed as being supported on the Netgear website.

That's why it is important to know the version. Not all C7000s are equal. Thanks to Netgear's database, your first message said C7000, effectively V1.

Support for the Nighthawk App requires a firmware change on modems and routers. Unfortunately, there is nothing that Netgear can do about the firmware on a cable modem/router. That is in the hands of the Internet service provider, most of which seem to be reluctant to upgrade modems on their networks, especially when they were not the original supplier.

In the case of the C7000v1, users are struck with the Netgear genie, an option that many people prefer because it is more powerful than the Nighthawk App. The Genie supports things like Parental Controls. The Nighthawk app ditched that free service in favour of the paid-for Circle.

The C7000v2 must have emerged after Netgear moved over to the Nighthawk App. Unfortunately, Netgear doesn't help with the manual for the C7000v2. That also talks about the genie app. Go figure.

As it is, serious users avoid all of those mobile apps. They prefer the browser graphical user interface. That will also work on mobile devices.

You may have to do that until Netgear comes up with a solution to your inability to get the Nighthawk App to play nicely. As your purpose seems to be to control the wifi, the browser is as good a way to go as any.

We don't know what it is that you want to control with the wifi. There are some things that you can control with the browser that are beyond the app's capabilities. Parental Controls, for example, are beyond the scope of the Nighthawk app, unlike the older genie.

Bit of a mess I'd say.

Message 11 of 58
d2randall
Tutor

Same thing is now happening with the Nighthawk app and my 

NIGHTHAWK® AX8 8-STREAM AX6000 WIFI 6 ROUTER™ (RAX80)

It started happening after the RAX80 firmware update of: V1.0.3.98_1.0.46

If I reboot the RAX80, I can get the Nighthawk app via Samsung Galazy 9+ to logon, but it will not allow a re-logon after you close and reopen the Nighthawk app V2.5.6.1130. It consistently gives me the error of, "Logon timed out, please try again. If this issue persists, try rebooting your device."

I can consistenly login via 192.168.1.1/start.htm from my computer with no problem using my user name & password; the same user name & password I use on my Nighthawk app. 

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 12 of 58
Mooncatt
Tutor

I'm now getting this too. I first noticed it a while back (maybe one or two months?) but don't use the app often and forgot until I tried again today. Everything use to work flawlessly, but not sure what changed. I suspect the app itself, which was updated twice since I noticed this.

Router: R6120, firmware 1.0.0.70 (issue also happened on 1.0.0.66)

App version: 2.6.0.1215, though happened on at least one and possibly 2 versions prior

Tried rebooting the router, cleared app cache and data, and doing the setup over again. I can access the router via logging in through a web browser.
Message 13 of 58
Mooncatt
Tutor

Guessing someone listened. I just updated the app to version 2.6.1.1217 in Google Play, which specifically mentioned the admin login bug. All is working again for me and logged in the first try.
Message 14 of 58
Bdavolley
Aspirant

Same issue. I tried to add the Mesh Extender X65 AC3000 and could not log into the app to add it. I thought maybe I simply forgot my password, which was odd, because I usually know what it is. I followed the prompts and reset my router to factory settings and started over. Now I can't get into the app to manage the router. I just get a message telling me that I "timed out," so I can't connect any of my devices to the router. I have been at it for 3 hours now of what should have been a few simple clicks. I have 3 kids virtually schooling and a wife working from home and the router is down. Are you kidding me? Any help would be appreciated.

*I re-downloaded the Nighthawk app several times tonight, so I assume it is the latest version. iOS 2.6.0.13

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 15 of 58
Xenobiotics
Initiate

I am getting the same message in the Nighthawk App as others mentioned above "Logon timed out, please try again.  If this issue persists, try rebooting your device."

I've tried everything.  Rebooting the router, rebooting my phone, reinstalling the app, changing the password to the router, etc.  No luck.  Can anyone help please?

UPDATE:  I downgraded the firmware from v1.0.2.134 to v1.0.2.130, and now I can connect using the app.  This isn't the first time a firmware update has broken the app.  So frustrating.  If I could go back in time, I would tell myself not to buy this router---and to steer completely clear of Netgear.

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 16 of 58

@Xenobiotics wrote:

UPDATE:  I downgraded the firmware from v1.0.2.134 to v1.0.2.130, and now I can connect using the app.  This isn't the first time a firmware update has broken the app.  So frustrating.  If I could go back in time, I would tell myself not to buy this router---and to steer completely clear of Netgear.

Oh so true.

One thing to try, if you haven't done so already, is a factory reset with the new firmware.

If you have, forget it.

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

This is a nuisance because you then have to reconfigure the device all over again.

You can backup your settings before you reset and restore them later. But that may just bring back the fault. Then again, at least you will know if the reset fixed the problem.

Message 17 of 58
lexllp
Tutor

I had the same issue here. App version 2.6.2.12. Router R8000P. The App was working until a couple of weeks ago, when I received the time-out message, and was never able to get on again even after resetting the router. I had Face ID on, so the password should be correct. No issue with logging in from the web at 10.0.0.1 with the phone's browser. This is definitely a bug. I also had the issue of the router itself not auto updating to the new firmware or downgrading to a previous version. It's stuck on V1.4.1.50_1.3.10. The whole system is a big mess.

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 18 of 58

@lexllp wrote:

No issue with logging in from the web at 10.0.0.1 with the phone's browser.

This suggests an atypical installation.The default LAN IP address for the browser graphical user interface is 192.168.1.1.

Unless you set that up deliberately, that IP address usually happens when you put a router behind a router. (More often it is a modem.router.)

In those circumstances some things won't work as expected.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 19 of 58
lexllp
Tutor

Not sure how that is relevent. The Nighthawk App was working for five months in that setup and it is not now. Yes, I set the router behind a FIOS router, which is in bridge mode. I can access the R8000P either from 10.0.0.1 or 192.168.1.2. This was the same setup on the R6900 for many years before I replaced it with the R8000P. Long stories short, I've had problems with Circle, Time Machine, etc. that led me to think that Netgear firware is not up to par. Users shouldn't have to search for tricks and obscure routines to fix some hidden issues on a router that ought to be a plug and play for simple wi-fi setups.

Message 20 of 58

@lexllp wrote:

Not sure how that is relevent.

Fine.I thought you might be interested in investigating your issue.

I can see how it might be relevant – based on experience and what I read here – but that is your call.

@lexllp wrote:

Users shouldn't have to search for tricks and obscure routines to fix some hidden issues on a router that ought to be a plug and play for simple wi-fi setups.

True. But they should know how to configure their networks correctly.

Double NAT is not a hidden issue. It is a well known "feature" that can  wreck an otherwise functioning network.

Message 21 of 58
lexllp
Tutor

Thanks for your answers. I apprciate it your help. As mentioned, I don't have a double NAT issue since the fios router is functioning only as a bridge, which is one of the solutions offered in the link you provided.

Message 22 of 58
neilwar
Tutor

I am having this problem but think I might have found the cause. Am I right in thinking the app will only work on one device?

It works fine on one of my iPads but I get this problem on the other.

Very silly if that's the case .

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 23 of 58

@neilwar wrote:

Am I right in thinking the app will only work on one device?

No.

@neilwar wrote:

It works fine on one of my iPads but I get this problem on the other.

Suggests that the problem is on your iPad.

I have used the Nighthawk app on many different devices.

Message 24 of 58
neilwar
Tutor

It works fine on one of my iPads and not on the other. Save version.

Message 25 of 58
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7