Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk App - No longer accessible if Orbi is in AP mode doing the WiFi

migsta
Apprentice

Nighthawk App - No longer accessible if Orbi is in AP mode doing the WiFi

So, how come I can no longer access the XR500, using the Nighthawk mobile app when Orbi is in AP mode doing the WiFi?  To explain further, I setup the XR500 (no Orbi yet) and it's online doing WiFi as well.  I setup the Nighthahwk (NH) app and I can connect to the XR500 over the NH ios app.  Then, I disable the WiFi/radios on teh XR500 and put the Orbi online in AP mode but doing the WiFi now.  Orbi works well and I can access Orbi locally and remotely using the iOS app but I can no longer access the XR500 using the NH ios app (something about this app cannot find a supported router).  Is this because the XR500 needs to have its WiFi on?  If so, this doesn't make sense as I should be able to access the XR500 over the NH app even though I'm connected to my Orbi's WiFI.  Afterall, the Orbi does see the XR500 since it obtained an IP from it to run in AP mode.  Any ideas how I might get this to work?  The subject says R7800 but it's the XR500 that I am using.  Could not pick it from the Hardware list.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
schumaku
Guru

Issue would be the same regardless if the router is a XRnnn or a Rxxxx - many similar reports in the community already. The Apps are tested with "just" the routers - no interoperability tests are seemingly done e.g. with Orni in AP mode. Suspect the Orbi does intercept the Nighthawk App discovery and/or the App communication with the managed device.

@AbhayB another nightmare to be investigated and addressed.

Message 2 of 10
migsta
Apprentice

So what does this mean as not being able to access your router remotely over a mobile device is not really acceptable.  Is there a fix coming to this app?  

Message 3 of 10
schumaku
Guru

What do I know - I'm not Netgear. Not sure the problem is the App _or_ a transparency problem of the Orbi in AP mode.

Message 4 of 10

@migsta wrote:

Then, I disable the WiFi/radios on teh XR500 and put the Orbi online in AP mode but doing the WiFi now. 

Is there any reason why you have disabled the wifi on the XR500?

I have an Orbi in AP mode attached to an R7800. (That was the hardware used when Netgear beta tested the XR500's firmware.) I can access the R7800 regardless of the status of the wifi on the R7800.

But I am not familiar with the iOS, so can't comment on that bit.

@migsta wrote:

The subject says R7800 but it's the XR500 that I am using.  Could not pick it from the Hardware list.

That's probably because you picked the wrong section for your query. You posted your message in the section of this community given over to Nighthawk WiFi Routers. (This is easily done, given Netgear's impenetrable community structure.) Your device is a Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router.

You might get better replies, and find other answers, over in the appropriate section:

Nighthawk Pro Gaming Routers - NETGEAR Communities

Message 5 of 10

@migsta wrote:

Is there a fix coming to this app?  

Here at least, it isn't broke.

Have you tried remote access through the Nighthawk app? Is the XR500 even set up for remote access?

The Nighthawk app won't work if you are on the Orbi's wifi network – it offers to connect with the Orbi app – but use remote access and the Android Nighthawk app will let you into the router.

If that doesn't work for you, one thing you could try is to reboot the network in the right order, modem, router and APs.

Message 6 of 10
migsta
Apprentice

Don’t I have to disable the WiFi on the XR500? If not, the Orbi and XR500 would be interfering with each other. Obviously, I would have WiFi 1 for the Orbi and WiFi 2 for the XR500 as an example for SSID’s. Even then, what would be the purpose of WiFi 2 from the XR500 if Orbi should be the main WiFi. Don’t want to have my devices hopping from WiFi 1 to WiFi 2 and vice versa.
Message 7 of 10

@migsta wrote:
Don’t I have to disable the WiFi on the XR500? If not, the Orbi and XR500 would be interfering with each other.

I haven't disabled the router's wifi. Router and Orbi have different SSIDs and run on different channels.

@migsta wrote:
Don’t want to have my devices hopping from WiFi 1 to WiFi 2 and vice versa.

That is down to your wifi clients, not the wifi sources. In my experience, wifi clients aren't that promiscuous. Once they find a strong signal they stick with it.

I have a messy Orbi array, with three satellites, one sitting within feet of the R7800. (The Orbi AP is about 15 feet away on a Powerline network.) Never seen any sign of conflict. That's pone of the delights of the Orbi. It seems to be much more intelligent in its wifi networking.

Message 8 of 10
JoseAndres041
Luminary

I have a suggestion and maybe you could try this one.

1. Enable XR500's WiFi

2. Connect your smartphone to XR500's network

3. Open NH app and enable remote management

4. Once remote management is enabled, disable your XR500's WiFi

5. Connect your smartphone to your Orbi's WiFi

6. Open NH app and select Connect With Remote Management

7. Connect to your XR500

8. Check if you could now manage your XR500

Message 9 of 10

@JoseAndres041 wrote:

I have a suggestion and maybe you could try this one.

1. Enable XR500's WiFi

2. Connect your smartphone to XR500's network

3. Open NH app and enable remote management

4. Once remote management is enabled, disable your XR500's WiFi

5. Connect your smartphone to your Orbi's WiFi

6. Open NH app and select Connect With Remote Management

7. Connect to your XR500

8. Check if you could now manage your XR500

Good thinking.

That is effectively how I have things set up with the R7800 (essentially the same hardware as the XR500).

But I am using the Android version of the Nighthawk app. There have been problems with iOS apps.

It may also be worth pointing out that the Android version of the Netgear genie can manage both R7800 and Orbi through Remote Management. Better still, the genie offers much more control over these devices. The Nighthawk app doesn't control much, even when you can connect it.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7