Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk App Router Setup Loop

noraiko
Tutor

Nighthawk App Router Setup Loop

Hello! I have my Nighthawk X4 AC2350 upstairs, which is connected to an ATT BGW210 router downstairs in attempts to boost the signal upstairs. The Nighthawk router wifi currently has the same name/password as the ATT router downstairs. I've had trouble configuring the nighthawk via routerlogin.net (routerlogin won't produce a login screen, instead telling me that "You may not be connected to your Router’s WiFi network."), so I downloaded the Nighthawk mobile app on the Google Play Store. I have a Samsung S9 and running Nighthawk ver 2.4.12.876.

I've been able to set-up the router on the mobile app, but during the last step of the process, I get an error message saying "Something went wrong. Please try again", which then won't go away until I close the app. Upon reopening the app, it says that the router has not been set up, and wants to start the process over again.

This problem also happens after choosing a different name for the wifi.

Model: R7500v2|Nighthawk X4 AC2350 Smart WiFi
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
noraiko
Tutor

@plemans @michaelkenward 

Thank you so much for your responses! I did a bit more research since I was still having issues turning on the AP mode on the router per your suggestions, and I stumbled upon this: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7500v2-firmware-1-0-3-40-not-functioning-as... It seemed to help with my issue, as I now have full wifi bars, and all of the illuminated lights are white. 

TLDR Had to reset the router yet again, and revert the firmware version 1.0.3.38 before turning on the router's AP mode.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

The problem is that you're running both routers in router mode. Its causing a double nat.

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

You either need to place the att device in modem only mode or you need to switch the netgear router to AP mode. this will fix a lot of your conflicts. 

to access/managed the netgear router, unhook it from the att device. then try to go through the setup. This will let you manage and switch it to AP mode. Once switched, hook it backup to the Att device. 

Message 2 of 6

@plemans wrote:

The problem is that you're running both routers in router mode. Its causing a double nat.

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

You either need to place the att device in modem only mode or you need to switch the netgear router to AP mode. this will fix a lot of your conflicts. 

Spot on there, but here is the bad news:

Solved: How can I put BGW210 gateway on bridge mode? - AT&T Community

from

at&t bgw210 bridge mode - Google Search

Message 3 of 6
noraiko
Tutor

@plemans thank you for your response! 

I attempted to set the router into AP mode, but I'm not sure if I've successfully done so. I reset the Nighthawk router, and was able to access routerlogin.com. However, after setting the router to "AP mode" there was a failure message. I didn't clearly see what it was, and I haven't been able to get the router to let me back onto routerlogin.com to try again (even after trying to reset it again). When I tried setting it to AP mode, I had the router plugged into the wall plug that's been giving the ATT router a connection.

Now when I plug the Nighthawk to the ATT router, the internet light is orange. Is this normal for a router in AP mode? Attached is a picture of the router and its illuminated lights. I'm in the same room as the router, and I've only got 3/4 bars as opposed to all four of the bars being on while I had the double NAT going.

Thank you so much again for your response and time!

Message 4 of 6
noraiko
Tutor

@plemans @michaelkenward 

Thank you so much for your responses! I did a bit more research since I was still having issues turning on the AP mode on the router per your suggestions, and I stumbled upon this: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7500v2-firmware-1-0-3-40-not-functioning-as... It seemed to help with my issue, as I now have full wifi bars, and all of the illuminated lights are white. 

TLDR Had to reset the router yet again, and revert the firmware version 1.0.3.38 before turning on the router's AP mode.

Message 5 of 6

@noraiko wrote:

I attempted to set the router into AP mode, but I'm not sure if I've successfully done so. I reset the Nighthawk router, and was able to access routerlogin.com. However, after setting the router to "AP mode" there was a failure message. I didn't clearly see what it was, and I haven't been able to get the router to let me back onto routerlogin.com to try again (even after trying to reset it again). When I tried setting it to AP mode, I had the router plugged into the wall plug that's been giving the ATT router a connection.

This is probably a consequence of the fact that you succeeded in getting it into AP mode. That removes various options, including anything that usually relies on the thing to interpret IP addresses.

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

In AP mode, you can get into the controls by tracking down the IP address of your AP router – a network map in the desktop genie or mobile app – and aiming the browser at that.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7