Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk App V2.9.6.0 on iOS v14.6 and three Nighthawk Access Points

Dugby
Aspirant

Nighthawk App V2.9.6.0 on iOS v14.6 and three Nighthawk Access Points

I am using the Nighthawk App V2.9.6.0 on iOS v14.6 for 6 months and have some questions.

I currently use the latest model FRITZ!Box(latest firmware) as my VDSL2 internet device, attached is a Netgear JGS516v2 gigabit switch.

Hanging off the switch are three Nighthawk Access Points ( two Netgear XR700(FW 1.0.1.38)  and one XR500(FW2.3.2.114) )

All three Access Points are runing standard DUMAOS firmware, I am not running any Beta DUMAOS.

I had to apply unique Device Names within each XR700 configuration so that the Nighthawk App could resolve them.

eg the first XR700 is named "XR700TV" and the second is named "XR700HiFi"

On the App, from the main Main Screen, I select the top left "Home" icon and the App shows that my App is connected to one of my XR700 Access Points with a GREEN dot and the words "Connected Locally", however it didnt display whether it was "XR700TV or XR700HiFi"

When I click on the device, the App presents the "Your Products" page showing my three Access Points, and only identifies them with generic device names of XR700, XR500, XR700. Interestingly onthis page the Access Point that the APP is connected to now has a RED dot.

Is this App working as designed, or is there a defect in the App in not presenting the actual device names and colour status?

Thankyou

Dugby in Oz

Message 1 of 4

Re: Nighthawk App V2.9.6.0 on iOS v14.6 and three Nighthawk Access Points

@Dugby wrote:

Hanging off the switch are three Nighthawk Access Points ( two Netgear XR700(FW 1.0.1.38)  and one XR500(FW2.3.2.114) )

Those are all gaming routers. I assume that they are in wireless access point mode.

Of course, that disables a lot of their features.

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

But that is for mainstream routers, not those that run DumaOS. That has its own firmware and Duma support people.

You might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your hardware, in the appropriate section for your devices.

Nighthawk Pro Gaming Routers - NETGEAR Communities

I realise that your question is about the App, but I still think that the Duma folks will be better able to help, and I doubt if they hang around here much.

Message 2 of 4
Dugby
Aspirant

Thank you for your response.

My apologies for insufficient background details. I have worked in enterprise TCP/IP networks, corporate routers, Firewalls, managed switches and network management.

I selected the XR700's not for their gaming features, but for their underlying CPU , RAM and 6x GB ports technologies (most importantly Annapurna and Qualcomm). My residence requires the  distributed WIFI capabilities of five access points (I am fully aware of the 1-6-11 channels separation for 2.4GHZ as well as the 36-40-44-48 etc unique channels for 5GHz. My network is sufficiently tuned to accomodate these limitations.

I quite like the features of the Nighthawk App, and if I can resolve the previously reported issues I encountered with the App, it will help make the app a bit more useful in more extensive installations.

I am already a member of the Netduma/DUMAOS community, but believe the issues I reported here pertaini to Netgear's Nighthawk App.

Just fishing for any Nighthawk App developers thoughts on what I have observed.

Message 3 of 4

@Dugby  wrote:

I am already a member of the Netduma/DUMAOS community, but believe the issues I reported here pertaini to Netgear's Nighthawk App.

Very true, but there is a close link between a router's firmware and what the Nighthawk app does. So there is no single place to check these things.

The app's "respect" of things like labels and names in the "devices" zone is a case in point. Things that work well on my R7800 do not play nicely on, for example, on some cable modem/routers.

And let's not get started on the differences between the iOS and Android apps.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7