Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk App Wifi Router Setup

Spacebulb
Tutor

Nighthawk App Wifi Router Setup

Hi All - since i can't contact Netgear directly I'm appealing to those brains in this community, thanks in advance!

I've really struggled since I bought my RAX 40 Nighthawk- the main issue is that if i have to restart the router for any reason, when it resets fully, none of my devices connect fully, and the router thinks it's not setup correctly. I go through the setup using the Nighthawk App using an Android based phone. everything goes well unitl i finally reach the finally setup and finalize button and when i push that i get a message "something went wrong" over and over and over again, and can never fully finish setting up the router - sometimes the wifi works sometimes not and i have to do all the steps again and usually on the secong go the wifi works normally, even though i can never fully complete the setup using the app - it always hangs on the last step and says "something went wrong". Doesn't say what - or how to fix it - and i'd really like to get it done, so when i have to power things down for whatever reason i don't have to resetup the router each time.  See attached screen shot.

I've of course already done reset, factory reset and tried over and over. the router firmware is up to date, the phone is up to date - so if anybody has a fix i'll try anything otherwise i'll just have to buy another router and move away from Netgear.

Thanks in advance!

Screenshot_20220504_165907_com.netgear.netgearup.jpg

Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Have you tried setting it up through the browser and not on the phone? 

Message 2 of 8
Spacebulb
Tutor

Thanks so much for the suggestion,

I went into the router login on the hardwired PC, and it shows it's all up and working - i wasn't sure how i can set it up there - if you have a walk through link on that i would much appreciate it!

Still do think the app should work - otherwise what's the use?

thanks again for the quick reply !!

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

@Spacebulb wrote:

Thanks so much for the suggestion,

I went into the router login on the hardwired PC, and it shows it's all up and working - i wasn't sure how i can set it up there - if you have a walk through link on that i would much appreciate it!----if you're able to log into it and navigate around the interface, it sounds like you've set it up. 

Still do think the app should work - otherwise what's the use?---it is the point of an app. But I haven't been very impressed with the app of late. Quite a few people reporting issues with it. One of the few reasons I prefer using the browser. Plus it has more settings/options. 

thanks again for the quick reply !!

Message 4 of 8
Spacebulb
Tutor

Thanks again,

yeah it seems like it's setup, but when the router restarts, even though in the router setting it all seems fine, the WIFI signal or something about the configuration isn't correct, the wifi doesn't work correctly, for example i will connect but every site will come back with an error that my connection isn't secure, red struck through https and until i set up again as if it's never been used, so not sure what that all means, and i don't know how to set up any differently using the wired PC - 

appreciate the help!

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

what modem/gateway is it connected to?

Message 6 of 8
Spacebulb
Tutor

I'm in Vienna, Austria so it's using a Magenta Modem/Wifi Router with the wifi turned off - not sure what the details are of the specific modem are - but could find out if i know what specs you'd like to know more about

Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

Turning off the wifi doesn't disable the routing features and it puts you in a double nat. 

A double nat happens when you cascade more than 1 router.
https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Fixes? There’s 3 options but only use 1.
1. Put the modem/gateway in modem only/pass through mode. This disables its routing functions.
2. Leave the modem/gateway in router mode but put the Netgears IP address into its DMZ. This forwards the data to the netgear. You can either leave the modem/gateway’s wireless enabled or disabled. Just make sure its using a different wifi channel to prevent interference
3. Put the Netgear into access point mode. This disables its routing functions. Wifi/ethernet still works but it does disable some features.
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-NETGEAR-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-M...

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7