Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk App, almost everything is unknown.

PeteMiller
Aspirant

Nighthawk App, almost everything is unknown.

I'm using Nighthawk App v 2.4.10.11 on iOS 13.2.3.  Recently updated firmware on the router.  The extender is brand new.  I configured it to automatically update firmware, so it should also be up to date.

Been using the router for a while and had some devices occasionally dropping off of it or falling from 5 to 2.4.  I've just added the EX8000 extender to improve connectivity around the house.  I logged into the App to do some experimenting about where different devices would attach to either the router or the extender and check what connection strengths and rates they were getting.  Looking at the Device Manager screen, when I open any device it says "This %@ is connected via %@."  Further, every connection type is "Unknown".  

Is this App always so uninformative, or do I perhaps have something configured wrong?  Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Pete Miller

Message 1 of 8
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @PeteMiller, welcome to the community! I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Dexter

Message 2 of 8
TrippleRye
Aspirant

I’m having the same issue, was there a fix for this?
Message 3 of 8
PeteMiller
Aspirant

Nothing yet, but I'll update the thread if I get a solution.

Message 4 of 8
jcole66
Aspirant

I also have a similar issue.  Just upgarded to the AC2600 R7400 (latest firmware 1.2.0.62_1.0.1) and have noticed this issue.  My prior (slower) Nighthawk Router did not have this issue.

I've noticed when going into Device Manager with this Router/Firmware that the categories of device types is much more limited than my prior R7000 Router.  WIth the R7400 there are maybe 15 limited categories to choose from VS the R7000 which probaby had twice as many categories.

Not that the categories truly matter with this R7400 Router since you can go thru and completely setup and categorize every device from the Unknown Status to something close to what it actually is only to have the category get reset to Unknown as soon as you go back into that section.

Whats up with this Netgear?  These discrepancies between models (and firmware) just dont make sense!

Anyone else seeing smiliar results?

Message 5 of 8
TexasHawk
Aspirant

Since updating firmware, the Nighthawk app is having the same problem.  Doesn't recognize as many devices and, even for the devices it does recognize, lists most of them as unknown (not 2.4 or 5.0).  Solution?

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 6 of 8

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

Message 7 of 8
TexasHawk
Aspirant

I'm having the same exact issue.  After updating the firmware for the router, nearly all devices now show up as Unknown Connection Type (not 2.4 or 5).  This morning, I reset the router to factory settings and then reconnected all four Nighthawk extenders fresh.  I then deleted and reinstalled the Nighthawk app.  Result: NO CHANGE WHATSOEVER!!!!

Netgear: you really need to fix this and stop giving your customers the runaround.  It's not us, it's you!

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7