Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk App cannot find Installed router

Hope8
Aspirant

Nighthawk App cannot find Installed router

Linksys E1000 to the Nighthawk AC1750/R6700v3 using the Netgear Nighthawk App. Install and connection to the WiFi network name & password provided was successful. But when I returned to the app for the next step, it couldn’t find the router. I double checked that the connection hadn’t been dropped and retried numerous times with no success. So I started over powering down, making sure the cables were properly plugged in, launched the app, connected to the WiFi network and returned to the app with no success. I did this from my iPhone and iPad with the same results, too many times to recall. I even read through the manual on troubleshooting, but everything has been done correctly. I’m totally stumped and need help. I really don’t want to fall back to my old router. Any ideas?
Message 1 of 4

Re: Nighthawk App cannot find Installed router

@Hope8 wrote:
Linksys E1000 to the Nighthawk AC1750/R6700v3

Does that mean that youi have two routers in line?

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks for example – it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

It may be possible to put the modem/router into modem only (bridge) mode and then to use the second device as the router. But some Internet service providers, such as BT in the UK, supply modem/routers that won't work in bridge mode. There may be ways to get the modem/router to cooperate, but sometimes it is easier to put the second router into AP mode. But that has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 2 of 4
Hope8
Aspirant

No, I disconnected the old router before installing the new Nighthawk. I only have one router. Thanks any way. I have an appointment on Monday with Netgear technical support. I’m hopeful they can help.
Message 3 of 4
Hope8
Aspirant

No, I only have one router. Netgear has not been able to duplicate the problem. They will try again next week, but I’m not holding my breath.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series