Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk App continuously times out when logging on to C7000v2 Modem Router

OmoOmo
Guide

Nighthawk App continuously times out when logging on to C7000v2 Modem Router

Hello, today I installed a C7000v2 (AC1900) modem-router on Cox, no problems.  However, when trying to logon to the modem via a T-Mobile OnePlus 6T (Android 10), current Nighthawk App version 2.4.25.961 continuously "times out", no matter which fix I try.  The specific error is, "Logon timed out, please try again. If this issue persists, try rebooting your device."  I have tried 1) rebooting the phone, 2) uninstalling/reinstalling the Nighthawk App, and 3) rebooting the modem.  I rebooted the modem by accessing the modem's settings through my Chrome browser, and am able to logon with no problem.  I do have Internet, both 2.4GHz and 5GHz are working, and both can connect with the phone and my desktop computer.  Also, I am certain I am using the correct modem logon credentials.  Any ideas?  Thanks in advance and stay healthy.

Model: C7000-1AZNAS|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Nighthawk App continuously times out when logging on to C7000v2 Modem Router

Hi John,

Thanks for the update. Your ISP, Cox, in this case should be providing you with the firmware update should there be one available for the C7000v2. I have linked an article that provides the latest firmware versions for our cable modems/modem routers. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000036375/What-s-the-latest-firmware-version-of-my-NETGEAR-cable-modem-or-mod...

Christian 

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 14

All Replies
SIRRICHARD22
Aspirant

I am having the exact same problem, exact same day. Very frustrating.
Model: C7000-1AZNAS|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 2 of 14
OmoOmo
Guide

Agreed, very frustrating.  Your reply and what I've already experienced leads me to believe the Nighthawk App is at fault.  Again, I am able to access the C7000v2's settings via the online Genie, by using 192.168.0.1.  For that reason, maybe I don't even need the Nighthawk App.  However, iit would be great to have it work at least once to see if its features are beneficial.  I hope someone from NETGEAR can forward these concerns to the Nighthawk App developers (besides what's been said in the Google Play Store).

Message 3 of 14
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello OmoOmo & SIRRICHARD22, 

May you try downloading the Nighthawk app on a different device and letting me know if thee issue persists. 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 4 of 14
OmoOmo
Guide

Hello, Christian, thank you for replying.  I tried with the only other device I have, an old HTC One (M7) with Android 5.0.2.  Same thing happens--it "times out."  It was also a bit difficult to connect; the Nighthawk App doesn't seem to realize my modem-router is already on (plugged in).  It waits and waits and waits; but the C7000v2 is already on.  So, I end up having to "teach" the app manually, what kind of modem-router I have.  However, even once it "learns" which modem-router I have installed, it fails to connect because it "times out."  I'm sorry; but I do not have another device to test Nighthawk with.  Bottom line...with either Android 10 (OnePlus 6T) or Android 5.0.2 (HTC One M7), I'm still not able to connect to the C7000v2 with the Nighthawk App.  Thanks again.  

PS. I need to add, I can not UPgrade the HTC One to a NEWER version of Android, nor can I DOWNgrade the OnePlus 6T to an OLDER version of Android.  Thanks again.

Message 5 of 14
SIRRICHARD22
Aspirant

Yes, tried that the first hour of having it
Message 6 of 14
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello OmoOmo & SIRRICHARD22, 

Thanks for getting back. Please send me a private message with your contact info as I'd like for our support team to look further into this.

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 7 of 14
OmoOmo
Guide

Customer Service Representative (CSR) called, and we spent the better part of an hour on the phone; but weren't able to resolve the issue.  The Nighthawk App still could not be used by my OnePlus 6T (Android 10) smartphone.  The CSR was polite and professional; many thanks.  However, I determined that I am able to access the Modem-Router settings through the online NETGEAR Genie.  That is fine; however, I still don't know what additional benefits the smartphone Nighthawk App provides.  So, for now, I'll have to rely on the online NETGEAR Genie.  If the Nighthawk App Developers can find a "fix" to the issue, I would appreciate it if they could post an update to the Google Play Store version of the Nighthawk App.  Also--the CSR noted that my C7000v2's firmware is Version V1.02.14.  He told me a newer version is available, and thought that maybe the "Engineers" could push the newer version to my modem-router.  That has not yet happened.  Since I purchased the modem-router direct from NETGEAR, can that newer firmware be pushed to my device?  Or, does NETGEAR need to communicate with Cox Communications, to have THEM push the newer firmware?  Any further help you can give in that regard would be most appreciated.  Thank you!

Message 8 of 14
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi John,

Thanks for the update. Your ISP, Cox, in this case should be providing you with the firmware update should there be one available for the C7000v2. I have linked an article that provides the latest firmware versions for our cable modems/modem routers. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000036375/What-s-the-latest-firmware-version-of-my-NETGEAR-cable-modem-or-mod...

Christian 

Message 9 of 14
OmoOmo
Guide

Hello Christian, thanks.  That is an interesting chart; because it shows Cox's "approved version" is LOWER (v1.02.12) than NETGEAR provided with the C7000v2 (v1.02.14)!  Could that explain why the Nighthawk App doesn't work with my C7000v2?  And, if yes, how can I revert to v1.02.12?  Would that even be advisable?  Or, should I just stay with v1.02.14??  I'm soooo confused lol Smiley Frustrated  Thank you!

PS  Christian, I'm chatting with a Cox Internet rep right now, and will let you know what they say before I do anything else.  Thanks!

Message 10 of 14
OmoOmo
Guide

Hi Christian, here is a "PSS" (sorry about that).

After chatting with the Cox Internet rep, I was advised to just keep using Version v1.02.14, even though it's not the "Cox-certified" Version shown in your chart.  It doesn't seem to be causing any issues...other than the modem-router's inability to use the Nighthawk App.  Again, hopefully, the Nighthawk App Developers will "figure things out" and eventually post a version of the App in the Google Play Store which will work with the C7000v2 (with v1.02.14) firmware.  Thanks so much for all your help!  Stay healthy!!

Message 11 of 14
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi John, 

Thanks for the update! Please feel free to reach out if you have any further questions. Stay healthy and take care! 

Christian 

Message 12 of 14
mbmdeuce
Initiate

You are not alone. I too have Cox and currently having the same issues
Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 13 of 14
OmoOmo
Guide

To whom it may concern, for info...  A few days after trying to troubleshoot this issue, I was then told by a NETGEAR rep that the Nighthawk App IS NOT COMPATIBLE with the C7000v2 AC1900 modem-router.  Repeat--the Nighthawk App IS NOT COMPATIBLE with the C7000v2.  Disappointing...but hey, I guess that's that!  Smiley Sad  After learning that, I made a suggestion that NETGEAR delete the C7000v2 from the list on this web page:  https://kb.netgear.com/000055505/Which-products-support-the-NETGEAR-Nighthawk-app .  (However, right now, I see that hasn't been done yet--the C7000v2 is still listed.  I reckon these kinds of web page edits do take some time.)

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7