Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk App does not identify iPhone/iPad devices when Private WiFi is on

cdsnyder
Follower

Nighthawk App does not identify iPhone/iPad devices when Private WiFi is on

Recently, I upgraded my home network (new Netgear Router and WiFi AP).  Netgear includes an app “Nighthawk” that allows me to monitor my home network.  I noticed that all of my devices are real easy to find except our two iPhones and iPad.  I noticed for these 3 devices the MAC address on the Nighthawk app are different than the Wi-Fi Address (MAC) in “Settings”.  As it turns out this is because the Private Wi-Fi Address is turned on in each of my networks (e.g., 2.4GHz, 5 GHz, and Guest).  When I turn Private Wi-Fi to the “OFF” position then I see the real MAC ID which does map to what the Nighthawk App shows.  When I turn it on I get a strange name on the Nighthawk app (e.g. DEV-89:34:FA instead of iPad Cris).  I now know how to find out which device is which by temporarily turning off the Private Wi-Fi setting but I got to thinking is this Private Wi-Fi Address a good thing that should always be on?  My questions include:

1. If Private Wi-Fi (PWF) is the solution, what is the problem?
  2. Is PWF location specify – a best practice when you are in Public but has minimal value when at home (as one example)?
  3. Are there any other downsides to always keeping it on other than not being able to see the device when using network management software (e.g. performance hit).
  4. Are there any upsides to always keeping it on (protects against security vulnerabilities)?
  5. Any thoughts on how I can still see the descriptive name of the device on Nighthawk app when PWF is on?
Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Private mac/ip address is good in concept but more useful when you're in public or on someone else's network. 

On your own network, its more of headache than a benefit and not really that beneficial. 

Message 2 of 3

@plemans wrote:

On your own network, its more of headache than a benefit and not really that beneficial. 

Oh so true. But private wifi has become a fashionable "innovation". Samsung also uses it on newer devices. It is now offered in Windows.

Use random hardware addresses in Windows 11 - Search (bing.com)

Netgear needs to find a better way of accommodating users who suddenly ht this brick wall. It should be up to a user here to provide the best guidance.

NETGEAR Mobile Applications and Apple Devices FAQ - NETGEAR Communities

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7