Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk App (formerly up)

mslinker
Initiate

Nighthawk App (formerly up)

Does anyone know if the Nighthawk App can support multiple routers in different locations?  Thanks

Message 1 of 11
schumaku
Guru

Have just one Nighthawk App compatible router at hand.

The Remote Management view on the App does say "Updating device list" every time this section is accessed, and it seems to refresh the list of "Connect Remotely", and maintains the current online status of the device. So best guess ... I would assume it can support multiple Nighthawk routers, once added to the App while being on each local (W)LAN. 

My guess is that even multiple local Nighthawk routers (ie. in AP mode) would be reachable via the "Connect Remotely" once connected. 

Let's hope we get some other user or an official confirmation for this.

Message 2 of 11
schumaku
Guru

A potential limitation is in place for Alexa/Google Assistant - How do I fix the "I found multiple routers linked to your account, this feature is not supported" er... - appears for now only one router can be registered to the Genie cloud (again my assumption Genie cloud == Nighthawk App cloud) to make use of these...

Message 3 of 11
schumaku
Guru

@michaelkenward do you have multiple Nighthawk at hand for a try?

Message 4 of 11
mslinker
Initiate

Yes but 1600 miles apart. So i wont be able to test until later this fall. I will update the posting with my experience but it will be in a few months I suspect. Thank you.
Message 5 of 11

@schumaku wrote:

@michaelkenward do you have multiple Nighthawk at hand for a try?

I have both an R7800 and an Rú000P registered, but I have not tried using them at the same time.

Message 6 of 11
schumaku
Guru

Michael, Just bring up the second router using the first router LAN for the Internet connection. Perfectly sufficient for a test.
Message 7 of 11

@mslinker wrote:
Yes but 1600 miles apart.

Isn't that what remote access is for?

Enable that and you can also get at the distant router in the usual way. At the same time you can get at the local router. You can even use remote access to get at both routers from afar.

Message 8 of 11
schumaku
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

@mslinker wrote:

Yes Michael, to link a Nighthawk router to the Nighthawk/Genie cloud to gain Nighthawk App (and Genie App) remote access you have to be local with the router, on the same (W)LAN. 

Message 9 of 11

@schumaku wrote:

@michaelkenward wrote:

@mslinker wrote:

Yes Michael, to link a Nighthawk router to the Nighthawk/Genie cloud to gain Nighthawk App (and Genie App) remote access you have to be local with the router, on the same (W)LAN. 

Indeed. Is that supposed to add something to this conversation? Or are you just repeating what I said so that @mslinker gets the message?

Message 10 of 11
schumaku
Guru

Of course, backing what is already explained. Just wanted to avoid to cause confusion about remote access which unfortunately (but more securely) can't be used to link the router to the cloud.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7