Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk App (iOS) Useless - Cannot Access Settings on R7000

ZoeMacUser
Aspirant

Nighthawk App (iOS) Useless - Cannot Access Settings on R7000

The new Nighthawk App on iOS appears, to me, to be useless.  It launches, it sees and connects to my router, but then no matter what I try to do next I get stuck with the whirling circles of endless wait.

For example, the app opens, connects, and I see the menu choices and tap WiFi Settings.  I can see the WiFi settings in the "background," and they're all correct, but all that happens then is two little circles spinning inside one another on the screen.  I've given it up to five minutes, and then killed the app.  No matter what I choose inside the app, same thing.  Whirling circles.

Sometimes when I reopen the app it can no longer connect to the router at all, as if the first attempt did something to the router itself.  I have to then reboot the router manually for the app to even see it, even though it's functioning (all my devices have internet access).

Anyone else having this problem?  Is there something wrong with the app or with my router?

Firmware is up to date as of yesterday, but maybe there's an issue with the latest firmware?

Attaching a short video showing the main menu and then what happens when I try to go to WiFi settings.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 10
ZoeMacUser
Aspirant

Video would not upload.

Message 2 of 10
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @ZoeMacUser, welcome to the community! Please try re-installing the app and check if the issue will persist. Also, doe the issue occur when using another device (another iOS or Android)? Please indicate the exact firmware version of the router.

Dexter

Message 3 of 10
ZoeMacUser
Aspirant

Copy.  Reinstalling the app just now made no difference in the behavior.  Everything is exactly the same.

Firmware Version
V1.0.9.64_10.2.64

Message 4 of 10
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi, thanks for responding. I've sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Dexter

Message 5 of 10
Arbor34
Aspirant

Hello,

I'm having a nearly identical issue with the app (iOS) with the R7800.  It's new, and I went through the set up (giving temporary names and passwords to everything just to get through the process thinking I could change them later) and immediately got caught in the endless cycle of waiting for it to communicate, with the added complication of the router disconnecting from the internet.  It locked up during the firmware check so I have no idea if that worked.

I deleted the app, rebooted everything, immediately had internet access.  Thinking everything sorted out I downloaded the app again, tried to connect - right back into endless cycling and the internet connection dropped.  Did this a few more times changing the order, etc - end result I'm online and everything is great as long as I don't open the app.  The second the app detects the router the router drops internet and then the app goes into the endless little circle swirling.

Right now I have no way of communicating with the router to change any settings or monitor it or anything.  Technically it's working.  I have internet access.  I suppose the silver lining is I didn't pick too silly of a temporary SSID during set up?

Help? Suggestions?  If I can't get the app to work is there really anything I can do?

Message 6 of 10
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Arbor34, welcome to the community! Please make sure that the router is on the latest firmware version. This link may help out in checking for it and updating it. Have you tried resetting the router?

Dexter

Message 7 of 10
Arbor34
Aspirant

Thank you for the response.  I did check the firmware version (thanks for the reminder link) and it's all up to date.  I ended up buying a new modem.  The modem from my ISP wasn't great and once a new one was in place I was able to get the router to step through the update [edit: I meant registration not update] process without the app locking up.  End result - we are online, and have more control and I have limited use of the app.  It (the app) still behaves as if I haven't registered the router and I have to dimiss the request to setup but other wise it works, sort of.  Basically I can see the devices and that it's online.  Beyond that it goes into endless cycling.  This is much better than before where just opening the app crashed the router, so, yay progress!  At this point I'm just going to use the admin login on my computer if I want to do anything fancy and pretend the app doesn't exsist.  🙂  Thanks for your help!

Message 8 of 10
Microbot
Aspirant

I'm trying to access advanced settings on my R7000 through the Nighthawk app (ver. 2.32.1.14  firmware version: v1.0.11.100).  I want to be able to block and unblock attached devices but it only shows what is connected under device manager, no way to change anything.  This app is worthless unless you can remotely change router settings.  Is it even possible?

Message 9 of 10

@Microbot wrote:

I'm trying to access advanced settings on my R7000 through the Nighthawk app (ver. 2.32.1.14  firmware version: v1.0.11.100).  I want to be able to block and unblock attached devices but it only shows what is connected under device manager, no way to change anything. 

How are you going about this?

The app does not allow access to the Advanced Settings that are there in a web browser and the graphical user interface (GUI). All it can show is the Device Manager list where you can "Allow Access".

But that depends on whether you are using local connection or Anywhere Access.

Which are you on?

Firmware version for the R7000 v1.0.11.100 is ancient, dates back to 2020.

A lot may have changed since then:

R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.11.136 - NETGEAR Support

I can't speak for the IoS app but the Android version is ahead of 2.32.1.14 .

Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7