Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk App keeps saying the extender setup isn't complete

ChrisM1972
Follower

Nighthawk App keeps saying the extender setup isn't complete

Hi ... my extender is up and running having been factory reset by me due to connection issues. I reinstalled the app in order to undertake the setup but now when I go into the app it keeps saying the extender is not set up and tries to take me through the set up process again ... it wants to join NETGEAR_EXT but of course that doesn't exist as the router is up and running under the normal network name for my home.

Any ideas?!

Thanks!

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 13
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello ChrisM1972, 

May you provide a screenshot for us to better assist. I would recommend power cycling both the router and extender. 

Christian 

Message 2 of 13
Cswassing
Aspirant

I am having the same issue!!! And this discussion board won’t let me post a picture!!!
Message 3 of 13
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Cswassing, 

May you reinstall the Nighthawk app if you're on iOS. We recently pushed a Nighthawk app update for iOS. 

Christian 

Message 4 of 13
TSHECKEL
Initiate

I'm running into the same issue. I dropped the Nighthawk app from my iphone and reinstalled but the loop of "Extender Not Set Up" keeps appearing. I cannot connect to NETGEAR_EXT as the router is up and running already. 

Message 5 of 13
BadgerBadger
Initiate

Hi, has this issue been resolved? I am having the same issue with the Nighthawk IOS app. My extender has been set up successfully yet the app continues to display "Extender Not Set Up". I have closed, and reinstalled the app multiple times with no success. Please can you assist. @ChrisM1972 @TSHECKEL @Christian_R @Cswassing 

Model: EX6250|AC1750-WIFI MESH EXTENDER
Message 6 of 13
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi BadgerBadger,

If you recently purchased the device I would recommend contacting our support team as newly purchased devices are provided with 90 days of complimentary support. You may open a ticket by registering your device using the link below. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Christian 

Message 7 of 13
TSHECKEL
Initiate

I believe the issue stems from the the mobile app and not the extender / router. 

Message 8 of 13
Asword11
Aspirant

Has there been a fix to this issue? Just did the start of the setup on my phone, kept telling me to connect to my router. It was connected, app kept telling me to try again try again. Finally said to heck with it and factory reset it and did it on my laptop. Worked great! I then decided to see what this fancy app was all about (fancy cause it says Nighthawk lol) the app is now telling me the setup isnt complete. It is trying to connect to NETGEAR_EXT....which is now Private_5GEXT and Private_2GEXT???? I just want to use some of the cool features mentioned about this app. 

Any help would be great thanks!

Model: EX6100|AC750 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 9 of 13
billysdomain
Aspirant

Any news on this issue? having the same problem with the EAX80 just arrived, setup and is working but the app wont connect as it says setup has not been done.

Message 10 of 13
MD07
Aspirant

1 year later from this first issue regarding the app error, and still the same error is occurring for me also. I just purchased the wifi mesh extender, successfully set it up and works perfectly. The app however is terrible and constantly tells me the extender is not set up, however it is and I’m seeing an awesome improvement on my connection all over my house.

When is Netgear/Nighthawk going to fix the iOS app issue with the extender not set up issue?

It’s a shame as now I cannot use the app and all the features on it.
Model: EX6250|AC1750-WIFI MESH EXTENDER
Message 11 of 13
HoosierITguy
Tutor

Also have the same issue. Purchased an extender and the setup went through fine in the app, then toward the end of setup it was trying to verify that my phone was connected to the wifi but after several minutes failed.... strangely my phone IS connected to that wifi and I verified the extender is working properly.. but the app doesn't recognize that the extender is actually working/setup already. I have no idea how this stuff passes QC at Netgear lol. Might as well just ditch the app guys, it sucks.

Message 12 of 13
MD07
Aspirant

Agree! Sorry to hear you're having the same issues... I factory reset my extender and somehow it worked after a second attempt setup with the app. Hold the factory rest button-down with a pin, until it flashes 5 times. Then release and open up your wifi settings on your mobile phone and connect it directly to the extender when it appears. 

From there, you can open the app again on your phone and attempt the setup again. This worked for me! It also did a firmware update when I did this. Strange how this didn't occur on my first attempt, but I'm happy it finally is working after the factory reset.

Hope this helps for you and others on this channel.

Cheers!

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7