Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk App on Iphone & Genie on Desktop no longer identify devices connected to R7000

RonFL
Guide

Nighthawk App on Iphone & Genie on Desktop no longer identify devices connected to R7000

I received a flag in the Nighthawk app to do a firmware update, so I did (V1.0.9.88) and it killed my internet speed. I successfully rolled back/downgraded the firmware to V1.0.9.42 which other posts suggested was the last decent firmware by consensus, and then did a factory reset. That seems to have mostly resolved my speed issue from the firmware update, but now both the Nighthawk app on my iPhone and the Genie app on my desktop PC no longer identify the connected devices to my R7000 router other than by "Unknown" or generic icon and question mark. It used to identify every device by the device name on the device itself (I never manually named any device in the apps). I know that seems trivial, but it was handy to know who and what is connected to my network and I used that feature to allow/disallow access to my router. Any suggestions would be appreciated …… Ron
Message 1 of 5
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Nighthawk App on Iphone & Genie on Desktop no longer identify devices connected to R7000

Hi RonFL, 

May you try performing a factory reset on the router to see if the issue persists. 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 2 of 5
RonFL
Guide

I already did a factory reset due to the firmware "upgrade" killing my download and upload speeds and I had to do a downgrade of my firmware.  Doing the factory reset after the firmware downgrade resolved the speed issue, but the apps no longer identify the devices connected to the router.  Any other suggestions greatly appreciated .....

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 3 of 5
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Nighthawk App on Iphone & Genie on Desktop no longer identify devices connected to R7000

RonFL, 

You may need to reinstall the Nighthawk app. May you check to see if you're able to see your devices connected to the router using the web GUI. 

Thanks,
Christian 

Message 4 of 5
RonFL
Guide

I tried that, without success.  The desktop Genie app has the same issue and neither show the device info.  deleting and reinstalling the apps was useless.  The irony is that the apps worked great with the newest firmware update, but the firmware update killed my internet speed, to the point that I had to rollback and downgrade the firmware to get my internet speed back.  I've read in other threads that firmware version 1.0.9.42 is considered to be the last decent firmware version, which is what I downgrade to and got my speed back.  If there is a newer firmware version that won't kill my internet speed again and will resolve the apps not being able to identify devices that are connected, I'd like to hear abou it.  Any other suggestions appreciated .....

Ron

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7