Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk App with Multiple Routers

BigTy
Guide

Nighthawk App with Multiple Routers

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows how to use the Nighthawk app with multiple Netgear Routers. I have an R700 (as of today) and a R6700v2 that I've been using. The issue is:

1. The Nighthawk app hasn't worked since iOS 14

2. I've been forced to use Connect Anywhere to see what's going on with my router. 

However, anytime I use connect anywhere, it goes straight to the 6700. I can never get connected to the 7000. Can you view both routers with the app? If not, how do I switch to have is show the 7000?

Thanks in advance!

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 1 of 4
schumaku
Guru

@BigTy wrote:

1. The Nighthawk app hasn't worked since iOS 14

2. I've been forced to use Connect Anywhere to see what's going on with my router. 

No, the wonderful new local network security privilege introduced with iOS 14 does block the access.

https://kb.netgear.com/000062316/Why-am-I-being-asked-to-let-the-Nighthawk-or-Orbi-apps-connect-to-d...

You might have to update to the current App version(s) first.

Apple is considering local network access more risky than accessing any cloud systems - that's what Connect Anywhere does. And some people are hyping Apple for this invention 8-/

@BigTy wrote:

However, anytime I use connect anywhere, it goes straight to the 6700. I can never get connected to the 7000. Can you view both routers with the app? If not, how do I switch to have is show the 7000?

AFAIK it does detect the direct connected one on the local network (local WLAN).

Top left there is a tiny "Cloud" icon. Tap on it and find the current router connected using Anywhere Access. Click on the item again, and you get the "Your Products" list - here you can choose the other router(s) linked to Connect Anywhere.

Message 2 of 4
BigTy
Guide

I never knew that about getting to my products. HOWEVER, it doesn't show my other router. So, the app doesn't work directly, my product aren't showing, and they opened a support ticket for this! (To which I still haven't heard anything back on it)

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Multiple routers at the same site is a recipe for a nightmare anyway.

@BigTy wrote:

So, the app doesn't work directly,

Have the new iOS 14 LAN privilege enabled for the Nightawk App? AFAIK the iOS App was updated to request the LAN access on iOS 14. Don't blame Netgear for the silly Apple design stopping existing Apps LAN access, reqiring an App update, and requiring manual user actions to access your own LAN...  

@BigTy wrote:

my product aren't showing,

The Nightawk App was never intended to show a list of routers on the same network, it's not a discovery App for many Netgear routers on the same network. 

The mobile device must be connected or associated direct to the device to be managed (e.g. over WiFi) so it can be detected - this is typically the one and only router on a LAN. From here you can enable the Remote Management (now named Anywhere Access) on that device. Then you have to connect your mobile to the next Nightawk device, and repeat. Once having configured one or multiple Nighthawk devices suported by the App, you can find all the devices configued from the "Home" (top left here on Android, probably same location on the iOS App). From here you can connect each device configured for Anywhere Access - via the cloud (and not direct on the LAN becuase of possible multi-NAT and other limitations).

Not sure what assistance you expect from Netgear's support. They won't change neither the App design nor Apple's iOS14 "inventions" for the generation tin hat. 

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7