Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk App

GMKing
Tutor

Nighthawk App

When I purchased this router (to upgrade my old Netgear7 - 10 years old) I was not aware that I would have to download an app in order to use it.  I understand what it can do after the fact, minding my routers' business and giving me the insight to set limits, etc., but I don't need any of that.  My husband and I are older, we have no gamers in the house.  All I wanted was the ability to use 2 kindles at a time, watch movies from Amazon without a competition for who will keep thier wifi and who will have it drop every few minutes.  I keep my smartphone on wifi when home to save data useage, and also have my pc and printer hooked to it.  Do I have to use the Nighthawk app to set up these devices?  I don't like the fact that although there is not much to see, this app will most likely follow my daily activities, thus shipping me lots of unwanted emails and or suggestions on facebook, etc.  I am somewhat annoyed that this information was not specifically stated as part of the description on Amazon.  I would not have purchased it even though I wanted to go out of my way to get another Netgear product.  I was talking with someone when I first went into the app information online and they dropped me when I asked just what the app did specifically after full installation of all my products. It makes me suspicious.  Any thoughts or information that could help me with this?  My last router was so easy, just turn it on and connect all my devises.  Thank you! 

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
GMKing
Tutor

Re: Nighthawk App

Answering my own question, you don't need the Nighthawk app.  I connected my phone first to my new wifi router, and it automatically picked up Neatgear Genie and I was able to set it up correctly in just a few minutes.  Then I went through my home, and set everything else up as well.  It concerns me that the Nighthawk Website "Help Desk (live)" was not helpful in anyway and refused to answer my questions about the app and just what it would collect for information.  I even had to install some fixes and other updates before I actually was connected the first time and the Netgear Genie took care of it all, with no issues and no crashes.  

I really like NetGear as a product and I am glad that I was able to circumvent that Nighthawk App.  Very sketchy.  

GKing

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
GMKing
Tutor

Answering my own question, you don't need the Nighthawk app.  I connected my phone first to my new wifi router, and it automatically picked up Neatgear Genie and I was able to set it up correctly in just a few minutes.  Then I went through my home, and set everything else up as well.  It concerns me that the Nighthawk Website "Help Desk (live)" was not helpful in anyway and refused to answer my questions about the app and just what it would collect for information.  I even had to install some fixes and other updates before I actually was connected the first time and the Netgear Genie took care of it all, with no issues and no crashes.  

I really like NetGear as a product and I am glad that I was able to circumvent that Nighthawk App.  Very sketchy.  

GKing

Message 2 of 3

@GMKing wrote:

Netgear's insistence that we all go down the "simplest" route with mobile apps is frustrating. Experienced users prefer the browser graphical user interface (GUI).

Worse,  firmware updates are steadily moving devices off the Netgear App on to the Nighthawk version. And that removes some features.

There is one thing that you may not have come across, the desktop genie app for your system, Windows or Mac.

If you want the desktop genie for Windows start here:

genie Landing Page | Apps | Discover | Home | NETGEAR

You may have to kick aside the obtrusive pop up that pushes the Nighthawk app.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7