Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk App

tedco
Aspirant

Nighthawk App

Having just purchased a AC2600 Nighthawk X4S VDSL/ADSL Modem Router Model D7800, the installation routine mention to download app for remotely access the router.
I downloaded and installed just to find that the "wifi router not supported", and "this app does not support your router model".
A bit surprised as the link was part of the installation routine for the D7800.
Any other app's that can be used with this router to remotely control ?
Thanks for your help and support

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions

Re: Nighthawk App

@tedco wrote:

I can't help thinking that you are not very impressed with NetGear 🙂

Not at all, you should read what other people say. I just have a realistic expectation of what Netgear does.

@tedco wrote:

As I also have a couple of Arlo Pro 3, I thought NetGear would be the best, as both product are from the same company.

Nope. Arlo and Netgear parted company a couple of years ago.

@tedco wrote:

Besides, my ISP did support the D7800 router, but none of TP Links products.

Well done. Usually suggest that people check compatibility with their ISP.

For DSL, I also like to recommend separate modems and routers. Unfortunately, Netear and other brands seem to have abandoned the modem only market, possibly because ISPs like to detect people from buying their own stuff.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies

@tedco wrote:

Having just purchased a AC2600 Nighthawk X4S VDSL/ADSL Modem Router Model D7800, the installation routine mention to download app for remotely access the router.
I downloaded and installed just to find that the "wifi router not supported", and "this app does not support your router model".

What did you read that told you to "download app for remotely access the route"? The manual?

Netgear strikes again. Hopeless lack of communication.

As you will see from this, it is the Genie App that supports the D7800

Which products support the NETGEAR Nighthawk app? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

The Nighthawk app requires new firmware. Netgear hasn't thought to update it for your modem/router.

Which NETGEAR home router models can I manage using the NETGEAR genie app? | Answer | NETGEAR Suppor...

That's actually good news, because the Nighthawk app is a dumbed down version that wipes out some useful features.

You don't say which device you have, iOS or Android, so it is down to you to find the Netgear Genie.

Message 2 of 6
tedco
Aspirant

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your reply - at the end of configuring the router, there was a link, but of course I can't find it now.

I am using a AC2600 Nighthawk X4S VDSL/ADSL Modem Router Model D7800 with Windows 10 Home.

I will be using the Genie App as you mentioned, although NetGear does not support this any more.

Thank you again

Message 3 of 6

@tedco wrote:

I will be using the Genie App as you mentioned, although NetGear does not support this any more.

Netgear has never provided much in the way of "support" for its apps. It just lobs them out into the wild and leaves users to get on with it.

When it comes to the desktop genie, there are rare updates, although that too is essentially abandonware.

Message 4 of 6
tedco
Aspirant

Hi Michael,

Thank you,

When researching for a replacemenet router for my aging TG789v2, I was torn between TP Link and Netgear.

As I also have a couple of Arlo Pro 3, I thought NetGear would be the best, as both product are from the same company.

Kind Regards

Message 5 of 6

@tedco wrote:

Not at all, you should read what other people say. I just have a realistic expectation of what Netgear does.

@tedco wrote:

Nope. Arlo and Netgear parted company a couple of years ago.

@tedco wrote:

Well done. Usually suggest that people check compatibility with their ISP.

For DSL, I also like to recommend separate modems and routers. Unfortunately, Netear and other brands seem to have abandoned the modem only market, possibly because ISPs like to detect people from buying their own stuff.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7