Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk IOS app can't perform R7800 firmware update

chrisspurgeon
Aspirant

Nighthawk IOS app can't perform R7800 firmware update

I have a Nighthawk R7800 and have no problems accessing it via the IOS Nighthawk app. I can do things like load the Device Manager to see the devices currently connected to my network, and see my current WiFi settings. But the firmware update functionality never works. I bring up the Router Settings in the app, and click the "Check For Updates" button. The app then loads a screen saying it's Checking for New Firmware, but after about 20 sec or so a "Firmware Check Error" page appears in the app, with the message "There was a problem checking firmware update".

Any idea what's going on? I believe I have the current version of both the Nighthawk app and the IOS operating system.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 6

Re: Nighthawk IOS app can't perform R7800 firmware update

@chrisspurgeon wrote:

Any idea what's going on? I believe I have the current version of both the Nighthawk app and the IOS operating system.

Not really, just a word of warning, where possible avoid firmware upgrades over wifi.

They even warn against this in the release notes:

R7800 Firmware Version 1.0.2.62 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Note: To avoid wireless disconnect issues during the firmware download process, NETGEAR recommends that the firmware upgrade be performed on a computer with a wired connection.

If you don't have wired access, then you could try the browser on your mobile device.

By the way the "Check For Updates" button isn't always reliable either. It can miss updates that are available on the support pages for the device.

There is support for the R7800, including a manual and firmware, somewhere at the end of this link:

>>> R7800 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

Message 2 of 6
chrisspurgeon
Aspirant

Huh, interesting. Thanks!

I guess the obvious question now is...if Netgear says firmware updates via WiFi and the app are unreliable, WTF do they offer that feature?

Message 3 of 6

Some people like to live dangerously.

It works most of the time. It is probably there because the lawyers demanded it.

Message 4 of 6
chrisspurgeon
Aspirant

Heh.

Message 5 of 6
schumaku
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

Some people like to live dangerously.

The firmware would be loaded over the typically wired Internet connection to the router - its download won't loop over the mobile device. So not a problem at all. 

PS. I'm almost always - for years - working from my notebook on a wireless connection for all my consulting and remote administration and audit work. Figure. Can't be that bad.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7