Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk R6900P iOS app uses what protocol to connect to the router

Batman-15
Tutor

Nighthawk R6900P iOS app uses what protocol to connect to the router

Good Morning:

Here is my question: What protocol does the Netgear iOS iphone app use to connect to the router? IE: HTTPS, TCP, UDP, etc?

Thanks - Batman

Model: R6900|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

I fear that the lack of answers suggests that no one understands the question. I certainly don't.

Maybe if you said why are you asking someone might be able to help.

Message 2 of 5
Batman-15
Tutor

The answer is self-explanatory. On the iPhone when you tap on the nighthawk app what protocol does it use to communicate with the router. HTTPS, UDP, TCP/IP.I am looking to find out if the communication is secure or not secure. Another way to put it is it an encrypted.
Thanks in advance!
Model: R6900P|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Not very difficult to figure out - plain text HTTP SOAP - .2 is the mobile, .254 is a Netgear R9000:

Netgear App SOAP Communication.JPG
This applies even to Nighthawk routers supporting https - while the https://routerlogin.net/ is encryted and the certificate is trusted all firmware at least of a similar generation) does come with the very same certificate - and private key. 

Now, for most deployments - leaving e.g. Orbi with a wired backhaul out of scope - the mobile device App does connect direct over the already encryped WPA2 link (or WPA3) unless the admin has configured something silly with the router. So what's the fuzz here - it's just consumer junk anyway?

On a broader IT security view, it's more essential how the encryption is done, how the keys are exchaned, how the keys are generated, ...

PS: For somebody keen to know it won't be difficult to figure out discoving the same insight - not much criminal energy required.

Message 4 of 5
Batman-15
Tutor

Thank you for your response! It is exactly what I needed.
Model: R6900|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7