Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk X8 R8500 app compatibility

B_Regal78
Aspirant

Nighthawk X8 R8500 app compatibility

I recently installed the Nighthawk App on my iPhone. In the app store, it shows the app dashboard to have a number of different capabilities (e.g. device manager, network map, speed test, parental controls, wifi settings, security, etc.); however, after I installed the app, I only see the following 4 options on the dashboard: device manager, speed test, wifi settings, and support. I cannot swipe to scroll for more features. I do understand every router might not support every function the app offers, but how do I know I am seeing the correct information? For my router, this app seems limited.

As a follow up question, when selecting the device manager, everything appears to be offline; however, l can see the correct list of online items by logging directly into the router from a PC.

To answer a few questions, yes, the router was restarted and yes, the router has the latest firmware. Yes, I enabled remote management in the app. I am not very computer savy, but I did a fair amount of research trying to answer these questions and I only found the app is limited by my hardware / firmware installed.

One more thing to note: my router is actually running as a access point. My modem has a wireless router built in, but due to its location and where the cable enters my house(e.g. the basement), I needed an access point to access the internet wirelessly throughout the house.

Below is the specific information regarding my router and the app:

Netgear Nightwawk R8500
    R8500 Firmware Version: V1.0.2.130
    Nighthawk App Version 2.4.15.27
    Remote management is ON

Any help that can be provided is greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 5
B_Regal78
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk X8 R8500 app compatibility

To add a little more information:

I can access these from the app description on my router using a computer.  For example, the app description has a security function and even though I can not access that from the app that resides on my phone, I can access that function through a computer.

I did re-download the app to ensure it was installed correctly; however, I still only have the same four functions on the dashboard as previously listed: device manager, speed test, wifi settings, and support.  How would I access something like security from the app and/or why is this function not on the app dashboard?

Message 2 of 5

@B_Regal78 wrote:

One more thing to note: my router is actually running as a access point. My modem has a wireless router built in, but due to its location and where the cable enters my house(e.g. the basement), I needed an access point to access the internet wirelessly throughout the house.

AP mode disables various features, including Remote Management. It has to be a router for that to work.

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

This could explain the missing features in the Nighthawk app.

This explains some of the other drawbacks that you get with two routers.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 3 of 5
B_Regal78
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.  I shut off "access point" mode and gained two additional options: Guest WiFi and Traffic Meter to go along with the original 4 options of device manager, speed test, wifi settings, and support.  Still not what I was hoping for.  I'll assume the Guest Wifi option was the result of the phone being connected to the guest LAN.

I am specifically looking to see who is connected to the router.  All of the devices that would connect to the router in my house are named.  With that, I want an option to remotely disconnect a given device (kid control).  Is there a method in which that can be accomplished?

Message 4 of 5
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @B_Regal78, on the device list, you have the option to toggle the pause/unpause options for the attached device.

Dexter

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7