Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk android app: Device manager shows &lt and weird device types after Mac Mini is in the lan

tarzanek
Aspirant

Nighthawk android app: Device manager shows &lt and weird device types after Mac Mini is in the lan

Hello
in Nighthawk android app in device manager device list

all looks nice only until a Mac Mini appears in the LAN. Once it is in, app device manager is not able to download data properly from router. Note that router sees all devices as they should be (along with my edits for icons, names, etc.).

After the mac is started, most of records in the android app just look like :  &lt , Tablet

So whatever is discovered and written to device list about that mac is poisoning the list.
How can I help troubleshooting this? (obviously this is a sanity check missing in android app, if your sources are online I can check and send a patch).
If I can extract the record from netgear telnet terminal, let me know how and I can send the record over for you to verify with parser in app side.

any hints/guidance appreciated
L

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Nighthawk android app: Device manager shows &lt and weird device types after Mac Mini is in

@tarzanek what (potentially crazy) device or hostname is configured on the Mac Mini in question?

Already the routers don't properly sanity check host names provided as part of the DHCP process or configured manually. Then it can happen that a data overflow will kill the comparable "dumb" protocol implemented between the router and the App. Reported far to many times - Netgear resp. thier ODM does not care - @Christian_R you know my many reports on this subject. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Nighthawk android app: Device manager shows &lt and weird device types after Mac Mini is in t...

Hello tarzanek, 

Welcome to the community! May you let us know what firmware version is on along with the Nighthawk app version.

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 2 of 6
tarzanek
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk android app: Device manager shows &lt and weird device types after Mac Mini is in

Hello latest greatest
V1.0.2.68
(which has also some quirks which broke my guest network, but that's a different topic)

--

L

Message 3 of 6
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi tarzanek, 

May you try reinstalling the app to see if there are any improvements? Also, if you could provide a screenshot of the issue that would be great. 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 4 of 6
schumaku
Guru

@tarzanek what (potentially crazy) device or hostname is configured on the Mac Mini in question?

Already the routers don't properly sanity check host names provided as part of the DHCP process or configured manually. Then it can happen that a data overflow will kill the comparable "dumb" protocol implemented between the router and the App. Reported far to many times - Netgear resp. thier ODM does not care - @Christian_R you know my many reports on this subject. 

Message 5 of 6
tarzanek
Aspirant

the hostname is according to RFC (4 letters from a-z), so it's not crazy at all

so it's all about a protocol, which basically with such flows means only one thing to me, that it's not worth it and it's better to disable it and back to manual dhcp static record or guest pool, instead of real time access approval

oh well, maybe later

fwiw under such conditions I guess the screenshots make no sense

so Netgear - xing the fingers and I hope you'll get it all done so your idea will eventually work OK (and safely)
L

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7