Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk app Speedtest Connection Error

PinkerPayNikon
Aspirant

Nighthawk app Speedtest Connection Error

My Nighthawk app on iphone was fine until I did a factory reset (with the lastest firmware) but when I try the Speedtest option, it cuts off before it tests my upload speed with "Connection Error/Reboot router" Did that and it still doesn't work right. Speed tests by Ookla on Mac is fine and Internet is fine at home.

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 1 of 10
schumaku
Guru

Router model, firmware version? 

Message 2 of 10
PinkerPayNikon
Aspirant

Firmware v. 1.0.9.64 thanks
Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 3 of 10
schumaku
Guru

Run the Speedtest from the router Web UI again instead "remote" from the App. Same problem?

Message 4 of 10
PinkerPayNikon
Aspirant

Yes it works fine on my Macs UI, I guess it's just an app bug? 

41.59Mbps  3.39Mbps
Message 5 of 10
schumaku
Guru

@PinkerPayNikon wrote:

Yes it works fine on my Macs UI, I guess it's just an app bug? 

One more for the almost open end list ... probably more one more API inconsitency (works OK e.g. with the R9000 here) @BretD  @Christian_R please.  

Message 6 of 10
Dave_in_NJ
Aspirant

I'm getting the exact same behavior. The download portion of the test completes, and then the app throws an error: "Connection Failed -- If the problem persists, try rebooting your router." My last completed test was 11/13/2018, but I'm not sure exactly when the error started. I've been keeping everything as up-to-date as I can. My setup:

• R7000 router, firmware V1.0.9.64_10.2.64
  • Nighthawk app version 2.3.5.20 (it failed on earlier versions too)
  • iPhone 6S, iOS 12.2

Regarding the comment above, "Run the Speedtest from the router Web UI again...", I don't see a way to run the test from the R7000's web interface. Am I missing something?

Message 7 of 10
schumaku
Guru

@Dave_in_NJ wrote:

Regarding the comment above, "Run the Speedtest from the router Web UI again...", I don't see a way to run the test from the R7000's web interface. Am I missing something?

It's in the QoS settings ... you might have to temporarily enable Dynamic QoS ... 

===
6. Specify the maximum uplink bandwidth for your Internet connection:
• Let Speedtest detect my Internet bandwidth. We recommend that you use
Speedtest to detect your Internet bandwidth.
To use Speedtest, do the following:
a. For more accurate Speedtest results, make sure that no other devices are
accessing the Internet.
b. Select the Let Speedtest detect my Internet bandwidth radio button.
c. Click the Speedtest button.
Speedtest determines your Internet bandwidth.

===

Don't forget to disable Dynamic QoS again if you have a high-speed Internet service.

FMI: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R7000/R7000_UM.pdf, p.46, Optimize Internet Traffic With Dynamic QoS  - Enable Dynamic QoS

Message 8 of 10
Dave_in_NJ
Aspirant

Many thanks, schumaku! it turns out I don't have to actually enable dynamic QoS to run Speedtest. I do have to go through the motions of enabling it to make Speedtest show up in the menu, but I don't have to apply the config changes. It's awkward that I have to take such counterintuitive steps to access what I view as a valuable feature; it makes a lot of sense to run a speed test at the router, especially since I don't normally have a computer hardwired to it. The test works fine, and produces the same result the app-based test would have, if it still worked properly. Smiley Sad

Message 9 of 10
schumaku
Guru

@Dave_in_NJ wrote:

Many thanks, schumaku! it turns out I don't have to actually enable dynamic QoS to run Speedtest. I do have to go through the motions of enabling it to make Speedtest show up in the menu, but I don't have to apply the config changes. It's awkward that I have to take such counterintuitive steps to access what I view as a valuable feature; it makes a lot of sense to run a speed test at the router, especially since I don't normally have a computer hardwired to it.

Sorry for the confusion - newer Nighthawk router Web UI incarnations offer the spedtest visible and workable, regardless of the current QoS config status.

But that makes one the Nighthawk App "killer" feature - a (router based) Internet Speed Test at a fingertip. It's all about marketing 8-) Complete interoperability, a 100% working feature with all supported router models and current firmware is optional @Christian_R ....

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7