Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk app does not log into my Netgear Nighthawk R7000 router

Joekidd
Aspirant

Nighthawk app does not log into my Netgear Nighthawk R7000 router

The issue started when I upgraded my phone to an Iphone 13 Max Pro, latest IOS. My Netgear Nighthawk R7000 firmware is current and up to date. My Nighthawk app is the latest release. I am able to login to my router using 192.168.1.1 and everything is working fine. I recently subscribed to Netgear Armor and the only way to enable the security feature on the router is through the app. Previously, when trying to install the app I would get login timed out, or router is off line. I then did a factory reset on the router and did a fresh install. It would go through the process, find the router, say cables are connected, but time out and say no internet connection. Where I then did the advanced install and provided, the ip address, subnet mask, DNS, etc. etc.. Same results. And before you suggest it I checked that the app was set to local network and turned off the Phones VPN setting. Same result. Finally I just logged back onto the router over the web and set the router back up. Everything is working as before, the router just says that Armor is not enabled! Firmware really needs to allow folks to toggle this on and just forget/ignore the app.
Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk app does not log into my Netgear Nighthawk R7000 router

Message 2 of 9
Joekidd
Aspirant

Yep forgot to mention it but did do it!
Message 3 of 9
Joekidd
Aspirant

Saw the second post when researching the problem so both were a bust
Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What version of FW is currently loaded? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

If you reset the router and setup from scratch using the NH app, did you also power OFF the modem for 1 minute and back on as well? 

Might go ahead and submit a bug report too:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-App/How-to-report-a-bug-on-the-Nighthawk-App/td-p/2134684...

Message 5 of 9
Joekidd
Aspirant

As I said in my post the FW is the current release. V1.0.11.136_10.2.120. Internet provider is xfinity, modem is a motorola model MB8600. And yes I cycled both the modem and router during the install. Turning off the router first, then the modem, waited 1 minute, turned on the modem and waited for it to finish connecting, then turned on the router, and connected my phone to the Netgear14 ssid.
Message 6 of 9

@Joekidd wrote:
As I said in my post the FW is the current release. V1.0.11.136_10.2.120.

Read the first message again. No FW version listed there. Claims of "current and up to date" are meaningless for many reasons.

The good news is that the modem should not be getting in the way.

Sadly, recent versions of the mobile apps have had problems. First one (Android) and then the other (iOS) .

One trick that sometimes works – for no apparent reason – is to uninstall and reinstall the app on your mobile device.

You might also like to see if there is anything useful in the section given over to Armor:

NETGEAR Armor - NETGEAR Communities

Message 7 of 9
Joekidd
Aspirant

As suggested I have uninstalled and re-installed the app multiple times. No luck on that front. So yes I have filed a bug report. I apologize for any perceived snark about the current version. It was more through my frustration atm. When I say current, I always make sure that the version available for download, is the version that is installed. Right now I have set the process aside and will wait for either a new app or new firmware from Netgear, before trying again.
Message 8 of 9

@Joekidd wrote:
When I say current, I always make sure that the version available for download, is the version that is installed.

That works most of the time, but you might be surprised by how many "the latest" reports we see here that are no such thing. Sometimes by a large margin.

It depends on how you check. If you use one of the apps, or even the on-board check in the browser graphical user interface (GUI), it can get out of synch with the real world.

Then there are "hotfix" updates that have yet to migrate from the support library onto the update server, which is usually a day or two behind the library. That gives Netgear a bit of time to watch for reports of issues from the experienced users who keep an eye on the library.

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7