Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk app is becoming increasingly useless

asiegbucp
Tutor

Nighthawk app is becoming increasingly useless

NetGear X6S. Tri-Band WiFi Router with MU-MIMO. Model: R8000P

I used the latest update of nighthawk app to run update on my router but unfortunately the app always says no new update found. See attached picture. According to Netgear website update exists for the router but the nighthawk app being so useless as usual cannot find the update. This is a bad business for Netgear.
Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

What version of the firmware are you on?

I'd also highly recommend against updating via the app. Ever.

reason why is thats usually where we see the most issues from corrupt firmware. 

I'd highly recommend doing it over a hardwired connection to the router via pc/laptop. this tends to have the highest/best results. 

Message 2 of 4
schumaku
Guru

@asiegbucp wrote:

I used the latest update of nighthawk app to run update on my router but unfortunately the app always says no new update found.

Check the local router web interface on routerlogin.com/.net - it will tell you the same. So not a Nightawk App thing ...

@asiegbucp wrote:

According to Netgear website update exists for the router but the nighthawk app being so useless as usual cannot find the update.

Complete standard business process - live update feeds will be always propagated with a delay, depending on the feedback, support case caused, and other KPIs.

@plemans wrote:

I'd highly recommend doing it over a hardwired connection to the router via pc/laptop. this tends to have the highest/best results. 

The App does just trigger the update, the router will download the image direct over the (typically wired) Internet connection. 8-)

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

@schumaku I usually prefer the manual method. 

I realize the app just triggers the router to do the update. But I think I still see more issues with corrupt firmware when triggered by the app. Not sure if its being an increased usage of the app, if its coincidence, or even just me predisposed to not liking to use the app 🙂 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7