Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk app login failure

BroadRun
Guide

Nighthawk app login failure

The Nighthawk app on my iPhone iOS 16 opens with a login page. It does not accept my password. Remember Me is turned on. Router is RAXE300. No trouble logging in with routerlogin.net. I turned on Armor earlier in the day using the Nighthawk app. Later in the day Nighthawk app started showing the login page and would not take my password. Note that the password used successfully with routerlogin.net does not work with the Nighthawk app. The Nighthawk app updated on my iPhone a couple of times over the last several days.

Message 1 of 11

@BroadRun wrote:

The Nighthawk app on my iPhone iOS 16 opens with a login page.

Is the iPhone set to use WiFi Private IP address and a random Mac address?

NETGEAR Mobile Applications and Apple Devices FAQ - NETGEAR Communities

Message 2 of 11
BroadRun
Guide

I don't know about random MAC addresses. I thought they were hardwired in, I can't see your message so I can't be more specific without closing this window and starting over. However, that other thing is also unknown to me. My guess is that the answer to your two questions is no. The Nighthawk app version is 2.23.0.67. I also installed Bitdefender before the Nighthawk app started failing. I noticed today the legend "VPN" popup before the "LTE" legend while I was out of WiFi range.

Message 3 of 11
bstanton
Tutor

I have the same issue. Not sure what the problem is. Think it's the app and it needs to be updated. You would think they would have a technician reviewing these post or routinely monitoring a "network system" for network errors. 

Message 4 of 11

@BroadRun wrote:

I don't know about random MAC addresses. I thought they were hardwired in

See the link I provided.

NETGEAR Mobile Applications and Apple Devices FAQ - NETGEAR Communities

However, that other thing is also unknown to me.

Not sure what that refers to. The link covers the issues.

Message 5 of 11
BroadRun
Guide

Here is a list of my devices:

Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi Access Point for Amazon (EX7000 (Amazon))
ProSAFE 5 Port Gigabit Switch (GS105v5)
Nighthawk AXE7800 Tri-band RAXE300 WiFi 6E Router (RAXE300)
Nighthawk 2.5Gbps Cable Modem with Voice (CM2050V)
AX1800 4-Stream WiFi Mesh Extender (EAX20)

I turned off the iPhone features indicated in the trouble shooting reply. Nothing changed. The Nighthawk app does not accept my password. I used the TRS buttons on the router and AC1900 to connect them together. Then used the web interface on the 

AC1900 to set it up and register it. All this stuff is working so I have little interest in getting the Nighthawk app working again. I found a "solution" in another discussion topic. The solution is to reset everything back to factory and start over. I am not going to do that. To much trouble for little benefit. There is no indication that I won't have to do this again.

Message 6 of 11
BroadRun
Guide

Nighthawk app is still not working on my iOS devices. It does work on my Samsung A7 Android. On iOS the opening screen shows the app trying to connect to my router. At the bottom of this window is the legend, "Trouble connecting? Try a new system setup." After a period of time the app switches to a login window. The same login I use on the Samsung and to login to the router via the web interface does not work on iOS. 

I followed the link noted in one of the replies to the original post. I found and turned off the indicated iOS security setting. That changed nothing. iOS warned that turning off that setting was dangerous. I turned it back on. 

I am not going to "Try a new system setup." There is nothing wrong with my current system setup. It is the iOS Nighthawk app that is the issue. Everything, including Armor, is working great. I installed a new mesh extender successfully using the TRS buttons and web interface. I did not need Nighthawk.

I tried the "bug report" proceedure where ykou shake the iPhone to cause a bug report window to open. Nothing happens. So no bug report.

I've tried the chat on the Netgear web site. Since Nighthawk is not a "product" or "subcription" I could not get anything into chat. The robot could not parse my questions or statements. At one point I saw that I was the next person in line so I waited and waited and ... 

So how do I get attention to this Nighthawk bug?

Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Turn off all items accept the modem and RAXE router. Then try this with the NH app on the iphone with WiFi private IP address disabled and factory reset the RAXE router:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-App/Nighthawk-app-not-connecting-but-Wi-Fi-works-gt-Try-T...

@BroadRun wrote:

The Nighthawk app on my iPhone iOS 16 opens with a login page. It does not accept my password. Remember Me is turned on. Router is RAXE300. No trouble logging in with routerlogin.net. I turned on Armor earlier in the day using the Nighthawk app. Later in the day Nighthawk app started showing the login page and would not take my password. Note that the password used successfully with routerlogin.net does not work with the Nighthawk app. The Nighthawk app updated on my iPhone a couple of times over the last several days.

Message 8 of 11
BroadRun
Guide

Nighthawk app still does not work on my iOS devicesl It works on an Android Samsung A7. The only advice I've seen is to reset everything to factory and reinstall. Everything is working. How often do I have to do this just to keep the Nighthawk app working?

Message 9 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Hopefully not again. Submit a bug report next time it happens.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-App/How-to-report-a-bug-on-the-Nighthawk-App/td-p/2134684...

Be sure to keep MAC ADDRESS randomizer disabled while at home:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-App/NETGEAR-Mobile-Applications-and-Apple-Devices-FAQ/td-...

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 10 of 11
BroadRun
Guide

I did a bug report on the iPad and iPhone Nighthawk app not working. I haven't had a response. The Nighthawk app still does not work on my iPhone or iPad. It does work on my Samsung A7. I turned off the random MAC ids. deleted every device marked as not connected. It took several weeks until the two iPhones and the iPad showed up in the Nighthawk device list. BUT, they are marked as not connected! Not connected while I am actively using them on the network where they are "not connected." The IP addresses and Mac numbers reported by Nighthawk and the devices match. The Sumsung A7 is noted as connected by Nighthawk. That may be the reason Nighthawk works on the Samsung. iPhone 11 iOS 16.6. iPad Air iOS 16.6. I have Armor and Bitdefender running. Everything works great. Except Nighthawk on my iPhone and iPad.

Another issue: I have several streaming devices. They do not appear in the Nighthawk device list. Armor apparently scans them as I get the occasional popup on my iPad that they have been scanned and no problems to report. Since deleting everything that was not "connected," a device labeled N/A has popped up with a MAC and IP that I can't find. I've checked and noted the MAC and IP on every connected device so I can recognize them in Nighthawk. One exception is the Walmart ONN that won't display its MAC, but the ONN's IP does not match N/A's IP.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7