Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk app not remembering names on my R6400 router

Scg
Guide
Guide

Nighthawk app not remembering names on my R6400 router

I am using the Nighthawk app on my phone to manage my R6400 router. Firmware is up to date. I am having a problem where some device names are not remembered when I enter them. Other devices are identified even without me putting in a name. But some just show up as a generic "unknown". Sometimes when I enter a name it saves for a day or even weeks, but eventually the names disappear and it reverts back to "unknown". I then have to go to individual devices and look at the IP address in order to rename them. Very frustrating.

The desktop computer and Samsung device listed on the attached photo are names that I did not even write. They were automatically populated. Most devices automatically populate to the name "unknown."

You see I have a Chromebook identified. I'm sure at least one of the other unknowns is another Chromebook that I once identified but now it's gone. I know for sure another device is a TV that I named just last night, and it's already gone.
Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14
plemans
Guru

What firmware are you on? 

Have you tried changing them through the browser and not through the app? 

Message 2 of 14
Scg
Guide
Guide

I am on firmware version V 1.0.1 .52.

According to my app, no further firmware upgrades are required. And no I haven't tried anything through the browser.
Message 3 of 14
plemans
Guru

try through the browser. it wouldn't be the first time something didn't work properly through the app

Message 4 of 14
Scg
Guide
Guide

Ever since you asked the question I've been trying to figure out how to do it through the browser but I can't figure it out. I can only seem to access it through the app.
Message 5 of 14
plemans
Guru

the manual walks you through it. 

get it here:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R6400.aspx

Message 6 of 14
Scg
Guide
Guide

Thank you. I was able to do it on a browser. It's been about 24 hours now and the names are all still there. Nothing has been lost. So hopefully that solved the problem. Thank you
Message 7 of 14
Scg
Guide
Guide

Here we are a few days later and those names are no longer there. They have all reverted back to unknown
Message 8 of 14
plemans
Guru

try downgrading the firmware a version. for some reason, it seems like random firmware upgrades break the naming convention. I've found it frequently with orbi

Message 9 of 14
Scg
Guide
Guide

So sorry I'm not quite sure I understand. Try to do a firmware upgrade again? I just recently did one a couple months ago when I switched over from netgenie to Nighthawk.
Message 10 of 14
plemans
Guru

Not an upgrade but a downgrade. 

you can go to netgear.com/support/

type in your model number. Then click downloads.  the older firmware is under +view previous versions

That's where you can get the older firmware. Try downgrading a version, factory reset, and then manually re-install. Sometimes the newer firmware breaks things when they add other fixes. 

Message 11 of 14
Scg
Guide
Guide

I tried that but still no one luck. I had the same problem with the genie app also. I have searched around and it looks like others have experienced the problem as well, but I never could figure out the resolution. Maybe they never got theres resolved either. Any other suggestions?

Do you think it matters if a device is completely turned off so that the router doesn't see it anymore, and then you turn the device back on a day or two later? I know in at least some of the circumstances that's what happened to some of my devices. My kids have Chromebooks for school and when they go to school the Chromebooks are out of my network for a while and then when they come back sometimes the names are not recognized. Sometimes they are however. It seems very hit-or-miss.
Message 12 of 14
Scg
Guide
Guide

Message 13 of 14
Scg
Guide
Guide

I'm still battling this issue and it is so frustrating! In addition to all my other devices, I have six Chromebooks. Those six devices are the ones whose names always disappear. My desktop PC is recognized okay as are the cell phones, the printers, and other devices. The Chromebooks seem to be the culprit. Juggling six different ones I constantly have to check IP addresses on each one to know which one is which. I use my router as a parental control to give access and take access away. I can't do it efficiently when I have to take the Chromebook and find the IP address every time for six different units.
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7