Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk app password

Gw42
Aspirant

Nighthawk app password

Nighthawk app has different password constraints than the netgear website. So my router, extender etc etc all use strong passwords that can't be entered into the app. I think mostly because someone decided to not allow a "-" dash. Seriously does anyone know how to tell netgear? I can't figure out how to contact them without paying
Message 1 of 12
schumaku
Guru

Talking of the 

• router admin password as used for the local [W]LAN login form the browser or the Nighthawk App, or
  • the login to the MyNetgear account to access the Nighthawk from remote (once enabled, which is the same as used e.g. for the login to the community)?

Last but not least, what router model, firmware version, and mobile platform (iOS or Android)?

Message 2 of 12
Gw42
Aspirant

I don't think you read my question carefully. This isn't about routers. The issue is that this web site login, for Netgear that we are using to talk to each other, has different password requirements that the latest version of the IOS Nighthawk App. Therefore, the IOS app won't accept the password that I use for this site. 

My real issue is that there seems to be no way to tell Netgear about issues like this. 

Message 3 of 12

@Gw42 wrote:

I don't think you read my question carefully. This isn't about routers.

Believe me, reading your first question carefully, and several times, leaves me none the wiser about what you are trying to achieve.

By "this web site" do you mean this Community?

Or do you mean MyNetgear?

For many people they are the same thing, other people use different credentials to get into the various places.

Then there are those who mistakenly use the label "this website" to describe the browser interface. @schumaku and I have seen that one more than once.

Finally, other people confuse their wifi passwords with the other passwords, not realising that they have to login to the wifi before they can try either of the other passwords.

I have never read of any password constraints on this Community website.

There are occasional reports of unacceptable characters in various places, but these often boil down to what their mobile devices will accept, not the sites that people are trying to enter. Is that your complaint?

Have you got MyNetgear set up and can you get into that?

MyNETGEAR | Login

If so, why do you need to enter the passwords for your local equipment? What are you trying to achieve?

Here at least, with the Android app, if I use the Nighthawk App and slide in through remote access, I have no need to mess around with other passwords.

As to letting Netgear know, they have people who monitor these forums, and there are other ways of passing on problems, but first we need to understand what the real issue is.

Message 4 of 12
schumaku
Guru

@Gw42 wrote:

The issue is that this web site login, for Netgear that we are using to talk to each other, has different password requirements that the latest version of the IOS Nighthawk App. 

This Web site does not use a specific login, much more they have implemented an external authentication scheme on the community SaaS, which is also used on the Netgear Support site, Insight, Insivht Pro, Netgear does name this (My)Netgear Account. Unluckily they seem to use different access tokens for the community, for support, for Insight Web, ...

@Gw42 wrote:

Therefore, the IOS app won't accept the password that I use for this site. 

There is a lot of confusion about the passwords - wireless password, guest wireless password, admin password (where some older devices are known to refuse login attempts from the iOS Genie App), and again the (My)Netgear account which is required during the initial Nighthawk App installation:

Screenshot_20190407-133015.png

If this is the point - let us (and NTGR) know what you suspect to be the problem - password length, special characters, spaces, ' " or the like please.

A popular problem (especially on Apple users) are some special (non-ASCII) variants of - for example, what might be encoded, but not easily entered e.g. from a mobile device.

Message 5 of 12
Gw42
Aspirant

Yes, this is partly related. What I see primarily is that all the devices sold by Netgear, routers etc, and the Netgear.com website all accept the "-". It's not a matter of the encoding of the "-" it's that your site and devices accept it in a password and the IOS app does not allow it to even be entered. 

Message 6 of 12

@Gw42 wrote:

...your site ....

It isn't our site.

...the IOS app does not allow it to even be entered. 

It this is an iOS thing that affects other suppliers, then the issue tracks back to Apple.

Or you could simply change your passwords to something that Apple allows.

Message 7 of 12
Gw42
Aspirant

I guess I need to simply the issue. 

The IOS Nighthawk App will not accept, or even allow to be typed, characters like the "-". That means that I cannot use the app to connect as I cannot enter any password with a "-". You are trying to read something more complex into the issue. All of my router, extender, community and Netgear.com logins works just fine and I am perfectly clear as to which are which. However an App that doesn't allow for a "-" makes it hard to use the app. And before you say, oh just change you password ; The point I am trying to make is that all of Netgear sites and devices allow the "-" and the App does not. 

Message 8 of 12
Gw42
Aspirant

Correct it isn't the site. It is the App. However I must humbly disagree that it is an IOS thing. I use dashes in all my IOS passwords, even for this site and even from the previous app "Netgear Genie". However this new Nighthawk IOS App will not accept dashes. 

This is a very simple programming issue. It's very obvious that it can be fixed as it already works in the previous Netgear Genie app. It simply needs to be fixed. 

Message 9 of 12

I think I get it now. You want the iOS app to do what the rest of us can do on Android apps.

If I remember, I'll pass it on to @DarrenM and the team, although I have a feeling that it is a known issue. But fixing it is increasingly important now that Netgear has given the Genie the death sentence.

The bad news is that in general Netgear does a poor job with iOS apps. I fear that the bug you have spotted is trivial alongside some of the more serious crimes against programming that have gone on in Netgear towers. You can't even work round them in the way that this one is avoidable.

Message 10 of 12
Gw42
Aspirant

Thanks, the Genie Death sentence is exactly why I'm making a fuss. 

Message 11 of 12
schumaku
Guru

When I see that the router Web UI "Genie", the Genie App, and the Nighthawk App does show basically three tomes different information (e.g. Device Types, often different number of attached devices, ...) there are much more problems with what supposed to be design and standardisation on Apps and APIs
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7