Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk app "Unable to connect to router" with Anywhere Access disabled

amonynuts
Apprentice

Nighthawk app "Unable to connect to router" with Anywhere Access disabled

Nighthawk app v2.13.1.4.  RAX45 AX4300 AX6 router FW version 1.0.5.106_2.0.70.  (Also my SSID doesn't start with NETGEAR)

The Nighthawk app seems to have trouble connecting to the local Netgear RAX45 router that the phone is connected to over WiFi if I disable Anywhere Access.  I can go through the RECONNECT process and the app discovers that it's already connected to this configured router, but the Nighthawk app says "Unable to connect to router" every time the app is restarted, requiring me to go through the setup process every time.  Secondly, if I don't disable Anywhere Access then the app will switch from local access to the cloud Anywhere Access whenever the app is restarted, and no longer allow me to access the router locally.

For security reasons, I'd prefer to keep Anywhere Access disabled and only manage the router when I'm connected locally, but the app doesn't seem to work this way.

Message 1 of 4

Re: Nighthawk app "Unable to connect to router" with Anywhere Access disabled

@amonynuts wrote:

(Also my SSID doesn't start with NETGEAR)

What has that got to do with things? I assume you mentioned it for a reason.

The Nighthawk app seems to have trouble connecting to the local Netgear RAX45 router that the phone is connected to over WiFi if I disable Anywhere Access.  I can go through the RECONNECT process and the app discovers that it's already connected to this configured router, but the Nighthawk app says "Unable to connect to router" every time the app is restarted, requiring me to go through the setup process every time. 

Looks like a firmware/device issue.

Just played with an R7800 and disabling Anywhere Access does not  make the app fall over. (You do have to restart the app for changes to kick in.) It just leaves me limited to local access.

Secondly, if I don't disable Anywhere Access then the app will switch from local access to the cloud Anywhere Access whenever the app is restarted, and no longer allow me to access the router locally.

Again,that's not what I see.

Nighthawk app v2.13.1.4.  RAX45 AX4300 AX6 router FW version 1.0.5.106_2.0.70.  (Also my SSID doesn't start with NETGEAR)

As we are talking about a RAX device, you could also bring it up in the section for that:

Nighthawk Routers with WiFi 6 (AX) - NETGEAR Communities

Message 2 of 4
amonynuts
Apprentice

@michaelkenward Thanks for testing the Nighthawk app on your R7800.  I mentioned the SSID in case that had any effect on the app's ability to find the router; I might also mention that my SSID is currently "hidden", but of course the app should be able to connect to the router easily enough at the IP address 192.168.1.1 or routerlogin.net, since my WiFi is attached to this router and "local network access" is also enabled for the app.

Perhaps it is specific to RAX models or firmware.  Also I'm running iOS 14.8.1, which might make a difference.

Oddly enough, the app is actually able to show my attached devices in the Device Manager tab, show usage in Traffic Meter, and show WiFi configuration, while at the same time protesting that it's "unable to connect to router".

BTW, I did try reinstalling the app half a dozen times, rebooting the router, and I did file a bug report on the app.

Message 3 of 4
amonynuts
Apprentice

Note that this issue is still unresolved using a different RAX45 router with factory default settings, latest router firmware V1.0.10.110_2.0.75, and latest Nighthawk app V2.14.0.214 on iOS 15.3.1.

Each time I run the app, the "Unable to Connect" message appears, and I have to go through "New Setup" (and hit "next" about 10 times) before the app says that this router is already configured.   A Netgear Support case is outstanding.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7