Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk app using same SSID for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz - Error: SSID name is already being used

Fingolfin
Aspirant

Nighthawk app using same SSID for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz - Error: SSID name is already being used

I wanted to set the SSID of my 2.4Ghz network to match the SSID on my 5Ghz network - both on the same router/cable modem. I tried doing this in the Nighthawk app but it kept giving me the error "The SSID name is already being used" when I tried to use the same name for the second network. There doesn't seem to be a way to get around this error in the Nighthawk app.

I had to use the genie software on the router itself by logging into the router. The genie software can be accessed by entering the router IP address 192.168.0.1 into the browser while attached wirelessly or via ethernet to the router. This allowed me to log into the Netgear genie app and change both to the same name.

I'm posting this because I wasn't able to find a resolution to this problem elsewhere in the forums.

Interestingly, I am unable to do this for the guest network in the same genie software. It gives me the error "2.4G and 5G have the same SSID" and won't allow the same name to be used. If anyone knows why Netgear does this when using the same SSID is so helpful, please reply. If someone from Netgear reads this, please have the company change the Nighthawk app and genie software to allow using the same SSID for both the standard and guest networks.

Message 1 of 4

Re: Nighthawk app using same SSID for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz - Error: SSID name is already being used

It all depends on the hardware and how you go about controlling it.

As you don't reveal the model number it is anybody's guess as to why you had problems. Then again, you are trying to do something that is not always a good idea.

If you visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

you can feed in your model number and find the documentation for your hardware.

Look for the model number on the label on the device.

Message 2 of 4
Fingolfin
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk app using same SSID for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz - Error: SSID name is already being used

Thanks for the reply.

The model is AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router C7000v2

It appears that this is not an issue with the hardware though as it can be done. The issue appears to be with the apps/software driving the hardware and what it allows.

Yes, there are reasons why you would or would not use a single SSID.

While a message or warning may be appropriate, the app or software should not prevent that choice by the user.

Yes, I read the manual and nothing in it outlines the inability of or warning against using a single SSID for the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks.

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 3 of 4

@Fingolfin wrote:

The model is AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router C7000v2

There's a bit of a problem with most cable modem/routers. Since they have been unleashed on the world they are beyond your, or Netgear's control.

The firmware is locked down and can't be upgraded.

It seems that modem/routers also come with a smaller choice of router features

That's one reason why some users prefer to keep modems and routers apart, as separate boxes.

More recent routers use different wifi technology and go out of their way to allow people to use the same SSID and password. For example, Orbi's Mesh routers upset some people by not allowing them to have separate SSIDs.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7